I want to tune my guitar to Drop A# which is 3 steps down on the 6th string and 2 steps down on the rest, I know im going to need higher gauged strings to cope but will this damage the guitar in anyway like the neck and truss road etc? Its a string through so would any other adjustments need to be made?
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
edit: just read its a sting thru id think you would need an adjustment but drop a confusesme i see no point past drop c because basses are ment for the low ends not guitars learn your place
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Oct 19, 2008,
your strings are going to be like cooked spaghetti.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Hmmm I would go for the 0.11 gauge strings and maybe some adjustments on the whammy bar (If you have one) but it won't damage your guitar at all.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
I'd say you'd need at least 11's, if not 12's.
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

playing the in the in flames tuning?

as far as tuning to that..id obviously change to a much higher gauge string. i play .11 when i play in that tuning and it works pretty well for me. the other thing your going to want to do is adjust your eq settings on your amp. it would be a good idea to roll off some of your bass frequencies or else your sound is going to be veryyy muddy. as for the trus rod..my guitar hasnt warped at all and i keep it in c standard all of the time and its not even a bari guitar so your should be fine as well.
i would personally get some 12 to 56 guage strings for that tuning, i use them in B standard and its just right for me, seeing as when i play in standard i use normal 9s

also, thumbs down to everyone jipping low tunings, they are brilliant when you use them right
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
its his guitar, he can tune it however the **** he wants.

if you decide not to get higher tension strings, the neck may straighten a bit which will cause fret buzz.
Something like 12 - 62 should do the job for drop-A#. 56 is a bit sloppy in B-standard, so I guess it would be ever worse in A#.

Quote by ILoveGuitar07
why would you want to go lower than C?

Yuck....

Silence. leave.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by HIM%(^
playing the in the in flames tuning?

as far as tuning to that..id obviously change to a much higher gauge string. i play .11 when i play in that tuning and it works pretty well for me. the other thing your going to want to do is adjust your eq settings on your amp. it would be a good idea to roll off some of your bass frequencies or else your sound is going to be veryyy muddy. as for the trus rod..my guitar hasnt warped at all and i keep it in c standard all of the time and its not even a bari guitar so your should be fine as well.

yeah that amazing flames tuneage!

I was gonna go for some 12-56 as long as my neck doesnt warp as you said not being a baritone, and i would assume no major adjustments are needed as i have no trem
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Innotation will more then likley be way off. Just take it to a pro and get a nice setup if you can't do it yourself and you'll be fine. Don't put it in A# and tune it up to C or D the next day, because, that WILL damage you're neck. That causes some freaky neck warp issues.

I use 13-56 for Drop C and that keeps me happy (DAddario Jazz Med). I wouldn't be afraid to say order individual strings from Dadario in the 14-65 range. Make sure you turn the bass back on you're amp or it will just sound like a flop of mud as a whole band in that tuning ha.
Quote by bjoern_swe
Something like 12 - 62 should do the job for drop-A#. 56 is a bit sloppy in B-standard, so I guess it would be ever worse in A#.

Silence. leave.

+1

12-62 would be good, but have it set up by a pro. AND KEEP IT IN THAT TUNING! don't decide to play something in d, you will regret it.

Also i know that some speakers handle the low-end a lot better. For example i hear V30's get really muddy in tuning that low.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I play in B all the time. I use .11s for that though, I really see no point for going past B since that'll really just mud up the sound if you don't have some Mick Thompson Celestion speakers or something that can handle that much low end. I guess if you mess with the settings enough it'll sound alright on any amp though. I'd get it set up by a pro if you've never done this.
Quote by StratoTele
The punji sticks only work if you use your own feces. Most brand names aren't reliable.

All I gotta do is put on a cool face...