right i learnt this song. but i wanna play it up to tempo and it is damn fast. whenever i play it i relax my right hand so as to not knacker it out quickly however it does because i use downstrokes. so i watch james hetfield alternate pick

how the hell do you alternate pick on the fat e string!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks in adavnced and im sorry for posting 2 threads in 1 day lol
as they both said above me, you gotta practice.
but someone told me master of puppets is played with all downstrokes
but if you want to really practice your alternate picking, try damage inc., that pretty much all the song is lol
Quote by stratdud39

but someone told me master of puppets is played with all downstrokes

it's alternate picked, just watch any high def video of them playing
don't use alternate picking. downstrokes are the way to go. if you can get that up to speed using downstrokes, ur my goddamn hero
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
i play all downstrokes.. it just takes a while to get the stamina.

All up to you weather to play downstrokes or alternate. I presonally prefer downstrokes for most of it. what ever one you choose..

Quote by The Jezereck
practice and lots of it
Quote by Ghold125

can u not give us a link?

and plus how does he do that

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------2-------3------4-----3------2-2-----2-------3------5\4---5\4---5\4----|
|-0-1----0-1----0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-0--3\2-0-3\2-0-3\2---|
both james and kirk have said in interviews with guitar world (not the latest issue with them on alternate covers) that they play it with all down strokes. but i find that very hard so i just alternate pick.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.

hybrid picking...
and does it really matter how you play a song as long as you enjoy playing it?
Quote by Ghold125

No its not, its all down strokes, any guitarist that knows Metallica well enough knows that all their rhythm is down stroked.

As to TS, try using a metronome, lower the speed and practice playing it DOWNSTROKED then when you start feeling comfortable, increase the speed and start practicing, keep going until you reach the real tempo of the song.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by Ghold125
how did i lie to you?

haha not you, the guy who told me metallica plays all down strokes for MOP

EDIT: well i just watched a video and they were all downstrokes lol but i wasnt calling you a liar
Last edited by stratdud39 at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by Sakattack75
don't use alternate picking. downstrokes are the way to go. if you can get that up to speed using downstrokes, ur my goddamn hero

i'm your hero
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
I like to downstroke just 'cause it feels like I'm playing fast, but a problem with that is when I need to play really fast, my hand can't move that fast. I'd suggest learning to play alternate stroking, just so you can use it when you need to. It's not like you have to play one or the other all the time.
downstrokes. just practice. Personally, I hate downstroking, but I must admit it sounds better for Master of Puppets
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
It is all down strokes. Iv seen interviews where they talk about it. Which makes it much more difficult to play. Use a metronome and work up slowly. Practice practice practice.
Downstroke and for the bit after the first riff just try and get thr rythym going with your downstrokes it makes it alot easier. Also if you aren't already, use guitar pro. Seriosuly helped me get all of it downstroked. Hope i helped.
for this
|-----------------------------------------
|-----------------------------------------
|--------------------7---6---5----------
|--------------------7---6---5----------
|-----7-----6-------5-- 4-- 3---------
|-0-0---0-0---0-0---------------------

i downstroke. for this

E----0-0-7-0-0-6-0-0-5-0-4-0-3-0-2--------l

i alternate, but jaymz downstrokes the whole thing cuz hes a god.
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Dean Cemetery Gates Rzrbck
Marshall MG250 (screw you guys everyone i kno loves this amp)
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
MXR 10 Band EQ (black, not blue)
It's all downstroked. Just practice it, and it should come in no time/
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by breakstuff
No its not, its all down strokes, any guitarist that knows Metallica well enough knows that all their rhythm is down stroked.

No it's not.
Go watch the St. Anger live DVD. It's all alternate picking on St. Anger. And the jury's still out on Death Magnetic.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
dont alt pick. it looks bad and sounds different. alt picking, just practice and practice and you should be able to do it on all strings. maybe you an do economy picking if you cant alt well.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Justice4AllOne
No it's not.
Go watch the St. Anger live DVD. It's all alternate picking on St. Anger. And the jury's still out on Death Magnetic.

st anger doesnt count. they got mind controlled for that album. then it stopped so they made death magnetic.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
st anger doesnt count. they got mind controlled for that album. then it stopped so they made death magnetic.

Lol, St. Anger was good for the first four songs, and Death Magnetic only had four good songs.
They're both evenly good/bad.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Metallica not always downstrokes but they do it whenever is humanly possible. Hetlfied even play all downstrokes the first solo of MOP.

As for the TS, just play the way you want or are more comfortable as long YOU are satisfied with the sound/tone you're getting.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by gooooog

and plus how does he do that

i just ignore the F note and replace it with another E. its so fast, most people don't even notice
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
and btw. the first riff is all one the low e string.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes