how good are they compared to those who play in bands?also are they more"individual"type talents?who are hired guns?
well some pretty known guitarist were sessions before...like Toto, they were all session musicians, can't think of anything else though

sessions musicians must be versatile.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
They have to be able to play something right away perfectly in other words they are incredibly talented
Traben Array Custom 5-String
Acoustic 170 Combo
Line 6 Bass Pod

They are probably just as talented or even more talented than the guys who play on stage.
Jimmy page did it for years before he joined yardbirds. He played guitar on alot of other famous bands studio tracks. (i think he even played on some the who and rolling stones album tracks)
Well, I don't know about guitarists, but I believe John Paul Jones was a session player before he joined Led Zeppelin
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Even though they are very talented they usually get hired to play some pretty easy stuff.
You listen to rock, your ass is goin to HELL! You listen to country western music, read your bible, you saved, your soul is saved.
They're usually much better than the typical live band musicians because they have formal knowledge and are ready for a variety of styles.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by PureRockNRoll
Jimmy page did it for years before he joined yardbirds. He played guitar on alot of other famous bands studio tracks. (i think he even played on some the who and rolling stones album tracks)

Also played the guitar parts for the song "It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones.
Duane Allman was a very highly regarded seesion guitarist in his short time in this world. (R.I.P.)
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It