hey guys, so i play in a band and own a crate glx1200 half stack (about$500), it has a pretty sweet tone at low volumes but when you turn up to play over a drummer at a show low notes and chords arent clear at all, it just sounds like muddy, broken up...well crap, am i doing something wrong here or do i just have a less than up to par half stack? if it helps at all i play hard rock/metal music and will soon have the funds to purchase a new amp if necessary so recommend one if thats my problem
It's probably the SS circuit clipping because of the high volume which, as you described, sounds like crap.

So yes, a new amp would be in line. It would've been a good idea in the first place, but the clipping just gives you all the more reason to replace it.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Just because its a half stack doesnt mean its amazing

Its SS, they do that when turned up.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
A tube amp would be a wise investment. Unlike SS amps, they sound better and better the louder you go.
ok thats what i thought but ive never owned a tube amp, i didnt wanna just get one if that wasnt the problem, any recommendations on a good metal tube amp for preferably under $800, oh and is it just the head or do i need a new cab?
Prepare for the used 5150 combo or Bugera replies.

A combo is a lot louder than you think.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
off the top of my head: randall rg50tc, b-52 at-212, bugera 6260, 6262, 333, 333xl, used 5150/6505 combo...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by JamesMarshall13
the bugera 6262 looks like the favorite to me, any thoughts?

Its pretty much a clone of a Peavey 6505, and its seem like the best options for cheap tube combos.

Prepare for loudness though.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Bugera. I haven't had a swing at their cabs yet, but you might be ok with running youur crate cab with the bugera if everything matches up (check ohms). I would recomend looking into a Marshall 1960 or a nice used Randall cab eventuall.
then you're good. I'd really suggest that Bugera that's the 5150 copy and run it with you're cab. If you really like the cleans on you're Crate or something i'd keep it and A/B switch it, if not then sell it!
You could buy the Bugera now then get a 4x12 used at a later time, I think in the end you'll like that better then the combo. More versital having a head if you want to ever build a rack system for you're guitar or anything like so if you're band thing is serious and keeps growing..