Is it just me or is there just so many good guitarist out there that it makes you depressed? Just watching Herman do Through the Flame and Fire(love the song hate being asked to play it) is enough to almost make me quit. What im try to say is that i have been playing for 10 months now and im wondering if i am doing fine or should i be further along?

I have been recently going mad doing Chet Atkins and Tommy Emmanuel stuff. (Currently on to Mr. Sandman, Lady Madonna, and Dixie Mcguire) and im getting good feedback on my fingerpicking and playing of just regular stuff like: Patterns in the Ivy and Heart of Gold.

I've dwelved into music theory and wrote an entire composition book on the subject.

But.............

I play and i hit dead notes more often than i feel needs to be.

I can't switch chords fast enough.

and lastly i only know like 5 complete songs.(other than chorded songs)

I started because of Guitar Hero to be honest. I know it's not the same by a long shot but i tried and i started getting better.

My first song i studied was "Stairway to Heaven" hehe i learned it but have you ever tried to play it by switching fingers instead of playing the notes through chords.

I am going to move to electric soon and it just seems so different just trying to play "I Love Rock and Roll" .

sorry for rambling, what i am trying to get at am i doing fine or am i behind?

also any advice for someone going from Acoustic to Electric?
Its natural to feel unmotivated sometimes and also because you have been playing 10 months.
You can't expect to be a great player when you start off, it takes years of practise to get as good as the shredders nowadays.

If you stop playing guitar, then you will never be as good as anyone.

Go on youtube, type in your favourite song and watch videos of people playing them, it will inspire you!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
theres ur problem...u started by trying to learn stairway to heaven...the guitar gods frown upon stereo types

gear:
line 6 spider valve 212
ibanez RG5EX1
vinci VE5PK
No your doing fine - people learn at different rates, and 10 months isn't even that long. I've only been playing consistantly and seriously for about 10 months aswell and I'm probably not even as good as you, but it doesn't worry me because if I keep at it I'll get better at my own speed. But yea I do feel demotivated by all these show-offs sometimes aswell. I just try to be positive.
Quote by RobertiusB
No your doing fine - people learn at different rates, and 10 months isn't even that long. I've only been playing consistantly and seriously for about 10 months aswell and I'm probably not even as good as you, but it doesn't worry me because if I keep at it I'll get better at my own speed. But yea I do feel demotivated by all these show-offs sometimes aswell. I just try to be positive.

Well there is something but the question is how do people remeber so many songs? practice yeah but don't they run together? for me i can keep constant on a song because of how the song 'feels'

And i might just want that as a sig

theres ur problem...u started by trying to learn stairway to heaven...the guitar gods frown upon stereo types
Quote by FlyingBeerman
Every time I listen to Eliot Fisk.

I feel a burn comming..................................who is Eliot Fisk?
Quote by Xaxu
I feel a burn comming..................................who is Eliot Fisk?

Dude, google is your friend.
Quote by Xaxu
Is it just me or is there just so many good guitarist out there that it makes you depressed? Just watching Herman do Through the Flame and Fire(love the song hate being asked to play it) is enough to almost make me quit. What im try to say is that i have been playing for 10 months now and im wondering if i am doing fine or should i be further along?

I have been recently going mad doing Chet Atkins and Tommy Emmanuel stuff. (Currently on to Mr. Sandman, Lady Madonna, and Dixie Mcguire) and im getting good feedback on my fingerpicking and playing of just regular stuff like: Patterns in the Ivy and Heart of Gold.

I've dwelved into music theory and wrote an entire composition book on the subject.

But.............

I play and i hit dead notes more often than i feel needs to be.

I can't switch chords fast enough.

and lastly i only know like 5 complete songs.(other than chorded songs)

I started because of Guitar Hero to be honest. I know it's not the same by a long shot but i tried and i started getting better.

My first song i studied was "Stairway to Heaven" hehe i learned it but have you ever tried to play it by switching fingers instead of playing the notes through chords.

I am going to move to electric soon and it just seems so different just trying to play "I Love Rock and Roll" .

sorry for rambling, what i am trying to get at am i doing fine or am i behind?

also any advice for someone going from Acoustic to Electric?

Don't be so tough on yourself... 10 months is not a long time to be doing anything, let alone a life-long thing like learning to be a musician... 3-4 years seems to be about the time it takes to go from nothing to 'pretty darn good' ... IF you put the work in
out of here
Quote by inflatablefilth
Don't be so tough on yourself... 10 months is not a long time to be doing anything, let alone a life-long thing like learning to be a musician... 3-4 years seems to be about the time it takes to go from nothing to 'pretty darn good' ... IF you put the work in

Lifelong would to be to write the.................Legendary Riff..............dah dah daaaaaaaaaaah
i played off of tab for a year without any instruction from anyone and could only do simple chord progressions. Lessons and instruction help, and determination does too

youll get there, just keep rocking
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Quote by inflatablefilth

+1 to this. Also, the first year or two is the hardest, because sometimes it will seem like all hard work and few rewards. Later on it is still hard work of course if you are pursuing it seriously, but the rewards are a lot greater because there's a lot more you can do with the instrument.
^ +2

10 months is nothing, just keep going and try to remember to have fun. i've been playing for 13 years and i still hear guitarists (often half my age) who blow me out of the water. i let that inspire me to try to be better. i've watched 10 year olds play guitar and asked them about how they got so good (more specific questions like "hey how did you do that thing before where you hammered on then pulled off, do that again i wanna see it") just keep playing and trying to have fun and trying to improve your abilities. if you consistently try, you'll get the hang of it. i recommend a teacher btw, those seem to accelerate the learning cycle if you can get one.
^ whats wrong with playing to enjoy it but still wanting to be really good at what you enjoy? i won't lie, i LOVE playing guitar, but i know if i was a standard run of the mill guitarist that i wouldn't enjoy it nearly so much. there is a little thrill from people watching you play and going "wow thats amazing" its not the end all, be all of playing guitar by any means, but its a nice little perk for sure.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
are you playing guitar to be the best guitarist around, or are you playing because you enjoy playing it?!

Would you still play guitar if you never got better?
^^ (z's post) +1000

If you love the instrument, you will always seek to get better. I've been playing for 16+ years and I'm just as fired up (if not more) to improve than I was years ago. There are whole musical universes out there to explore, and to do that you need a bad ass spaceship!
Seeing a guitarist who is better than me is the ultimate inspiration. When I watch Michael Romeo play on the young guitar video, pulling off this crazy hard, fast, beautiful music w/o a single note that doesn't sound perfect, all w/o apparently even trying, I literally, physically can't stop myself from going to my music room and spending the next several hours practicing. It's not a competition thing (not that I would even win THAT one ha), it's just this burning feeling of "I want that". My own flavor of course, because I don't really want to copy anyone no matter how much I admire them, but having that sort of freedom to express yourself through music is the ultimate lifetime goal.