Poll: Which would you choose
Poll Options
View poll results: Which would you choose
Peavey Windsor
15 65%
Crate V33h
8 35%
Voters: 23.
I have the opportunity to pick up either of these amps this week and was wondering which one people think is the better amp and why? I play mostly bluesy rock in the vein of Guns N Roses, Great White, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin. Please let me know your opinions. I am really not interested in suggestions for other amps either as these are what I have the funding for right now. I have played the Windsor and have not played the V33h. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Haven't heard the crate, but I'd feel the Windsor would do great for most of those - you may need to crank it a bit more for GnR tone, though. I may suggest an Epiphone so-cal 50 - That would do a great job as well, and would be more versatile - 120W valve/tube is a lot of power.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
ive never played the windsor, but on paper it looks like THE amp for that. i often wonder why more people dont use them, i hope its not because it doesnt sound good.
its a one channel amp, so you must turn it up loud.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
the windsor doesn't have any cleans to it, which i'm guessing is why it's not seen so often. even rolling back the guitar's volume doesn't work... it's weird.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I've heard there are some mods to remedy that? Maybe?
I think the windsors are pretty good though. But I like the Crate's better.
But, I agree, on paper, it looks excellent
yeah fja mods does a clean mod to it, which is nice. the amp has some nice gain to it, i liked it when i tried it, but i doubt i'd use it as a main amp with it's lack of cleanness.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

i just watched a youtube video of it with a vintage strat, sounded nice. no cleans like previously stated though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Go with the Windsor. It's awesome for all the bands you listed. I have one and love it. It can run circles around the Crate (and the flagship Marshalls I played alongside it at the store when I was looking at heads), if you take the time to learn how to use it.

And, yes, the Windsor does have cleans......you can either turn down the preamp volume, or learn how to turn your guitar volume down, lighten up on your picking, and not dig into the strings so hard it breaks up, and get a nice clean that way. Watch Page or Hendrix play live and you'll see how this can be done on a cranked, one-channel tube amp. Go ahead and say I'm wrong--but I have a Windsor and I can go from roaring overdriven riffs to clean, ringing chords, just with a lighter attack and a twist of the volume knob.

Too many people want a ton of pedals and channels to get all their tones. There are a million tones in your hands, your pickup selector, and in your guitar knobs. Learn how to find them, go forth, and prosper.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Last edited by BHowell at Oct 18, 2008,
its a one channel no clean amp. i think it sucks.

It tries to replicate a marshally crunch sound, but half-asses it. and no cleans at all like said before.
Thanks for all the responses so far and thanks for the info BHowell. Cleans are not a huge deal to me as I do not do much clean stuff and have a different amp that has great cleans that I can A/B.
Quote by BHowell
And, yes, the Windsor does have cleans......you can either turn down the preamp volume, or learn how to turn your guitar volume down, lighten up on your picking, and not dig into the strings so hard it breaks up, and get a nice clean that way.

yeah, that's what most tube amps do... but you'd have to have that amp so quiet to get cleans, it's not really worth trying. not saying it's a bad amp, i like the dirty tone, but the cleans are virtually non-existent.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by mindstealer
Thanks for all the responses so far and thanks for the info BHowell. Cleans are not a huge deal to me as I do not do much clean stuff and have a different amp that has great cleans that I can A/B.

In that case. it may be a good amp for you.
Quote by mindstealer

Then I say the windsor would be an awesome amp for you
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by BHowell
Go with the Windsor. It's awesome for all the bands you listed. I have one and love it. It can run circles around the Crate (and the flagship Marshalls I played alongside it at the store when I was looking at heads), if you take the time to learn how to use it.

And, yes, the Windsor does have cleans......you can either turn down the preamp volume, or learn how to turn your guitar volume down, lighten up on your picking, and not dig into the strings so hard it breaks up, and get a nice clean that way. Watch Page or Hendrix play live and you'll see how this can be done on a cranked, one-channel tube amp. Go ahead and say I'm wrong--but I have a Windsor and I can go from roaring overdriven riffs to clean, ringing chords, just with a lighter attack and a twist of the volume knob.

Too many people want a ton of pedals and channels to get all their tones. There are a million tones in your hands, your pickup selector, and in your guitar knobs. Learn how to find them, go forth, and prosper.

Some amps clean up with their guitar's volume better than others. Even a lot of tube amps don't clean up particularly well. I haven't played a Peavey Winsdor before but I have played plenty of tube amps which have a hard time cleaning up without losing a significant amount of volume.
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am definately leaning more towards the Windsor at this moment. I would like to hear some comments from people who have played the V33h anyone?
Quote by mindstealer
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am definately leaning more towards the Windsor at this moment. I would like to hear some comments from people who have played the V33h anyone?

What do you want to know
Quote by imgooley
What do you want to know

I would like to know how the distortion is for my style, i.e. Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Great White. How is the volume in a band situation. How is the overall tone.
Quote by mindstealer
I would like to know how the distortion is for my style, i.e. Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Great White. How is the volume in a band situation. How is the overall tone.

I can record some Zeppelin clips for you tomorrow, but I have a bunch up on my profile.

It's most definitely loud enough to balance with a hard hitting drummer and bassist, and probably another guitar player if you balance it right.

Even though it's a channel switching amp, the two channels are voice so differently and share an eq, that it's more like 2 amps in one.

It breaks up fairly early, but this can be remedied with a a 12AT7 in V3.

I like the tone very much, personally. I've yet to run it through another cab, but I like it.
Thanks for the info imgooley. I ended up picking up the Windsor head today but I put my Peavey Classic 120 power amp for sale today and if it sells may pick up a V33 just because I really dig what I have heard of the clean channel and feel it would be a good compliment to the Windsor's drive. Thanks to all who have responded.
^ and the v33 head is under $200. i'm dying to snag one too. but either way, you got a nice amp for a decent amount of money.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Yeah I got a great deal on the Windsor. I was able to pick it up for $200. I am happy with my purchase so far. The guy I bought it off of was using it as a back up and put about 20-30 hours use into it.
If you want to flip it in a few months, shoot me a PM.
very nice
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I will post some pics this evening or tomorrow. I haven't had the chance to record any clips yet. This is the head.