how do you hold your pick?

i cant seem to figure it out, i have completely forgot how to pick normally and want to restart playing like him.

do you pinch your index straight down and your thumb sideways?

both vertical?

i need help and with harmonics i know how to do it but dont know how to hold it ^
it dnt matter how u hold ur pick man. its just for comfort on how u hold it. nd stop trying to b like mick thompson. b ur own person
i personally use a two fingered grip with my thumb pretty much straight and my index finger curved. But do wats comfortable heaps of great guitarists have uncommon grips eg. Hetfield uses a three fingered grip.
I am so tired of rhetorical questions. Or am I?
Out of all the people you want to play guitar like, you want to play like Mick Thompson? No offense to him but he isn't that great. And as Mgllpz09 said, dont try and become someone else, individuality is one of the key elements to being great. Develope your own style and hold the pick how you want.
Smart Pothead and Proud
actually i do usually use 3 fingers, but i am having problems with palm muting and harmonics
videos and practice!!!!!!!!!! watch other ppl do them in person. ur just slightly touching the fretbar nd piking it lightly nd u'll hear the note ring for harmonics. try it on the 12th one that one is the easiest. as for palm muting...just leave the side of ur palm on top of the end of the strings by the bridge nd u'll c the differance on the sound nd how the notes sound a bit more muffled nd not ringing altogether. PRACTICE AND VIDEOS!!!!
Quote by wilfredoMercado
some solos in slipknot arent so great. their good, but their easy.
u should just play the way u feel best

I totally agree, if he played in standard tuning, people would think he sucked. Plus he couldn't do half the things he does if it weren't for super low-tuning. I think he has an original style that is good for his style and for Slipknot.

If you can't play LIKE him, or his STYLE, make your own style. Take John 5 for example, he takes Western type stuff and make it shred. Who would've thought something like that would actually sound cool. Same thing when Yngwie and The Great Kat did remakes of symphonys. It sounds freakin awesome.

I hope someone will take some Sweeney Todd songs and make them into some kind of shred or hardcore style...
Well, I'm glad that so many people here are Mick Thomson experts and know about every little detail of his guitar playing.

Quote by wilfredoMercado
some solos in slipknot arent so great. their good, but their easy.

Can I hear you playing one?

(They're*)
You're*
Quote by Survivalism
Well, I'm glad that so many people here are Mick Thomson experts and know about every little detail of his guitar playing.

Can I hear you playing one?

(They're*)

Why would anyone want to?
Quote by devilmaycrykid
Why would anyone want to?

There's actually some pretty awesome solo's from him and jim on the new album.

people would be surprised, they actually got to show there skill on the new album.
All Hope is Gone has some pretty awesome 6 strings sweeps. This cold black is another song with some nice leads on it.

I prefer Jim as a player myself, but there pretty solid.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by Necrophagist777
There's actually some pretty awesome solo's from him and jim on the new album.

people would be surprised, they actually got to show there skill on the new album.
Psychosocial and All Hope is Gone has some pretty awesome 6 strings sweeps. This cold black is another song with some nice leads on it.

I prefer Jim as a player myself, but there pretty solid.

psychosocial es not that hard o.o i started this year and even i can play it
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
psychosocial es not that hard o.o i started this year and even i can play it

sorry, i just listened and checked the tab for it, it's not that tough your right. I got the psychosocial solo and another solo from the album mixed up in my head.

I would learn it, yet i can't tune to Drop A

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
seriously... if you want to be a good guitar player dont model your playing after that donkey..... pick someone who is worth listening to.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by jordanzio
seriously... if you want to be a good guitar player dont model your playing after that donkey..... pick someone who is worth listening to.

I agree i wouldn't model my playing after him, I prefer people with really good tone. But he isn't that bad, there's far worse players that people choose to idolize.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Deftonly
root > thomson

+10

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
i do prefer root to mick but john frusciante was the one who inspired me to play guitar, and tom morello furthered it but right now i am trying to add slipknot into my playing
I would say because Mick Thompson's favorite guitarist is Paul Gilbert he holds the pick with his thumb straight against the side of his index finger like Paul.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Mick Thompson and Jim Root are A LOT better than people think they are.

They obviously aren't virtuosos but they do play some pretty complex rythms sometimes IMO.

btw i tried playing Pulse of the Maggots and failed. HARD.

EDIT: and TS it really doesnt matter that much how you hold your pick, but a lot of people end up realizing they could be faster players holding it *properly*.
Last edited by Tedward at Oct 20, 2008,
Mick and Jim are both great guitarists they just don't show it off. Jim Root was featured on a John 5 album...Next to Satch and Eric Johnson.

Watch Mick's chromatic warmup...It's harder to play than most of Slipknot's discography put together. Surfacing has some pretty hard downpicking too.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I learned playing guitar by watching videos of my favorite bands so I hold my pick a lot like mick (not exaclly but close). So I'll try and explain.

Like, do your hand like you're saying, "A OK" then bring your index finger and thumb in, like, close the circle youre making with those fingers.then hold the pick in between them,pointing yorwards your guitar. I wish I could show you a pic, but dude, just google pics or watch them on youtube. thats how I learned stuff.

I hope this helps, even if its just a little.
In the end man, do what's confortable for you.
Quote by paranoid joker
I learned playing guitar by watching videos of my favorite bands so I hold my pick a lot like mick (not exaclly but close). So I'll try and explain.

Like, do your hand like you're saying, "A OK" then bring your index finger and thumb in, like, close the circle youre making with those fingers.then hold the pick in between them,pointing yorwards your guitar. I wish I could show you a pic, but dude, just google pics or watch them on youtube. thats how I learned stuff.

I hope this helps, even if its just a little.
In the end man, do what's confortable for you.

thanks, i found out i normal pick like jim and palm mute like mick