Page 1 of 2
This guy is amazing and plays from life expieriences , seen him quite a few times now and each time he blows the opposition away, i play mainly metal but like most guitarists have roots in the blues and there's just something about this dude.
Watched him play his 3 string blues other day on jules hollands show , man he held those fancy artists in the palm of his hand...with just 3 strings on a scruffy home made guitar and amp and stomp box (no not electric) just a box ....wow.
my bagder stares at me.....
Ah, with his Mississippi drum machine!

I'd love to see him live, he's fantastic. There was an article about him in Guitarist magazine recently, pretty interesting bloke it seems.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Yea he,s a real roots player no frills , i would love to chat with him and jam , makes me feel over the top with all my gear now,, he,s on tour now.

http://www.seasicksteve.com/
Man's incredible - loved Dog House Music. I just realised I've missed out on tickets to see him in Belfast on the 27th. Shit.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
saw him at the arches in glasgow a year and a bit back, he was good. Half of his set was just tellin' stories. was excellent.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
He's pretty awesome.

It's good that he had something to get him through his troubled times.
I went to see Steve last November at the Leeds Cockpit. He was great and actually got to have a chat with him after the show. He was very modest and humble, a top bloke.

I LOVE Seasick steve, made me want to start playing guitar, and whenever a string broke and I couldn't be arsed to get a new one, he inspired me to carry on!

Don't think of your sister naked.

[You just did]
I've liked the songs I've heard in the past, but a couple of weeks back my mum bought his latest album and I didn't think much of it. There were some decent songs but I found listening to his stuff for a whole album length to be quite annoying, and then having that story at the end was a bit odd.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
To be perfectly honest, I think Seasick Steve is a good example of record companies' eye for profit. Steve has a good background story (being a hobo) and of course this sells music. The music itself is alright but in fairness I don't think its anything really special, he's not the only musician like that out there. But perhaps Steve's rise to fame will open some people eyes to the wonders of blues?....
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Quote by matt92l
To be perfectly honest, I think Seasick Steve is a good example of record companies' eye for profit. Steve has a good background story (being a hobo) and of course this sells music. The music itself is alright but in fairness I don't think its anything really special, he's not the only musician like that out there. But perhaps Steve's rise to fame will open some people eyes to the wonders of blues?....

This is what I said in the last thread about him. I completely agree with you.

It's sad that the record companies are out to make money from him, but I'm guessing he's doing a lot better now than he ever has been and if that's doing him good then something great has come out of it in the end.
I can see your points but let us not forget if it wasn't for record companies having the balls to take a chance on some alternative artists everything would be boy and girl bands and x factor regects, i personaly would rather 10 seasick steves than 1 mc'fly or girls aloud, everything we do can be said is similar to someones type or style ,i mean if record companies never took a chance on black artists when it was frowned upon to do so we wouldn't have the blues players we admire.
Good luck to him i say all i hope is he keeps to his roots.
bleh, I don't care about record companies. The man puts on a great show however it's done.

He's not musically special but he stands out as being a real example of... that kind of blues mythology that's been missing since middle class white people like Clapton took it over. And no i'm not saying anything about white people or middle class people's attatchment o the blues it's just that Seasick Steve, wether he is or isn't, comes across as the genuine article. He plays songs, he tells stories about his life and seem genuinely glad to be there.

The music is a medium through which he does that and, as such, is ample.

EDIT:

I heard some Mcfly on the radio and they seemed pretty alright compared to most manufactured bands (are they manafactured?). Obviously it was nothing earth shattering, but they could all sing and play and their songs were pretty catchy (by severely ripping off the beatles and various other older pop bands) but still, it comes out alright.
Oh, I'm not blaming the record company or anything. If people like the music, who am I to say no to Girls Aloud, I'm sure they are all very good at what they do. I am content respecting people for what they do and what they get out of it. As long as I'm not forced to listen to Girls Aloud videos and only have to watch them.

As Meh! said, if he and other people are enjoying it, that's fine with me. Same goes for most stuff.
Last edited by ze monsta at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by kr46
I can see your points but let us not forget if it wasn't for record companies having the balls to take a chance on some alternative artists everything would be boy and girl bands and x factor regects, i personaly would rather 10 seasick steves than 1 mc'fly or girls aloud, everything we do can be said is similar to someones type or style ,i mean if record companies never took a chance on black artists when it was frowned upon to do so we wouldn't have the blues players we admire.
Good luck to him i say all i hope is he keeps to his roots.

i'm not sayin or getting into who likes what if ya like what ya like good and age has a part to play in it, shit oasis make a living out of being a beatles tribute band.....this guy has seen more in a week than most.

agree with the girls aloud stuff dude but most of us 40+ guys would.
Last edited by kr46 at Oct 20, 2008,
A lot of his songs are about having nothing and being poor, he's hardly poor now Its possible he'll wish he was a bum on the streets again, not knowing how to live the high life.
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Quote by matt92l
A lot of his songs are about having nothing and being poor, he's hardly poor now Its possible he'll wish he was a bum on the streets again, not knowing how to live the high life.

