I've heard many people say the rickenbacker has a unique tone, but what exactly is that tone? I wondering because my aunt said she'd buy me a rickenbacker at the end of the school year if I keep making good grades on my school report card. Can you guys post youtube vids of examples of "the classic rickenbacker tone" Is this it? Rickenbacker tone
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Oct 19, 2008,
It has a lot of crackle and Treble. Personally, i greatly dislike it and prefer a deep rich tone, but ive played the rick, and it's not for me, and i think you should head to your local store and try it for yourself.
Thanks for responding! Do you guys have any examples of the classic rickenbacker tone that i can listen to on youtube?
Squier VM TB Bass
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
essentially its the tone for people who like the lo-fi, oldskool "brian jones on the electrified guitar, ladies and gentleman" concept in terms of guitars

ive never played a rickenbacker bass personally, id imagine the ethos is the same.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
It's a very bright and punchy tone, I think your video was very close to the classic rick tone. Definetly try it out before you buy because you might not like how it feels.
Quote by ccmetz2020
It's a very bright and punchy tone, I think your video was very close to the classic rick tone. Definetly try it out before you buy because you might not like how it feels.
Wow if that is the classic rickenbacker tone, I so want one now. I know it has that very thick finish on the back of the neck, but I've tried out another a bass that has a thick finsh on the neck;the Fender Jaguar and it didn't bother me that much. I'll definately try one out when I get chance.

EDIT: What do new Rickenbacker's cost? I've heard it's just over $2000 USD
Squier VM TB Bass
well if used in a store it is about 1500 and up, but if you do get it, you know what your paying for because they are very high quality instruments, they are very nicely made, so you can't go wrong, so good luck
for me either 'eton rifles' or 'going underground' by The Jam is classic ric tone
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by stevo192
for me either 'eton rifles' or 'going underground' by The Jam is classic ric tone

Ric basses always remind me of Bruce Foxton and the Jam. Also check out the first Pink Floyd albums; Waters used a Ric at that point--the Ric sound is really evidence on songs like "Interstellar Overdrive" and "Astronomie Domine"
I think the Rick tone is an ultimate aquired tast, but those who do like it are willing to pay a stupid amount to get it. I don't know how to describe it... it sounds ...too... fruity?
Quote by Spaz91
I think the Rick tone is an ultimate aquired tast, but those who do like it are willing to pay a stupid amount to get it. I don't know how to describe it... it sounds ...too... fruity?

Ya I think ricks are a little overpriced (*puts up flame shield* remember I said a little. just a few hundred dollars.) I think the tone is good, but for what you pay I'd expect a little more versatility. that's all I'm saying. If you're absolutely infatuated with the tone and don't feel you need to get many more sounds out of your bass than just that one, I guess MAYBE then it's worth the price. But I'd still go for a used one. I've seen them on craig's list for $1000-1200, and that is definitely worth going for, if you absolutely LOVE the tone.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I love the Ric tone, shame I can't afford one
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Roundabout by Yes?

I don't know if that's the Ric tone but it sounds fairly distinctive.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIVi7KY_WJ8

classic ric song. despite what people are saying here, they ric is extremely versatile with tone, you can get that high treble "ric" tone but the tone pallet is huge. If you can afford one, it's deffinitely worth it.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by sam_ofzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhk8HBkaLGI&feature=user
This guy's got some different videos with his ric, shows the tone as well

I was about to post this exact same video. TS, check out this cover of the Freewill solo as well some of the other videos on MunkyBarz's channel. He has some really good shit, and there are some perfect examples of Ric tone.

BeastEDIT: You better be a goddamn genius if your aunt is shelling out $2000 for a new Ric. Either that or she better have just won the ****ing lottery. You lucky bastard.
Really though, if she is willing to give you a bass worth 2 grand you might want to look into Warwick, Lakland, and at least a few other manufacturers in addition to Rickenbacker.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Last edited by Beast_Within at Oct 19, 2008,
Listen to any Yes, really. Anything with Chris Squire. Particularly anything off Yessongs for a live tone, and anything off The Yes Album/Fragile/Close To The Edge for a good studio sound. I think it's all about favouring the neck pickup and playing at the bridge. He has a bit of bi-amp/overdrive going on, but it's a really good indication of (what I consider to be) the classic Ric tone.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Listen to any Yes, really. Anything with Chris Squire. Particularly anything off Yessongs for a live tone, and anything off The Yes Album/Fragile/Close To The Edge for a good studio sound. I think it's all about favouring the neck pickup and playing at the bridge. He has a bit of bi-amp/overdrive going on, but it's a really good indication of (what I consider to be) the classic Ric tone.

Didn't he actually his neck pickup OUT of his bass? Or was it his bridge pup? But for roundabout, I heard somewhere the bassline was also overdubbed by a guitar.
No, it was the neck pickup. Lemmy does the exact same, but maims it with his rig (he uses a 415 though, I'll give him that).

And yes, he overdubbed a guitar at some points breifly, tastefully, and subtlely. I believe in the second verse you can hear one of Steve's Gibson ES-135's coming out of the right speaker.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well, i always thought the rick tone as kind of the tone that you get when you put new strings on except slightly punchier and it last alot longer. I love the ric but i can't get enough moeny so heh.

Does your aunt know how much a Ric is?