Page 1 of 2
The story: Well i was surfing the web and decided take a look at some Thunderbirds on Gibson's website and I clicked Gibson's bass section and i see a new bass up and the first thing that went through my mind is "holy sh*t! Did they reissue the Grabber or the G3!!". I click on this new tab and guess what I see...

Go ahead and guess...

Don't know?

Another damn Thunderbird. And to make it even worse, ANOTHER Nikki Sixx Thunderbird. Click here to see the new thunderbird Now I was thinking "what--the--fu*k, this is NOT gonna sell well" If a bassist has enough money to buy the Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird he is probably is gonna have enough common sense and bass knowledge to know their are better basses in that price range. To conclude, another epic fail from Gibson

Things to note: besides the cosmetics(which in my opinion look tacky) this has maple wings attached a mahogany and walnut neck. The regular tbird has mahogony wings. Is this gonna give some clarity to the sound? I doubt it. The new Nikki Sixx thunderbird also has less tonal variation than the regular Tbird because the Nikki Sixx one only has a volume and a tone knob. Meh, well at least it's a little cheper than the regular Thunderbird

Discuss

EDIT: Because Fitz is major Thunderbird hater, I can't wait to hear Fitz's response to this thread

EDIT 2: Ironically enough I sent Gibson an email about a week ago letting them know the flaws of the thunderbird and suggested the use of different woods and now, a week later, Gibson comes out with this new Nikki Sixx. lol
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Oct 18, 2008,
I wanted an EB-0 before I knew anything about basses.

Now I scold my ignorance.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
You know I thought you were full of it Ben, until I read this in an interview on Bassplayer.com

What’s your main bass at the moment?
I helped designed a Gibson Shavo Signature bass with a J-style neck and a ’76 Thunderbird-style body made of oak. Ernie Ball has been dipping my strings in gold, which is a soft metal that gives me a smoother tone. I usually use the B, A, D, and G strings of a 5-string set and tune down to CGCF.

All I can say oh dear god..what will Gibson do next?
Quote by jetfuel495
That

Is

Awesome
If Shavo would ever get a signature, his might actually sound decent because of the solid oak(isn't oak a bright sounding wood like maple or is it more like mahogany?) body.
Squier VM TB Bass
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
To be completely honest, this is the most tasteful Tbird I've seen yet. If it weren't for that Nikki Sixx on the pickguard I actually wouldn't mind owning it, if I had to own a Thunderbird.

As far as the Shavo sig.... Hell yeah! Can't wait to see what that oak sounds like.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by anarkee
You know I thought you were full of it Ben, until I read this in an interview on Bassplayer.com

What’s your main bass at the moment?
I helped designed a Gibson Shavo Signature bass with a J-style neck and a ’76 Thunderbird-style body made of oak. Ernie Ball has been dipping my strings in gold, which is a soft metal that gives me a smoother tone. I usually use the B, A, D, and G strings of a 5-string set and tune down to CGCF.

All I can say oh dear god..what will Gibson do next?

I have the magazine with that interview (alongside a full transcription for Virtual Insanity).

We should give Shavo more credit- he detailed how he uses a 6 string Larrivee fretless, tuning the middle strings FCGC and the outer strings to the frequency of the kick drum, laying the bass like a lapsteel guitar, and using all his hand digits to tap the strings, using the oiuter strings to match the kick drum when he wants. We all thought he was a plectrum guy, but that's pretty outside the box.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I have the magazine with that interview (alongside a full transcription for Virtual Insanity).

We should give Shavo more credit- he detailed how he uses a 6 string Larrivee fretless, tuning the middle strings FCGC and the outer strings to the frequency of the kick drum, laying the bass like a lapsteel guitar, and using all his hand digits to tap the strings, using the oiuter strings to match the kick drum when he wants. We all thought he was a plectrum guy, but that's pretty outside the box.
Wow that's pretty cool. I now actually have some respect for Shavo!
Squier VM TB Bass
Quote by Deliriumbassist
maple'll make it sound nicer methinks. And at least it has a tone knob unlike the other Nikki Sixx.