No doubt beverley hillbillies comes to mind

and i'm sure lost family will appear
Quote by meh!
I heard some Mcfly on the radio and they seemed pretty alright compared to most manufactured bands (are they manafactured?). Obviously it was nothing earth shattering, but they could all sing and play and their songs were pretty catchy (by severely ripping off the beatles and various other older pop bands) but still, it comes out alright.

Busted rejects - literally - so I assume there was some degree of manufacturing involved.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
Busted rejects - literally - so I assume there was some degree of manufacturing involved.

Ah, fair enough. I knew there was a reason they twinned in my head.
Ive heard of this guy, the name of his album is hilarious, summat like 'i started out with nothin, and i still have most of it left'. Seems decent live.
I’m slightly torn with my opinion of Seasick Steve. On the one hand, he does have quite an amazing life story - and he’s quite a talented musician. But, like others have already stated, there is to a certain degree, a feeling that his success has come more from his record label’s capability to sniff out the opportunity to make money, rather than Steve’s wholesome talents being 100% responsible.

I like his music, but his last album felt slightly… dare I say commercial? All of that talking, I just felt like someone was forcing him to play to the stereo-type as much as possible. But there aren’t really many stand-out tracks.

Live, I think he’s better. Purer. And I think he enjoys himself more live.
i agree he belongs in a smokey blues bar doing his thing,,,but he deserves ato be brought to the attention of more people and record companies love em or hate em are the only ones with the clout to do it.
He is awesome, IMO the best new act in years (can you call someone new when they're as old as he is?) Saw him live 3 times, got to meet him after one of the shows, and he's a real gent. Deserves every bit of praise he gets.

Also I'd definitely recommend the new album, his best one IMO.
Quote by Moggan13
Can i please make sweet, sweet many love to you?
I love seasick steve. His new album is great, more polished but not overly so. Still has that rawness and edge to it.

At first I thought it was a bit gimmicky and the hobo thing was very played up but seeing vids of him and interviews and listening to his music more he seems like a very genuine guy and a real character. Whether or not the record companies are using his past to make money is another matter but Steve himself isn't to blame for that. He is a great musician and he deserves the attention he's been getting lately IMO, great to see some authenticity back in blues when it has started to almost be a bit of a trend now to some degrees.

Anyway if Nick Cave respects him enough to work with him, that's enough for me.

His stories are interesting, they remind me of my boss/friend/adopted uncle.. Always has a story to tell about everything and can hold an audience for hours.
So long as the record companies aren't just exploiting him and he doesn't end up back on the streets penniless, it's all good. Steve's getting paid, they're making money, I like his music and he gets to travel the world. Cool, for a hobo off the streets.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Quote by sshaun007
I think he's pretty good.

The mystery about him is how old he is!

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=6010

That's an interview with him from 2000, and he says he's 50, putting him at 58/59 now. Seems older to me, put I guess living on the street takes it's toll.
Quote by Moggan13
Quote by RubberSoul54321
So long as the record companies aren't just exploiting him and he doesn't end up back on the streets penniless, it's all good. Steve's getting paid, they're making money, I like his music and he gets to travel the world. Cool, for a hobo off the streets.

He lives in norway now and shit, I think he's actually pretty set...
He was already living in noway or wherever before he got 'famous' working in a recording studio or some crap, then Jools Holland heard his album with the Level Devils and put him on TV and I guess made him famous, touring together and stuff. Pretty cool story.
Oh right, fair enough.
amazing, saw him live this summer, and had a field of thousands all stamping their feet in time with the 'Chiggers' song, it was amazing how he commanded the huge stage and audience in such a passive and endearing way. Ive got both his solo, and the level devils albums, and although i thought he was just a stupid gimmick at first ive been wholeheartedly corrected!
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P = The Man

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
My mom used to fart a lot. It sucked.
he was just on Belgian television. He's amazing. not just a good guitarist (in my opinion) bu also an extremely funny person

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Started listening to him recently, amazing stuff, really getting into it! Same with TS, im mostly into metal, but I don't like to neglect other types of music, and I really love this guys music now.

Great the way he started off from nothing too, and seems a really nice down to earth guy with a great sence of humor. Shows you don't have to have great top of the range gear and a brilliant band behind you for a great sound too!
too tue dude ,,we all need to unplug sometime...peace
Seasick Steve is brilliant, I just recently discovered him. I just read that he is collaborating with Jack White, I think that is quite awesome!

http://www.nme.com/news/seasick-steve/42238
Quote by Ichimaru
I've always wanted to meet a really hot readhead so that I could tell her name is Moses and I'm here to see the burning bush.
Quote by ze monsta
He was on BBC Four almost all night yesterday, British folks might want to check it out on iPlayer.

I saw the documentary, Bringing it Home I think it was called? Very good, gave a real insight into the type of life he lived, and good to finally see who this Sherman he keeps talking about is :P
Quote by Moggan13
Page 1 of 2