ok, so i think its time to upgrade from my solidstate combo. i have a couple of routes i could take, all but the third are wierd. price range- under $1000

1. get a tube 2x12 combo, new or used, maybe a bugera or peavey vypyr, then make a 2x12 cab to make it essentially a 4x12 (im in woodshop and electronics class at my school)

2. buy a tube head, new or used, then make 2- 2x12 cabs, so i could have a 2x12 and a 4x12, just like the previous one

3. buy a tube half stack and have to lug the whole thing around all the time

if you guys are kind enough to help me in my delema, im currently playing a jackson warrior with a single sh-6 seymour, but am looking to get that esp ex 400 with the active 81 emg.

any suggestions?
For $1000 you can get a good quality used mesa. Just about anything from them will be suitable give or take decent dist. pedal. look around on ebay and on your craigslist to see what's on offer.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
You're better off just getting a 4x12.

Two 2x12s (much less a combo and 2x12) does NOT sound the same as a 4x12. If you want the low end of a 4x12, the you'll just need to get a 4x12 or run a detuned 2x12 (2 speakers in a 4x12 cabinet)

Just be sure that the 4x12 has casters. They're very heavy...
Quote by al112987
You're better off just getting a 4x12.

Two 2x12s (much less a combo and 2x12) does NOT sound the same as a 4x12. If you want the low end of a 4x12, the you'll just need to get a 4x12 or run a detuned 2x12 (2 speakers in a 4x12 cabinet)

Just be sure that the 4x12 has casters. They're very heavy...

+1

Nothing compares to the tone and feel of a 4x12 cab. You're better off buying or making one if you want that deep, bassy death metal tone.

However, they aren't really that heavy. I have a full stack and I carry both cabs at the same time (one in my left hand and one in my right).
Quote by i_am_metalhead
+1

Nothing compares to the tone and feel of a 4x12 cab. You're better off buying or making one if you want that deep, bassy death metal tone.

However, they aren't really that heavy. I have a full stack and I carry both cabs at the same time (one in my left hand and one in my right).

agreed about the sound, but I don't think you're better off making one with the prices of cabs like Avatar out there, unless it's for a learning experience.

but geeze man, is your name Paul Bunyan?
you must be one huge individual to be lugging around 4x12's in each hand.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Jus buy an amp with a decent 'clean' channel preferrably a tube amp and get a decent distortion pedal, like a boss or something and configure the pedal until you get a decent tone, then fix the treble and bass on the amp til you get something you're happy with, it doesnt always matter about the sound of the distortion or overdrive through your amp, anything with a decent clean channel will sound awesome thorugh a pedal
Quote by Metalfreak777
Jus buy an amp with a decent 'clean' channel preferrably a tube amp and get a decent distortion pedal, like a boss or something and configure the pedal until you get a decent tone, then fix the treble and bass on the amp til you get something you're happy with, it doesnt always matter about the sound of the distortion or overdrive through your amp, anything with a decent clean channel will sound awesome thorugh a pedal

I cannot remember the last Boss pedal that I found decent.

And no, not anything with a decent clean channel will sound awesome through a pedal. It doesn't work that way.
if you want a good amp try to find a used bogner uberschall or krank revolution. but i myself am buying trying to find two bogner uberschall cabs.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
They're not quite the same.
333: Peavey XXX clone
333XL: Peavey JSX clone
6260: Peavey 5150/6505 clone
6262: Peavey 5150II/6505+ clone
The 6262 and 333XL are better amps.
Quote by al112987
I cannot remember the last Boss pedal that I found decent.

And no, not anything with a decent clean channel will sound awesome through a pedal. It doesn't work that way.

i find that the me-50 is an amazing pedal, especially for distortion, maybe you should try it, it's got enough types of distortion and overdrive to suit absolutely everybody, copmbine it with a marshall amp and thats that you're sorted

you're probably right dude, but it works 99% of the time, theres always the few that let the side down
Quote by Metalfreak777
i find that the me-50 is an amazing pedal, especially for distortion, maybe you should try it, it's got enough types of distortion and overdrive to suit absolutely everybody, copmbine it with a marshall amp and thats that you're sorted

you're probably right dude, but it works 99% of the time, theres always the few that let the side down

You're talking to a guy who owns a Metro JTM45. I highly doubt you'll convince him that a boss multi effects unit has good distortion
Quote by mcrfobtai
You're talking to a guy who owns a Metro JTM45. I highly doubt you'll convince him that a boss multi effects unit has good distortion

hmmmm fair enough :L:L can't argue with that, meh it depends on your own taste me thinks, personally boss is the minimum of what i'll use, and its not exactly expensive either