So i have to convince my parents the difference between a guitar amp and a home stereo amp, so i could actually buy a guitar amp.. Or there actually is no different?
why can't people play guitar on home stereo amp anyway?
A guitar amp is made for sound creation. A stereo amp is made for sound recreation.

Guitar amps are made for midrange and treble frequencies - stereo amps are made to capture all the frequencies present in a recording.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
A guitar amp is made for sound creation. A stereo amp is made for sound recreation.

Guitar amps are made for midrange and treble frequencies - stereo amps are made to capture all the frequencies present in a recording.

yes. no gain at all can come from a home stereo without blowing it, and the full spectrum voicing makes it sound dry and overall unpleasing. you will hear what your guitar sounds like, but nothing else, it just doesnt sound Right.
I smell a potential win thread.

*thinks back to that last good thread that heaps of people were warned for*
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Hmm.... well there's quite a few achually. But I think you'll understand it very soon with people on here. Don't try playing you're guitar through a stereo, and especially dont put a distortion pedal between the two, or bye bye stereo.

Go to GC and mess around.
Nonsense.

I went to a friends house with another friend and we lacked one amp.

I plugged my multieffects pedal into his receiver and bam. Worked fine, i got all the distortions from the pedal.

Will sound like crap though.
Quote by pacoasterrider
It sounded like crap because you were damaging the speakers. .

it shouldn't damage the speakers. in reality it sounds crap because hi-fi amps are voiced transparently and that doesn't work for guitar. In short, they make guitar amps for a reason.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by 4regt4
The threadstarter joined in 2005... this has GOT to be a joke.

or maybe his amp broke and his parents won't let him get a new one because they have a perfectly good stereo amp.

i don't think we should start up this copypasta again.. the mods didn't like it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Last edited by Blompcube at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by Blompcube
or maybe his amp broke and his parents won't let him get a new one because they have a perfectly good stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube... etc etc.

i don't think we should start up this copypasta again.. the mods didn't like it.

That has nothing to do with his question about a guitar amp and hi-fi amp being the same thing. Someone that has been part of the UG community for 3 years, even if that is their only source of knowledge, should know their differences and know that they are not the same thing.
Quote by 4regt4
That has nothing to do with his question about a guitar amp and hi-fi amp being the same thing. Someone that has been part of the UG community for 3 years, even if that is their only source of knowledge, should know their differences and know that they are not the same thing.

it seems to me like his main point was he was trying to convince his parents that there was a difference because they didn't believe him. Not everyone even raises the question themselves about whether theres a difference, maybe this is the first time he's thought about it? i don't see this discussed on here very often.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Blompcube
it seems to me like his main point was he was trying to convince his parents that there was a difference because they didn't believe him. Not everyone even raises the question themselves about whether theres a difference, maybe this is the first time he's thought about it? i don't see this discussed on here very often.

Sounds like he has the stereo amp already, so my suggestion would be to give it a try. If it is good enough, then fine, otherwise he will have proof for his parents that there is a problem.
sighh... the question is not.. What my guitar will sound like.. IT sounds like fu*king crap.. I've tried it.. THE QUESTION IS WHY IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP AND Guitar Amp Doesn't.. Whats the DIFFERENT IN THE SYSTEM?

And for me being here for 3 years, and just asked this question,, LIke why is that such a problem? i have reasons.. do i have to make anew ID.. ffs.
Quote by valve
sighh... the question is not.. What my guitar will sound like.. IT sounds like fu*king crap.. I've tried it.. THE QUESTION IS WHY IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP AND Guitar Amp Doesn't.. Whats the DIFFERENT IN THE SYSTEM?

And for me being here for 3 years, and just asked this question,, LIke why is that such a problem? i have reasons.. do i have to make anew ID.. ffs.

to put it simply, guitar amps are made to make electric guitars sound good, hi-fis aren't. thw main difference is the frequenxy response, guitar amps are made to focus on the frequencies produced by a guitar, hi-fis are rounded, focusing on all frequencies evenly, which consequently will make a guitar being played through it sound like ass. Also hi-fis are meant to hand line level incoming signals and not instrument level incoming signals like you would get from a guitar.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
if the frequencies is the different,, so is it possible to match hi-fi frequency as like guitar amps, since they could be tweaked,, right? or not?
Quote by valve
if the frequencies is the different,, so is it possible to match hi-fi frequency as like guitar amps, since they could be tweaked,, right? or not?

no, the circuitry just isn't designed to handle that sort of thing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If you have a practice amp try playing a ipod through it. That wont sound good ether. Hi-Fi has a different dynamic range handling, and basically KidThorazine hit it perfectly

Question;

Are guitar amps not made to match a Hi-Fi because it costs more to amplify stereo and huge dynamic range machines such as stereos loudly compared to a mono less-frequency amp. Like how power amps for a sound system cost so much for a solid state circuitry as compared to the power amp section of a amplifier (I've been told when you're buying a solid state amp, 1/2 for pre amp, 1/4 for post, and 1/4 for speakers, and another 1/4 for the wood and stuff cause there overpriced ha.)
Last edited by pacoasterrider at Oct 20, 2008,
I had a friend who did that with his stereo when his amp broke. He just plugged distortion pedals into his stereo. It sounded like shit.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by valve

The reason?

Because It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works

In all seriousness, it's most likely a transistor amp. Also, the voicing is flat to create a high fidelity play back, and the speakers are flat response.
There are several reasons why this will not sound "good" first impedence matching. The guitar signal is at a different level then the home stereo expects to see. The result is a very tinny sound. The second (already mentioned) is that guitar amps are designed to cut out some of the more unpleasent high overtones and focus the sound in the spectrum guitar sound best at. The third is that guitar speakers and enclosures add a lot to the sound.
If you really want to experimetn with using high fi gear you would need to get some way of matching impedence. EQ the sound a lot, and do some mods and experimentation. I think the only sound you would be able to get, with a lot of work would be a nin broken erra type sound. All in in it is cheaper to go with a small practice amp. If you really want to start playing, and a re careful with levels you can get it to sound alright enough for some basic practising. No tone, crap sustain, but as a start to learn how to fret notes and not get buzz it should work. A different option would to be to get a small amp modeler and use that into your computer, and hook the computer to the stereo. Latency may be an issue, and it will still not sound great, but it will work better and let you experiment with a bit more sound wise, and record your work. Just never tell any body in music production I said this was a good idea
^ummmm ........necrobump much?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me