I just can't wait for Shavo's sig to come out- a fretless 5 string TBird made of oak, and EB strings dipped in gold I kid you not.

Disregarding the strings for a second, that sounds incredibly sexy. What does oak sound like?
Now, the strings. I'm guessing they sound amazing and cost a fortune. Still... gold? Good grief. On the other hand, they probably last a good while...
EDIT: ^^Forget outside the box, that's utterly f*cking brilliant.
Quote by Nikki197666
To be completely honest, this is the most tasteful Tbird I've seen yet. If it weren't for that Nikki Sixx on the pickguard I actually wouldn't mind owning it, if I had to own a Thunderbird.

As far as the Shavo sig.... Hell yeah! Can't wait to see what that oak sounds like.
Not to point out the obvious, but you could always take five minutes with a screwdriver and replace the pickguard with another one I too am wondering what an oak thunderbird would sound like.
Squier VM TB Bass
Quote by Nightfyre

Now, the strings. I'm guessing they sound amazing and cost a fortune. Still... gold? Good grief. On the other hand, they probably last a good while...

Last a while? Gold is extremely malleable- the fact it's very soft is what makes it great to use as jewellery. Easy to shape and form.
Quote by Wicked_Bassist7
why chopsticks as the fret inlays? why?
I don't like the inlays myself, but they're supposed to be X's.
Squier VM TB Bass
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Last a while? Gold is extremely malleable- the fact it's very soft is what makes it great to use as jewellery. Easy to shape and form.

Gold doesn't corrode. Those strings would probably sound the same as the day you put them on (though you'd still want to rub them down to remove oils) until (if) the gold wore off. Leaf wears off over time, not sure if the gold on these would wear off since it's dipped. If it lasts, it would be the last pair of strings you'd ever need unless you snapped a string. It's malleable, yes - the most malleable and ductile metal in existence, iirc. But strings dipped in gold wouldn't have that much gold on them - it would be like the coating on Elixer strings, except awesome.
I like the finish on that thunderbird.

"Ledgendary bassist Nikki Sixx is known as much for his superior playing ability as he is as he for his love of Thunderbird bass guitar."

Lol.

Yep, you know "The Greats". Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Nikki Sixx, Les Claypool, Geddy Lee.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'd say the gold would wear off or wear down easier than normal steel. Rub gold against steel, and steel wins every time. It would be like the coating on Elixirs- and it'll erode to the steel winding like them as well.

Blast, I didn't think of that. On the other hand, the only place it would wear off is where the strings hit the frets... and who knows, maybe the malleability of the gold would just make it dent microscopically and so you never really notice. Gold doesn't really tear, so maybe... I dunno, metalwork isn't a topic I'm very familiar with. I can hope though... that would be so cool.
a T-bird that actually looks really cool.

I'm still not buying it, but I guess Sixx can make a nice looking bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I love the finish. The Shavo sig sounds awesome as well.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Nightfyre
Forget outside the box, that's utterly f*cking brilliant.

It is. I just went from having a level of respect for him somewhere in between Pete Wentz and Duff McKagen (who is not a bad bassist, mind you, but still not that good) to actually respecting the guy. Maybe he isn't a master of technique, or much of a crazy soloer, but damn, that's amazing
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Gold strings aren't new, John Entwistle played gold plated strings when he left Rotosound.

Personally I think that T-bird looks nice, aside from the pickguard and the inlays. The pickguard can be swapped, and the inlays look reasonable without the pickguard,. so overall it looks like a nice bass.

But for 2.5k, you can do better. Easily custom territory there.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
maple'll make it sound nicer methinks. And at least it has a tone knob unlike the other Nikki Sixx.

I just can't wait for Shavo's sig to come out- a fretless 5 string TBird made of oak, and EB strings dipped in gold I kid you not.

Already knew all this - Old news ftw!

Oh, and for everyone else - Warwick are bringing out a Stuart Zender Sig Streamer at some point in the future - 2 models. One super expensive for the professionals, and a cheaper version for losers.

