Does anyone know what amps James and Kirk used to record the black album? Imo the tone on that album is pretty much perfect, id love to be able to achieve something similar
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Mesa / Boogies Triple Rectis ? Mark IV ? Dual Rectis?
Marshall Amps maybe Plexis?

And Marshall Boxes ... but dunno what mics used to record

There was a page where you could see the instruments used etc.
I'm guessing Mesa's like FaLL said, and I'm sure James used a Marshall for the cleans.
dual rect is the cheapest way to sound "like" metallica..... of having 5 amplifiers for each song
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Kirk Hammett: "I used a Bradshaw because the mids were clean and the low end sounded real percussive. The harmonic distortion also sounded nice and dirty. For the highs we used two Marshalls. We combined all the sounds and put the Bradshaw pre-amp through a VHT power-amp. We put it all through Marshall cabinets with 30-watt speakers and blended all the room mikes. My sound is a lot thicker and punchier than before, and I think it's better than ever. For the majority of the leads on this album I used a third ESP guitar. I also used my 1989 black Gibson Les Paul Custom. For the clean sound, I used a '61 stock white Strat [stratocaster] and a Fender blac- face Deluxe. I also used a '53 Gibson ES-295 style, and an ESP Les Paul Junior with EMG pickups."

Or in detail:

Amps
Roland Jazz Chorus 120
Mesa-Boogie Triaxis preamps
Mesa-Boogie Mark IV amp (re-wired as a pre-amp)
Mesa-Boogie 100 watt power amp
Mesa-Boogie 4x12 cabinets

Studio:
Marshall cabinets with 30 watt speakers
VHT power-amp
Effects

Bradshaw preamp
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Last edited by von gelb at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by von gelb
Kirk Hammett: "I used a Bradshaw because the mids were clean and the low end sounded real percussive. The harmonic distortion also sounded nice and dirty. For the highs we used two Marshalls. We combined all the sounds and put the Bradshaw pre-amp through a VHT power-amp. We put it all through Marshall cabinets with 30-watt speakers and blended all the room mikes. My sound is a lot thicker and punchier than before, and I think it's better than ever. For the majority of the leads on this album I used a third ESP guitar. I also used my 1989 black Gibson Les Paul Custom. For the clean sound, I used a '61 stock white Strat [stratocaster] and a Fender blac- face Deluxe. I also used a '53 Gibson ES-295 style, and an ESP Les Paul Junior with EMG pickups."

Or in detail:

Amps
Roland Jazz Chorus 120
Mesa-Boogie Triaxis preamps
Mesa-Boogie Mark IV amp (re-wired as a pre-amp)
Mesa-Boogie 100 watt power amp
Mesa-Boogie 4x12 cabinets

Studio:
Marshall cabinets with 30 watt speakers
VHT power-amp
Effects

Bradshaw preamp

Or just in short...
EXPENSIVE
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Quote by serbusfish
Does anyone know what amps James and Kirk used to record the black album? Imo the tone on that album is pretty much perfect, id love to be able to achieve something similar

As far as the tone on that album goes the most significant piece of equipment was a Bob Rock.

You've got several amps, craploads of high end studio equipment and all sorts of tricks like multi-layered guitars EQ'd differently to thicken up the sound - don't beat yourself up over studio tones because it's not going to happen.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
As far as the tone on that album goes the most significant piece of equipment was a Bob Rock.

You've got several amps, craploads of high end studio equipment and all sorts of tricks like multi-layered guitars EQ'd differently to thicken up the sound - don't beat yourself up over studio tones because it's not going to happen.

Agreed, they would have spent weeks getting the tone alone.
Quote by IKnowItsWrong
Or just in short...
EXPENSIVE

or in slightly longer....

Fun to know what they used, but don't spend your money trying to replicate that exact tone.
Quote by Fik0n
or in slightly longer....

Fun to know what they used, but don't spend your money trying to replicate that exact tone.

Oh gosh.. you read my mind
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
When playing live, Metallica themselves can't even accurately replicate their tones from The Black Album.

Never chase studio tones.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
This is from James Hetfield's wikipedia page.
By 1990, along with the assistance of Bob Rock, Hetfield perfected the scooped-midrange studio tone that he had been seeking since 1983. He discovered that utilizing the midrange frequencies straight from a modified Marshall amplifier, layered over guitar tracks of his trusty Mesa/Boogie MarkIIC+ as well as the Mesa/Boogie MarkIV, plus an ADA MP-1 preamp and a Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400 poweramp, he would get a much thicker and richer tone. He enhanced the frequencies by enclosing his four Marshall 1960B speaker cabinets with foam walls and U-Haul blankets, and carefully phase-canceled particular frequencies with eight closely-positioned microphones and two ambient condenser microphones.

The majority of his clean tones come from a Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus Guitar Amplifier.

If you want to see his whole page here's a link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hetfield
Quote by FRDesign
A Mesa Stiletto gets Metallica tones almost perfect, becuase it sounds like a Dual Rectifier/Marshall JCM hybrid.
Yup.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION