Poll: What should I continue with?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should I continue with?
Guitar (Fender Stratocaster MiM)
13 62%
Bass (Musicman, Stingray)
8 38%
Voters: 21.
Ok UGers ... I'm having a little trouble choosing an instrument ... ok, i've been playing guitar for just under 3 years and I have gotten to that stage where I can play anything I try. I used to play heavy metal but then suddenly woke up one morning hating metal so I began learning other genres, funk, punk, reggae and hard rock. Also I bought a bass so I could master that and I've gotten really impressive at that aswell, wowing my friends with my slap+pop technique...

But now, I have to choose between the two ... because I'm moving in with my mum now that she has left her husband, I need to help her with rent and bills... and my dad wont let me take any of my guitars to my mums. So, Christmas is coming up and I cant decide what to choose ... Please Help ...
Quote by Who-Killed-Joy
Ok UGers ... I'm having a little trouble choosing an instrument ... ok, i've been playing guitar for just under 3 years and I have gotten to that stage where I can play anything I try. I used to play heavy metal but then suddenly woke up one morning hating metal so I began learning other genres, funk, punk, reggae and hard rock. Also I bought a bass so I could master that and I've gotten really impressive at that aswell, wowing my friends with my slap+pop technique...

But now, I have to choose between the two ... because I'm moving in with my mum now that she has left her husband, I need to help her with rent and bills... and my dad wont let me take any of my guitars to my mums. So, Christmas is coming up and I cant decide what to choose ... Please Help ...

I doubt it.

Anyways, I would get the Bass.
Last edited by Graveworm at Oct 19, 2008,
Bass Definatly, Although Some Guitarists just Can't play bass.
You never know , one day a band may be missing a bassist and you could fill in.
Epiphone G-400 Cherry Red
Vox Ad50VT
my dad wont let me take any of my guitars to my mums
WTF. Stand up to him; they're your guitars.

But if you really have to, I'd go with the guitar... Can use a pedal to shift it down to bass tunings if you need, and it doesn't destroy the tone if you put if through a bass amp. Sticking with a bass really restrains what you can do since it's got less strings (your typical 4-stringer anyway) and they're considerably thicker, making stuff generally harder (imo, anyway).
Check your ego.

I'd say spend some sit down time with both and see which piques your interest. As mentioned above, you can get like an Octave Multiplexer and generate bass tones. Whichever feels more right to you would be my answer.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by eclipse2411
Bass Definatly, Although Some Guitarists just Can't play bass.
You never know , one day a band may be missing a bassist and you could fill in.

Most of the time Bassists can't play guitars. One day a band might be missing a guitarist and you can fill in.

Your logic kinda fails. You logic goes for all players.
I second the Rick. Or an octave pedal I suppose, but it's no real replacement for a bass.
The simpleton's rig:
Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
Homemade Fuzz pedal "the chainsaw"
Peavey Valveking 212.
Quote by TS
because I'm moving in with my mum now that she has left her husband, I need to help her with rent and bills... and my dad wont let me take any of my guitars to my mums. So, Christmas is coming up and I cant decide what to choose ...

How about not getting anything for christmas and helping her out that way?
Weekend Warrior
1. You CANNOT play everything. As people have said, sort out your ego.
2. If it's YOUR STUFF, take it all.

Or get a warr guitar

By the way, question to others, if you use a pedal to shift down an octave on the guitar and convert it into a bass, will you blow out your guitar amp speaker?
If you really have to choose,and you have some extra $$ for christmas, I would get a doubleneck from Warmoth, a Strat/P-bass one, or if they have other types of guitar and bass in one, get one of those, and a bass amp. That way, you can have both instruments without having to haul alot of equipment.
Quote by tigerking615
1. You CANNOT play everything. As people have said, sort out your ego.
2. If it's YOUR STUFF, take it all.

Or get a warr guitar

By the way, question to others, if you use a pedal to shift down an octave on the guitar and convert it into a bass, will you blow out your guitar amp speaker?

when i said everything i didnt mean everything, like everything i wanted to play. all the techniques i wanted to learn, all the differant styles and stuff