Hi, I've taken several theory classes, but this issue has crept up lately. When I hear some songs in 4/4, they appear to have a couple extra bars on the end that don't fit. Take this one for example:

When he sings the first line: I was tryin' to find my way home, but all I heard was a drone,

At the end of that line, it seems like there is a run off of one or two bars. I've also noticed this in other songs that I can't think of right now.

Is there a commonality in rock music where the 4/4 structure is ignored at the end of a phrase?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, please let me know.

I'm really bad at explaining this, but say in Radio Nowhere, the first line goes:

F#/D/A/E

If I keep going with the 4/4, it would like

F#/D/A/E F#/D/A/E F#/D/A/E F#/D/A/E

Surely, it doesn't sound like he goes right back into that progression. What I feel like I'm hearing is

F#/D/A/E (strum E for a second) then back into F#/D/A/E
I'm listening to it now. It sounds...like regular 4/4 time.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I'm listening to it now. It sounds...like regular 4/4 time.

Yeah, I'm not hearing anything confusing at all here. Half a bar of each chord.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
How about the guitar response towards the end of the song when Bruce sings, "This is Radio Nowhere"

Then you hear the guitar part before he sings, "Is there anybody alive out there?"

How does that guitar part fit into the 4/4?
you clearly have no idea about time signatures, if there are drums just listen to the hats and youll see how simple it is.
I'm not hearing anything that suggests anything other than 4/4. The song is a typical, simple, generic, 4/4 rhythm.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
This is Bruce Springsteen, the king of simple, old-school rock n' roll, not Dream Theater.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.