Say I wanted to install some of those no-hole plastic pickup covers on some standard-size humbuckers. Perhaps, these ones. How would I do such a thing?

Do they simply "snap on" over the pickup bobbin? Would I have to put a dot of hot glue or something between the pickup and the cover on the bottom, much like you would with solder on chrome covers?
aren't you afraid that they'll come lose and possibly lose/break one?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by joshua029
aren't you afraid that they'll come lose and possibly lose/break one?
If they're properly secured, I shouldn't have to worry about that, should I? Which is why I'm asking
well your suposed to solder metal ones on, but soldering might melt the plastic. How many watts is your soldering iron, if its only a small one and your good at soldering it shouldn't melt the plastic..
Hot glue gun I imagine

be sure to wax pot the entire thing once glued on

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Dont solder it on. That wont work
Dont "hot melt glue gun" them on
Dont bother with wax potting afterwards, they arent metal.

Just use some double sided tape, and put a small amount on the top of the pickup. Press the cover on. Trial how tight it is. If it needs more, remove the tape, add more. Dont add too much, you'll never get them off again.

Or, fit them without tape. Use gaffa tape from one side, under the pickup, to the other side. These are real light weight, they dont need much to hold them on.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Wouldnt wax potting help to keep the pup and the cover stable? if you play next to a loud speaker they might start vibrating and produce unwanted noise?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
Wouldnt wax potting help to keep the pup and the cover stable? if you play next to a loud speaker they might start vibrating and produce unwanted noise?
They're plastic, how is it possible?

Thanks for the tips, guys.
well if you put a glass of water on a speaker it vibrates and you can see it

same with a pickup, you stand next to a speaker the pickup itself will vibrate, so will the cover and hit against the pup might produce unwanted feedback?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Last edited by Absent Mind at Oct 19, 2008,
so will plastic covers create noise?

id assume u could just slide plastic covers on and then hold them down with tape or the covers may have some kind of clip
Quote by Absent Mind

Wax potting doe keep the pup cover stable but if it's non-conductive then it doesn't matter.

If you pot the pickup and fill the cover full of wax then that will act like glue and hold the cover in place but it'll also deaden the overall tone from the pickup so it's not a good option.

I know many pickup makers that pot their pickups in epoxy then use covers like these filled with epoxy (think EMG) so that is another option. Epoxy won't deaden the pickup as much as the wax but it does mean that you will never ever be able to get the cover off again and if something ever happens to your pickup then there will be no way to repair it.

The best way I know of is the way ormby suggested... I like to use double sided carpet tape.
Not taking any online orders.
This is a pretty necro bumped thread, but any way

How will filling a pup cover full of wax deaden the tone? Just based on the 'permeability of free space' changing? (dunno how much you know about physics, but basically how well the magnetic field is transmitted through the medium, in this case wax).

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
^Filling the cover with wax changes the capacitance and it changes the AC resistance of the pickup. I don't know why it does it but it does and the results are measurable with an LCR.
Not taking any online orders.