Page 1 of 2
I'm planning on getting a Crate V50 tube amp and using overdrive/distortion pedals over the clean channel. I need some suggestions for a versitale pedal that can give me some tones I need. (I would really like it to sound good through a wah, also.)

I play Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, SRV, Guns N Roses, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd...

Also, please let me know anything else you may recommend.

Some pedals I've been looking at:
MXR Silicon FUZZ
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
BOSS SuperOverdrive
Ibanez Tubescreamer
EH Metal Muff
Last edited by electrictone at Oct 18, 2008,
Boss DS-1 easily, imo. Plus they are very very cheap.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
The DS-1 or the TS-9 are both good for that classic rock/blues sound. For metal use it with the distorted channel.
Quote by silly hats
Boss DS-1 easily, imo. Plus they are very very cheap.

DS-1's seem good. But I don't think they're very versitale tone wise. They pretty much have that one sound to them. But hey, they $40, who would it hurt, lol?
How about it compared to the Super Overdrive?
Quote by AcousticSlayer
Get a ME-50, its got all of those pedals and many more!

I'm not a big fan of multi-effects; I just sold mine.

I have tried the unit though, well built, not too bad, just has more than I need and costs a bit more than I'd like to spend. Plus, I prefer the individual pedals.
Yeah, I like mine, but it takes awhile to get everything preset right and figure out what works well and what doesn't.

Individual pedal, I would go with the DS-1
Don't get a DS-1. Whoever sugested that is just flat out wrong. It'll sound like ass through your clean channel. If you want an entry level pedal to give you some gain, get a TS808. Not a TS9, an 808. It sounds alot better. If you're familiar with how to mod pedals then you could get a TS9 and mod it to TS808 specs with little trouble, but if you don't know how to do it then just buy the 808.

If you want something that'll really blow your doors off, get a Keeley Modded Tubescreamer.

EDIT: I mean it man, don't get the DS-1. It's really not that great. A tubescreamer would suit you much much better. Go to your nearest guitar store and try them both out so you can see how not good the DS-1 is.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Last edited by VoodooCow229 at Oct 18, 2008,
Quote by VoodooCow229
Don't get a DS-1...

Thanks for the tip.

When you say mod, do you mean replacing components on the circuit board?
Last edited by electrictone at Oct 18, 2008,
You'll regret buying a ds-1.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

How is a TS808 an entry-level pedal? That thing is close to $200 new.

electritone, your recommended pedal choices and price ranges are really all over the map.

Here's what I would recommend avoiding based on your style preferences:
The DS-1 is a very trebly distortion best suited for lead playing, particularly popular among shredheads.
The Metal Muff doesn't have any low gain settings.

If you're looking to go super cheap you could also take a look at the Bad Monkey (TS9 knock-off), or the Cool Cat Series (Dano's FAB series was mostly crap, but the Cool Cat stuff has some potential).

There's also a bunch more options in the $120-$150 range since you mentioned the Silicon Fuzz: MI Audio, Voodoo Lab, or Maxon.
The DS-1 was originally made to boost a tube amp, not for it's own distortion. When I suggested it I meant using to boost the overdrive channel for a metal sound.
Fulltone '70 perhaps?

Sounds like you could also use a Vox V847 wah, or if you've got some soldering experience, a modded crybaby would be an equally good alternative.
Quote by FlyingBeerman
How is a TS808 an entry-level pedal? That thing is close to $200 new.

electritone, your recommended pedal choices and price ranges are really all over the map.

Here's what I would recommend avoiding based on your style preferences:
The DS-1 is a very trebly distortion best suited for lead playing, particularly popular among shredheads.
The Metal Muff doesn't have any low gain settings.

If you're looking to go super cheap you could also take a look at the Bad Monkey (TS9 knock-off), or the Cool Cat Series (Dano's FAB series was mostly crap, but the Cool Cat stuff has some potential).

There's also a bunch more options in the $120-$150 range since you mentioned the Silicon Fuzz: MI Audio, Voodoo Lab, or Maxon.

