K i saw this series on muscicians friend and was wonder is this really a tube amp? Or do they just have a tube pre-amp like some? I was looking at this amp to leave at my drummers house for jamming.( Like playing over him, so id use the saturation which is why i need to know ) I dont care if the reverb is shity on it, im already getting a digitech gnx3 w/ all the effects and amp simulating you can think of.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

cuz if it is thats one ****ing good deal
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
It's a tube amp, although I wouldn't reccomend that one. That exact amp used to be going for over $400, and dropped in price a few weeks ago, due to people really not liking it, and it not being the most reliable.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Quote by stratdud39
it dropped $200 in the last month or so, because it sucks.
dont get it, it sucks,
you'd be WAY WAY better off with a vox valvetronix

It dropped in price because they are being discontinued, the company is going to call them something else.

They don't suck. I have the 18 watt and my friend has the 50 watt. They sound amazing for the price. Get it before they're sold out.

I repeat, they do not suck. And as for the reliability, he's had his for over a year and no problems.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by Psalm 150:4
It dropped in price because they are being discontinued, the company is going to call them something else.

They don't suck. I have the 18 watt and my friend has the 50 watt. They sound amazing for the price. Get it before they're sold out.

I repeat, they do not suck. And as for the reliability, he's had his for over a year and no problems.

i have got to stop saying things suck, i've been doing to too much lately.
i'll reword, i did not like it when i played through it, you should go try on out for yourself and see what you think.
Quote by Psalm 150:4

Yes they do.
Quote by Horlicks
Yes they do.

you see, i would say +1, but i just got flamed 3 or 4 times in an other thread for saying squier sucks(yes, i know there classic and vintage series is good), so im trying to play it safe
You get what you pay for.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Yeah I would go with the v33 or one of the v18's, much better reviews, i have the thrity three and it could definitely be better but for 250, its all tube and it sounds better than any solid state i've played in that price range in my opinion. But by the way, the price drops are because crate's name has become associated with amps that are unreliable so i believe they're going to be using blackheart instead. The v series is good but I think people were very hesitant to buy because of the name. And by the way, if you were looking at the v50 for the wattage, the v33 is plenty loud. I play it in a fairly open room with really high ceilings and If i put it past like .5 on the gain channel its crazy loud
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
I played a v50 and the volume stayed at 1 and sounded like a SS amp cause you can't crank it
Quote by eurotrashed
I played a v50 and the volume stayed at 1 and sounded like a SS amp cause you can't crank it

the point is that its at my band practice spot so, i will get the saturation. cant u read?
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by ac/dc752
the point is that its at my band practice spot so, i will get the saturation. cant u read?

yes, but dont get the crate, i dont care what the other guy said, a vox valvetronix is better. it will be loud enough, i went over a drummer with an mg10 for christs sake.
Quote by stratdud39
yes, but dont get the crate, i dont care what the other guy said, a vox valvetronix is better. it will be loud enough, i went over a drummer with an mg10 for christs sake.

somehow i really ****ing doubt that.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by ac/dc752

Do you practice in a small warehouse? To get 50watt tube amp to saturate, you got to crank it and it is enough to drown out the rest of the band. Don't you understand how loud this amp is? Cranking this in someone's garage or other small rehearsal space is suicidal
Quote by FMNStratGuy
It's a tube amp, although I wouldn't reccomend that one. That exact amp used to be going for over $400, and dropped in price a few weeks ago, due to people really not liking it, and it not being the most reliable.

Crate got a bad reputation with their ss amps so it was hard for them to sell the V series, therefore they just decided to discontinue the amps and sell them cheap.

And they're great amps, you CANNOT beat them for the price
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by Horlicks
Yes they do.

no they don't the cleans are very sparkly and the overdrive is fairly decent. i was able to pull out some decent bfmv tone with a esp eclipse. in fact the clean on the v18 can be very competitive comparing to a vox ac 15. dunno about the 30 since they are loaded with alnico blues and thats as totally different story.
Quote by stratdud39
ya well its ****ing true, of course it wasnt on clean, it was on overdrive.

i doubt the noise is anywhere near pleasant.
I tested this alongside a Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 which was admittedly was a few hundred dollars more but made the Crate sound like my guitar signal was going through a kazoo. The overdrive on the Crate was buzzy and cheap sounding. The Black Pearl sounding incredible.
Quote by guitarnoize
I tested this alongside a Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 which was admittedly was a few hundred dollars more but made the Crate sound like my guitar signal was going through a kazoo. The overdrive on the Crate was buzzy and cheap sounding. The Black Pearl sounding incredible.

there is a reason why they have treble/mid/bass/gain control<---use it
Quote by stratdud39
you see, i would say +1, but i just got flamed 3 or 4 times in an other thread for saying squier sucks(yes, i know there classic and vintage series is good), so im trying to play it safe

i was sitting here trying to remember where i knew you from.

no hard feelings.

and TS maybe check out the 18W.

i mean shit that amp is $200. i guess, what else could you get for that price?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Horlicks
Yes they do.

No, they don't.*

*I really have no idea, but arguing this way is every bit as helpful as your post.

Quote by ac/dc752
somehow i really ****ing doubt that.

The drummer wasn't playing at the time, only speaking.
You're*
Last edited by Survivalism at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by jj1565
i was sitting here trying to remember where i knew you from.

no hard feelings.

and TS maybe check out the 18W.

i mean shit that amp is $200. i guess, what else could you get for that price?

A used Line 6 Flextone. It sounds way better, is more versatile, comes with effects.
Last edited by Horlicks at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by stratdud39

perhaps the problem is not you voicing youre opinion, but merely you voicing your opinion on something you have no knowledge of....btw, it's not the end of the world if you get flamed.

Quote by Horlicks
A used Line 6 Flextone

but then they wouldn't be a tubez amp
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Oct 20, 2008,
i'm in a huge used market and i never see anything like that for $200. even less for $150 if you look at the 18W, which i think he should.

very rare to get anything for $200 that'll push over a band, and when they pop up you really need to be quick and lucky.

^

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/880385373.html
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
i'm in a huge used market and i never see anything like that for $200. even less for $150 if you look at the 18W, which i think he should.

very rare to get anything for $200 that'll push over a band, and when they pop up you really need to be quick and lucky.

^

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/880385373.html

Yep, and cheaper than the 18w
Last edited by Horlicks at Oct 20, 2008,
pssshtt
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Change out the tubes and or the speaker and you have yourself a hell of an amp for $150. I have the V18 and I play it more then I play my Blues Jr. For blues and classic rock its unbeatable for the price. If your into that really high gain bullshit then look elsewhere. No SS amp is going to sound as good and anyone here who says so is clearly lying or doesn't know WTF they are blabbing on about.
Custom Strat
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Electro Harmonix #1 Echo
Fender Blues Jr.
Crate V18

“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
I got a v18 for $149 shipped a couple months ago, and think it's well worth the price. I've played a couple times in a practice space with another guitarist, drummer, bass, and vocals, and it has enough volume.

The sound is somewhat dark and bassy, and very smooth. I don't like the gain of it too much, so I use pedals for anything more than a small amount of breakup.

The reverb goes way more than you need, which lots of people complain about, but I really don't see why that's such a complaint. You just don't turn it up all the way. usually anywhere from off to about 4 on the knob is all you'd need.

It is heavy on the bass, so I usually turn the bass eq knob down to about 2 or 3.

Overall, I am satisfied with this amp.