Hello Pit. I'm a guy that always worried about my hearing, and never listened to music in a high volume, and usually used ear protectors for band practice. I also have been to only 3 gigs in my life.
Yesterday, I went to study to a friend's house and he suggested that I should go with him to a 4 hours gig later. So I went without ear protection, and was in the front line for the 4 hours, being sure that it's fine since I always take care of my ears, and what's one time going to do?
Well, the gig is over and I hear a high pitch ring. 4 hours pass until I go to sleep and I keep hearing it. I go to sleep, and now I wake up 5 hours later and keep hearing it.
Since the pit is no doctor, I only want to know for how much time the ring lasted for you after a concert. Did it last for more than 10 hours?

Another data: Yesterday the pitch was a high D# (23 fret). Today it's an A# though I'm not sure in what octave.

EDIT: It wasn't a big thing like a festival or something, but a local venue. A small one. The size of the place was like 2 big bedrooms.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Oct 19, 2008,
Most of us hear a ringing anyway. It'll either dissappear soon, or you'll stop noticing it. If it has any irritation on your ears or gives you a headache, then maybe be worried.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Im not even going to read it.

Go see a real DOCTOR!
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Quote by teh_Beatles

Go see a real DOCTOR!

It's sunday, I'm asking for the guys experience with gigs. Not for a solution. Thank you, but I'm not going today.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

for me, it usually last a long time, sometimes longer than a day but then it goes away....i wouldn't worry about it. You seem over careful with your ears anyway :P
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
i got tinnitus from spending about 4 hours near the front at Download Festival, so you may have it, if you do you eventually get used to it.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
My old college tutor told us about this, some people have killed themselves because they cant sleep etc...

Id get it seen to if i was you
yeah I'd say its just temporary.

I went to a doc once after seeing Nightwish in concert (for something completely different though). He was checking my ears as part of a general check, and I said "Oh, my ears are probably messed up today, they're still ringing after the concert from last night", and he didn't bat an eyelid.

Judging from that I'd say its normal to still have some ringing the day after.
Quote by urik
It's sunday, I'm asking for the guys experience with gigs. Not for a solution. Thank you, but I'm not going today.

Yes, the ringing can last for a while. You'll recover. But if you care about your hearing..... do not make that a habit.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
It's probably temporary. As you say, you're always worried about your hearing. But if it doesn't go away after another day or so, I'd get it checked out.
Also, I just wiki'ed this for you:
Tinnitus is not itself a disease but a symptom resulting from a range of underlying causes. Causes include ear infections, foreign objects or wax in the ear, nose allergies that prevent (or induce) fluid drain and cause wax build-up, and injury from loud noises. Tinnitus is also a side-effect of some oral medications, such as aspirin, and may also result from an abnormally low level of serotonin activity. It is also a classical side effect of Quinidine, a Class IA anti-arrhythmic. In many cases, however, no underlying physical cause can be identified
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Oh thanks guys. You just took a stone off my chest. If tomorrow they keep ringing, I'll go to a doctor.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I went to a Velvet Revolver show once, shit was way too loud.. My right ear was kinda ****ed up for the best part of three days. So it'll go eventually, just give it some time.
i always have the ringing, but it always goes away, but im probably going to get ear plugs
you'll be fine, your ears just arent used to it cos you've taken such good care, wait a couple of days and your ears will 'reset' themselves
It's normally just temporary, get it occasionally after gigs,etc.

Furthermore, tinnitus isn't something that is caught (or catched as you put it).
I have it permanently, just monitor it for awhile, give it a week, if it causes you problems or you still hear it, see a doctor, who may be able to fix it or help in some way.

You will get used to it, I've had since age 9 or 10, and I barely notice it unless its silent, or I'm trying to sleep . . .
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by teh_Beatles

Go see a real DOCTOR!

You do realise just because your no doctor doesn't mean everyone else on this site has no information/expierience on this.
Shut up.
It usually stops for me the next morning. It keeps ringing the whole night, but so far, I've been fine after a little sleep.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
Okay guys. Just wanted to update you. 48 hours after the gig started, I'm still hearing it . Next week after the exams are over I'm going to the doctor.
However, the pitch has changed. The morning after the gig it was at the 23th fret of the high E string, yesterday at night it was at the 18th fret, and today it's at the 17th fret. Could that mean anything ?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Yeah it pretty much means it damaged your ear a bit. If you hear any type of ring in your ear, you damaged your ear. But don't worry that much, because permanent damage is cause of too many gigs, too much loud noise in a sequence of time.
What you damaged here is the quality of your hearing. Inside our ears we have this really fine tissue that blocks and prevents any damage to our hearing. What happens is, when noise enters your, it hits the tissue, and if the noise is loud then it will hit the tissue with stronger force and will disintegrate it a bit. This tissue regenerates 100% though, but after it's recovered, it won't have the same quality as it had before the damage. However, when you are exposed to loud noises for a lot of time, in a lot of days, this tissue will break through time, won't be able to regenerate fully and we will experience hearing loss and quality of noise. You also won't be able to detect very high frequencies you were able to detect, and same with low.
The human is able to detect somewhere close to 20hz to 20,000hz.

edit:I don't know why the pitch changed in the ring though...
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Okay thanks guys. I'm probably overreacting and starting to pay too much attention to it, thus worsening it inside my head. That's what a guy in a Tinnitus forum told me so I'm going to let it be for a week. By the way enjoy your soon to come GT-8 . That's a good piece of meat.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
Okay thanks guys. I'm probably overreacting and starting to pay too much attention to it, thus worsening it inside my head. That's what a guy in a Tinnitus forum told me so I'm going to let it be for a week. By the way enjoy your soon to come GT-8 . That's a good piece of meat.

Thanks, but I don't think I'll be buying it anytime soon...I've had that on my sig since last year I think, I still want it but I prefer saving up for another guitar.

Good luck with the hearing thing, and don't worry, you won't have any permanent damage, or tinnitus.
Just in case, see a doctor if the probably still continues.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic