im in a bit of a pickle wen it comes to which pickups are the best to get...

i am aware that the zakk wylde marshall is terrible
but how r his emg pickup set?????
Unless Im mistaken, Zakk uses EMG 81/85's.

That's a great pickup set, very commonly used.

If theyre normal 81/85's, theyre very good pickups.

Not sure if theyre any different.

Does that make sense? =0

i use them, and i love them.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
I like to add that EMGs are ONLY for hard metal stuff and etc. Try to get something more versatile.
The ZW pickup set is nothing special, you can get the pickups individually.

If I am not mistaken, the only thing the ZW set gives you is a camo paint job, which doesn't look good with many finishes.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
The ZW pickup set is nothing special, you can get the pickups individually.

If I am not mistaken, the only thing the ZW set gives you is a camo paint job, which doesn't look good with many finishes.

There not camoflauge, there plain black.

And it's slightly cheaper to buy them as a set.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMGZWSET

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by slayerfrk
there is no difference between a zw set and buying a 81\85 other then the zw is like $2 cheaper, but i hear emgs have good clean tones as well...

the 81 sounds like a duck clean.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
The Zakk Wylde set is the EMG 81 and 85. They are usually black but there is a limited edition camo set too. The set also includes two sets (4 vol. & 4 tone) of pots. 1 set is long shaft (for arch top Les Pauls) and 1 set of short shaft (for flat top guitars). If you buy each pickup seperately you only get the short shaft pots so if you have an arch top Les Paul it's better to buy the set. Most EMG's are active which means they run off of a 9 volt battery and most people feel that doing the 18 volt makes them sound better (There's a thread on here about this mod that explains it better use the seach bar to find it). The 81 is not good on the clean channel but the 85 can do cleans pretty well. I really like how it sounds personally. They work best with tube amps as they are designed to push the preamp harder. Some people say they sound awful through solid state amps but I use mine through my solid state Vypyr and it doesn't sound much different than passive pickups. Before you buy a set you should go to a guitar shop and try a guitar that has them. Some people love them and some hate them. It's personal preference so try them and see what you think.
i always heard that the classic metallica clean tone was EMGs into a Roland JC-120. course maybe he uses the 60 for clean tones. but i digress. the ZW set is no different than buying an 81 and an 85. but you get more stuff (pots, picks, etc.), and its cheaper. personally i prefer an 81/60 combo though. might get those for my explorer.
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Dean Cemetery Gates Rzrbck
Marshall MG250 (screw you guys everyone i kno loves this amp)
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
MXR 10 Band EQ (black, not blue)
Quote by Graveworm
I like to add that EMGs are ONLY for hard metal stuff and etc. Try to get something more versatile.

Ever heard of an EMG 60 or an EMG 58?

They're not really metal ones. They weren't even designed for metal in the first place.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Ever heard of an EMG 60 or an EMG 58?

They're not really metal ones. They weren't even designed for metal in the first place.

They both don't have really amazing cleans IMO. The 58 would be for more of a blues kind of sound. But anyways, you're right.