K, I posted this is Electric Guitar, but someone said I might get more help here.

So heres the problem. I'll try to make up solos / riffs for songs, but it sounds really bland and raw, if you know what I'm saying. It sounds boring. I try to incorporate string bends and hammers/pull-offs into it and such, but it still dosen't sound exciting. Like, I'll be improvising a solo to Enter Sandman, and though I'm in the right key, it doesn't fit the song and sounds bad to me. If anyone wants me to clarify what I'm talking about (not really sure how to explain it better right now), then feel free to ask. Any help is appreciated!
I'm in the same boat as you.

Just try to use the entire fretboard.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
are you playing strictly in key, sometimes if you do it right you cna break thescale with a differente note that sounds good and makes the solo sound more pronounced. other than that its really just hitting that point. like a realization moment where you just rip out this solo, whether it be through inspiration of listening to a song, or getting really pissed off at someone or something and letting it out in the song a la unforgiven since you seem to like the black album.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
what you really need to do is to play what you WANT to hear. Rather than play what you know is in key and listen to see if it sounded good, you need to decide what will sound good and then try to play it on the guitar. you still play in key, but you just need to know which notes you can and can't hit, and then just try different things until you hear what you're looking for.

this will be hard at first. it will take you a lot of practice to really start knowing what you need to do to get each kind of sound you want, but once it starts happening, it gets easier and easier. you need to understand intervals, and how they relate to the frets. and then you'll be able to start licks from any position you want, and moving all over the fretboard will get easier and easier.

click the links in my sig. they are what clarified everything for me.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Oct 18, 2008,
Quote by frigginjerk
what you really need to do is to play what you WANT to hear. Rather than play what you know is in key and listen to see if it sounded good, you need to decide what will sound good and then try to play it on the guitar. you still play in key, but you just need to know which notes you can and can't hit, and then just try different things until you hear what you're looking for.

this will be hard at first. it will take you a lot of practice to really start knowing what you need to do to get each kind of sound you want, but once it starts happening, it gets easier and easier. you need to understand intervals, and how they relate to the frets. and then you'll be able to start licks from any position you want, and moving all over the fretboard will get easier and easier.

+1, this is exactly my philosophy when it comes to guitar and music in general.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Yet Again I agree with What friggenjerk said and most importantly
FEEL the music, be Adventurous!
^ its important to "feel" the music, the thing is the TS needs to learn a little theory and about intervals to be able to interpret and play what he feels.
I'm actualy having the same problem. I think what I learned was that you shouldn't campare it so stongly to the recording. You should play the same key, of course, but make it YOU. Make it sound like something new (within reason). Throw some things that you havent tried before in there and step out of your comfort zone to explore what else flows and what doesn't.
R.I.P Hendrix
Try to make an emotional connection in the solo... Don't try to be flashy and fancy, just play what feels right. Unless, you want to sound fancy and stuff. Then tap like a mofo and run up and down scales at 20 billion bpm.
If you really want to know how to solo you have to sit down and think about what will sound good. Analyze some of the guitarists in your genre of music and see how they play. Better yet, learn another guitarist's solo completely and be able to play it flawlessly, then analyze how the solo is constructed (16 notes, triplets, arpeggios, etc.).

The basis for soloing is having enough material to go off of so you can mix and match notes and patterns so it sounds different each time you play. This is the concept of jazz, where you memorize many, many different licks in different keys so you can essentially "fill in the gaps" when it comes to playing.

I sucked at first, but got better once I started listing and learning to play solos of my inspirational players. It might help if you learn music theory.

Also, the best way to learn how to solo is to keep doing it (no matter how much you think it sucks), and start small when you first begin.

Also, the most important thing I've come to realize is that sitting down and "writing out a solo" can be the most important thing you will every do to learn how to solo. Really sit there and make up something on your own (as long as it may take), and then play it at appropriate tempo. You will learn so much on what sounds good, and you can apply it to your playing on the spot the more you play.

Like everything else, practice makes perfect. Start learning what others are doing and go from there.

G man
Quote by frigginjerk

+1 to this man.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.