The DS-1 is not a great pedal. If you need something to boost your gain for shred, use a tubescreamer. I as a shredhead HATE that pedal. It's the Marshall MG of distortion pedals IMHO. I recommend a TS-5 or a TS-7 for stuff like 80s Metal and blues. The OD can give you a little to a massive amount of gain

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by MulanoSG
The DS-1 is not a great pedal. If you need something to boost your gain for shred, use a tubescreamer. I as a shredhead HATE that pedal. It's the Marshall MG of distortion pedals IMHO. I recommend a TS-5 or a TS-7 for stuff like 80s Metal and blues. The OD can give you a little to a massive amount of gain

These guys wish to disagree:

Just because it didn't fit with your rig, doesn't mean it's a horrible pedal. Although I would agree that it's definitely not the right pedal for the OP.
diamond j-drive mark 3
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
TS9 (or TS9DX) would be a great choice, or a TS808 if you really want to spend some money.

Also, look into a Fulltone OCD. Great OD/distortion pedal that sounds amazing
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
A lot of the tone's you're looking for just call for the cranked vintage Marshall tone.

Look at the fulltone OCD and Zvex Box of Rock. I personally think the tube screamers are super overrated and really do not sound THAT good.

But definitely check out these other two, the Box of Rock has a very nice clean boost circuit too.
+1 to keeley.

doesn't the crate get good rock tones, though?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by al112987
A lot of the tone's you're looking for just call for the cranked vintage Marshall tone.

Look at the fulltone OCD and Zvex Box of Rock. I personally think the tube screamers are super overrated and really do not sound THAT good.

But definitely check out these other two, the Box of Rock has a very nice clean boost circuit too.

This is also a very good suggestion. Box of Rock's really get that great marshall sound.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Hey how would the Marshall Guv'nor or Bluesbreaker sound? They look awesome.
Last edited by electrictone at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by electrictone
Hey how would the Marshall Guv'nor or Bluesbreaker sound? They look awesome.

I've heard them and they sound ok. Probably good if you're on a budget. otherwise get the box of rock
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
I've heard them and they sound ok. Probably good if you're on a budget. otherwise get the box of rock

I can't find an online store with the box of rock, do you have a link?
Thanks.
find a used OCD.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by electrictone
I'm planning on getting a Crate V50 tube amp and using overdrive/distortion pedals over the clean channel. I need some suggestions for a versitale pedal that can give me some tones I need. (I would really like it to sound good through a wah, also.)

I play Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, SRV, Guns N Roses, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd...

Also, please let me know anything else you may recommend.

Some pedals I've been looking at:
MXR Silicon FUZZ
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
BOSS SuperOverdrive
Ibanez Tubescreamer
EH Metal Muff

For the pedals, here's my 2 cents: If you're set on a mass-produced Fuzz Face type pedal, go for the MXR Silicon Fuzz or the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix fuzz. The red Dunlop Fuzz Faces are bad. I'll always recommend the Hartman BC108 fuzz though.

Get the Tube Screamer over the Boss SD-1, as Boss pedals have bad bypass and will mess with the tone of your fuzz. If you need a pedal for metal tones, go for the Metal Muff. You can't do much better for that sound with a pedal.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by Thefallofman
For the pedals, here's my 2 cents: If you're set on a mass-produced Fuzz Face type pedal, go for the MXR Silicon Fuzz or the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix fuzz. The red Dunlop Fuzz Faces are bad. I'll always recommend the Hartman BC108 fuzz though.

Get the Tube Screamer over the Boss SD-1, as Boss pedals have bad bypass and will mess with the tone of your fuzz. If you need a pedal for metal tones, go for the Metal Muff. You can't do much better for that sound with a pedal.

So if you were to just get one pedal for right now, which one would you start out with?
Thanks for the reply btw.
Quote by electrictone
So if you were to just get one pedal for right now, which one would you start out with?
Thanks for the reply btw.

The Tube Screamer would be my pick. Another good move would be to go for a Digitech Bad Monkey (a much cheaper Tube Screamer clone... $50 and they're fantastic) for classic rock and bluesy stuff, and then that will free up your wallet to get another pedal soon. At that point you could go for a fuzz or metal distortion.

The Tube Screamer is the most versatile pedal on your list and will get you by on most things.

And no problem.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by Thefallofman
The Tube Screamer would be my pick...

Cool, would the TS-9 (or DX) be alright? The TS808 is a bit expensive, so I'm kind of leaning towards the TS-9 or TS-9DX.

Also, not trying to be biased against Digitech, but does the bad monkey offer a good analog tone, not digital like lots of their other pedals? Again, I don't want to sound against Digitech... I owned one of their multi fx units and sold it because it just was a bit too digital.
For fuzz find a vintage Sovtek Big Muff, the green one, it can nail Hendrix tones. Definatly look into the tubescreamer over the ds-1.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Page 1 of 2