can anyone tell me how i can start learning to "improv" harmonize with metal riffs? (iron maiden, metallica, judas priest, etc are my influences)

i need to learn to do this because ill be jamming with some friends soon so i want to be able to throw out some harmonized stuff.

and unfortunately i dont know shit about theory, so im sort of looking for a technique or trick to harmony in riffs. thanks!
Quote by ilikeplayguitar
can anyone tell me how i can start learning to "improv" harmonize with metal riffs? (iron maiden, metallica, judas priest, etc are my influences)

i need to learn to do this because ill be jamming with some friends soon so i want to be able to throw out some harmonized stuff.

and unfortunately i dont know shit about theory, so im sort of looking for a technique or trick to harmony in riffs. thanks!

Learn their solos. Then you'll have an idea of what they're doing.

Any other explanations would probably not make sense to you if you " don't know shit about theory" as you mentioned.

If you take some time and start looking into theory eventually you will be able to understand it from that perspective, but it takes awhile. You have to spend some time with the fundamentals 1st.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by exect4500
know the notes of the riff and play it in a different key

The harmonization he's talking about would almost always be done in the same key.
TS: Harmonization is not something you just "improv". You have to know exactly what the other guitarist is playing. As has been said, if you "don't know shit about theory" there's not much we can do for you. The technique required at least a basic understanding of intervals and the diatonic scale, and knowledge of the notes on the fretboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Supersig to the rescue!

Read about intervals in the theory link in my sig.

Here's a lesson strictly on harmonizing for once you understand intervals: http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/soloing/soloing_basics_ii_part_3_-_harmonizing.html
if you know how to read/write sheet music, harmonising melodies is made so easy its just silly

try writing out 2 harmonised guitar parts onto the same staff and you'll see
Yea what seljer said dont worry about harmonizing. huh heres an example

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------| RYTHEM PART
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|------5--5----1--1-----5--5------------------------------------------------------|
E|------3--3----3--3-----7--7------------------------------------------------------|

IMPV. Scale
e|-----------------------------------5-----8-----------------------------------|
B|--------------------------5--8-----------------------------------------------|
G|---------------------5-7-----------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------5-7---------------------------------------------------------|
A|-----------5-7-------------------------------------------------------------|
E|------5-8--------------------------------------------------------------------|

See its not that hard gtr 1 plays the rythem the gtr 2 works with that scale.
actualy i think that scale is out of key lol! i dont have my guitar infront of me "Vaction" but I hope you get the idea.
Quote by youngncy
Yea what seljer said dont worry about harmonizing. huh heres an example

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------| RYTHEM PART
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|------5--5----1--1-----5--5------------------------------------------------------|
E|------3--3----3--3-----7--7------------------------------------------------------|

IMPV. Scale
e|-----------------------------------5-----8-----------------------------------|
B|--------------------------5--8-----------------------------------------------|
G|---------------------5-7-----------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------5-7---------------------------------------------------------|
A|-----------5-7-------------------------------------------------------------|
E|------5-8--------------------------------------------------------------------|

See its not that hard gtr 1 plays the rythem the gtr 2 works with that scale.

That's not really what he's asking.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by exect4500
know the notes of the riff and play it in a different key

you dont play it in a different key
well you can, music has no rules, BUT, most people say harmonization, as in different intervals of the scale.
like you play one riff, and have your friend play the same riff 2 notes up diatonically in the scale.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Exactly what musicTHEROYnerd said this is a hard thing to explain. Youll know it when you do it!
well you can, music has no rules,

But it does have laws, as in the laws of physics

Harmonising one idea would be polytonality, (or bitonality if you're only using one harmony). Don't do it unless you're nuts, as in Stravinsky nuts.
Call me Batman.
Harmonising one idea would be polytonality, (or bitonality if you're only using one harmony). Don't do it unless you're nuts, as in Stravinsky nuts.

What? That's ridiculous. Harmonization is incredibly common and is generally done in one key.