Just so you know.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
i had gold strings and for the record they do die, it takes a while but they die and they die badly
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
so what is the best manufacturer of thunderbirds then? i thought gibson was.
Fender: Aerodyne Precision Bass
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

BOSS: TU-2
BOSS: ODB-3
Jim Dunlop: Bass Wah Wah
Electro Harmonix: The Mole
Electro Harmonix: Bass Big Muff
Behringer: Bass Limiter Enchancer

Hartke: Kickback 12
spector made a butt ugly tbird that was actually really good.

also tokai make the best gibson tbird, it's set neck, all mahogany like a gibson but it doesn't suffer from the 3 point bridge of death problem and the QC on tokais is top notch. If i wanted a gibson i'd buy a tokai

EDIT: heres the link http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=19&category_id=6&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

sorry my bad it's alder and maple like the epi model so clearly it will sound brighter and more defined than the gibson aswell
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at Oct 19, 2008,
Tokai's have been better than Gibson across the board for a number of years now- hell, even when I was back in year 11 over one Olympiad ago, a shop I did work experience in (btw, guitar store jobs are horribly boring and tedious) had Tokai and Gibson. Every Tokai Les Paul blew the Gibson ones out of the water.
I've played the Tokai T-Bird and it really is so much better than the Gibson, it's a decent sounding bass that's worth the asking price.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
yeah max there was a tokai tbird in my local shop ages ago back when i was looking for my second bass, i narrowed it down to the tokai tbird, a tokai les paul bass and a maverick b2, i picked the maverick and really regret passing up the tbird. that being said i also regret selling the maverick
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
looks good though..
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by BassAssassin
no opti grab?
What confuses me is that in Gibson's description it mentions that the bass has the opti-grab, but in reality it clearly isn't there
Squier VM TB Bass
Quote by Deliriumbassist

If you visit some ancient buildings in the UK and see the old Oak tables the first thing that you notice are the cracks that have appeared; but then I don't suppose these Basses will last 600 years or so.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
If you visit some ancient buildings in the UK and see the old Oak tables the first thing that you notice are the cracks that have appeared; but then I don't suppose these Basses will last 600 years or so.

With advances in wood preparation techniques and woodcare, maybe currently made oak tables won't crack in 600 years time.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
With advances in wood preparation techniques and woodcare, maybe currently made oak tables won't crack in 600 years time.

Only joking a bit tongue in the cheek.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
It's actually the nicest looking T-Bird I've ever seen - very modern looking. That's like talking about a hip new cancer, but I don't mind the look. Maple won't hurt, that's for sure. And Ben was right - the fact that this bass has knobs is mind-blowing. Before, there was just a killswitch. I wish the man himself had one.

What I do love, however, is how they mentioned the OptiGrab in the description, but didn't have it on the bass in the photo.

I guess that OptiGrab is to counter the neck dive issues that are LIES and MADE UP BY ULTIMATE-GUITAR (as per Only Thunderbird Thread).

EDIT: Love the fact that they didn't bother putting fret inlays past the 12th - like anybody would need them anyway! And forget the oak T-Bird - I can't wait till his fretless 6-string that he plays lapstyle, tuning the B and C strings to the frequency of a kick drum (!?!?!?!??!). Gotta love tuning a string to something atonal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I think the whole "I hate Gibson Thunderbirds" shtick on this bass forum is mostly bullshit, by people with thier heads up their asses. Sure, some people don't like them based on a personal taste, but shit, I'm sure most people here have never even touched an actual Gibson version, let alone played one. Yeah, the Epiphones are shit, just like the Squires are shit versions of Fenders, but those are just starter instruments, what do you expect?

I was lucky enough to acquire a Gibson T bird Bass some time ago. Not only does it look damn sexy and play like sex, but i think it stands up to any Fender I've played.

Here's a question, if T birds are so shit like everyone says they are then why does Gibson spend the money on mass producing them? They discountiued the Grabber and Ripper because they were failure basses, so why not the T bird aswell? Just a thought.

C'mon, stop these retard band wagon threads.
Page 1 of 2