Page 1 of 2
Hi guys, I'm saving up a fair bit of money so I can get some new gear, and I can't decide what would be a bigger difference for my sound.

I have a Peavey Envoy 110 Transtube combo amp and a Fender Mexican Strat (Seymour Duncan Hotrail pickup is the only mod on it) right now (nothing great but yeah) and I want something proper now, so I can't decide what to get. I've had second opinions and people seem to think a new guitar would be a bigger difference, but I think having the Nitro would be a bigger difference and be a better investment right now until I have the money to get the latter.

Any ideas? =/

Thanks for any replies!
Please get the amp. Amps have far more effect on your tone than the guitar, it's not as if you have a bad guitar either, the MIM strats are decent.
nitro
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok thanks for the replies everyone!

I was sure about getting the Nitro in the first place but then after people trying to persuade me otherwise it gave me second thoughts.

Does anyone know any UK dealers for Nitro's and roughly how much it would cost?

I was thinking just over £1000 (with a KT88 upgrade), soundsgreatmusic.com does them but they haven't contacted back with their price. Does anyone know anywhere else? Near the Staffordshire region would be best
Your guitar will sound like a new guitar through that amp. Get the amp. Amp=90% of your tone (not counting fingers) !
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Bluerandafender

I was sure about getting the Nitro in the first place but then after people trying to persuade me otherwise it gave me second thoughts.

I was thinking just over £1000 (with a KT88 upgrade), soundsgreatmusic.com does them but they haven't contacted back with their price. Does anyone know anywhere else? Near the Staffordshire region would be best

soundsgreat is a splawn dealer now? i didn't know that, i thought you still had to import. my guess is it'll be more than £1000, though. if you check on the splawn site, the nitro is the guts of $2000 (if not even slightly more, i forget the exact price, and cba looking it up as i can do without another GAS attack). that's £1000, add in ~25% customs, ~£100 shipping, and a 100% markup for the UK being the rip-off capital of the world and, if you buy from a UK dealer, i wouldn't be surprised if the price were pushing £2000. I could be wrong, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a MIM strat and I would def get an amp upgrade if i was you - even if it isn't the Splawn.

^Dave - I think he was saying Soundsgreat would swap his tubes out for him or sell the tubes not resell Splawn.

you could also try to find on Craigslist and negotiate the shipping. I don't know how Used Gear is treated from an import tax perspective, VAT and all that crap.
oh ok.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bluerandafender

A Nitro would be preeety darned to get a hold of in the UK. Surely there are a lot of other alternatives for you; there are some great amp builders across the pond that us in America don't have access to.
dude get the splawn, they are insane

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

NITRO.
it would by FAR make a bigger difference in your sound than a new guitar
Quote by Dave_Mc
soundsgreat is a splawn dealer now? i didn't know that, i thought you still had to import. my guess is it'll be more than £1000, though. if you check on the splawn site, the nitro is the guts of $2000 (if not even slightly more, i forget the exact price, and cba looking it up as i can do without another GAS attack). that's £1000, add in ~25% customs, ~£100 shipping, and a 100% markup for the UK being the rip-off capital of the world and, if you buy from a UK dealer, i wouldn't be surprised if the price were pushing £2000. I could be wrong, of course.

I'm pretty sure their 1850 in the states. not sure how that effects your price though. There are still great amps over there you could look at. Maybe check out Cornford? Not sure how they do for high gain stuff though. I think you should estimate maybe 1500 pounds?
cornfords are great, definitely would be worth a try, good call there. not quite sure if they're br00talz (i haven't tried all their models but the ones i have tried have been more hard rock than br00talz), but excellent amps.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Edit for this late post....With the Splawns...

Problem is the value may not be there after taxes. He's going from a Transtube Envoy to a MUCH higher end amp. Maybe he needs a step in between to carry him over until Splawns are more readily available or something.

What about a used Marshall Super Lead or similar? For now. Or an Orange or Laney?
I would, as dave said, expect to pay 2000quid for a nitro. Import tax is like around 20-40%, the amp itself is $1,950. A Mesa Mark IV is about the same price brand new, I would expect the price to be rediculous.

Are you sure you even want a splawn. Im' all for a new amp, but buying an amp built in America is a bad value overseas, unless you trade an amp such as the Diezel Einstein or so.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
for around £1300 you can get a Laney Gh50L with a marshall 1932 2x12 and a Jackson RR24 from GAK. That setup's more than respectable for metal.

I'd advise you to not blow your entire budget on one thing. maybe not that exact rig, but spread the wealth about.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
^ that also would be worth considering. it all depends on how quickly more money can be saved... if he could get the (e.g.) splawn now, then save enough for a kickass guitar within 6 months, then go with the kickass amp and get the guitar later. if this is all the money he'll have for a while, then splitting the budget may be preferable...

Quote by mcrfobtai
I was thinking Orange too. But Cornford has always struck me as a bit lower gain there. Not positive though

i'd say cornford was more modern-sounding than orange...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ that also would be worth considering. it all depends on how quickly more money can be saved... if he could get the (e.g.) splawn now, then save enough for a kickass guitar within 6 months, then go with the kickass amp and get the guitar later. if this is all the money he'll have for a while, then splitting the budget may be preferable...

i'd say cornford was more modern-sounding than orange...

No, that's not what I was staying. I was just sort of rambling. Saying Orange could be good. Then as a side thought, that I always though Cornford was kinda lower gain. I wasn't really comparing the two.
I checked again on soundsgreatmusic.com and they stock the amps, obviously shipped in. $1950 converts roughly to around £1150, so I'll contact them for a price and see how it goes, I'll also be needing a cab of course so unless I do more research I'll be getting a Splawn 412 (with the seemingly popular Eminence Governor and Manowar X-Pattern setup), so I'll be looking at £1500-2000.

Also, I would get something cheaper meanwhile but I'd prefer to get what I'm aiming for now and set a goal for myself than settle for something cheaper that I'm not passionate about getting, but thank you for the suggestions.

Sigh, Aldi, here I come!

Yet again, thanks for all the replies guys, really really helpful! =D
Last edited by Bluerandafender at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by Bluerandafender
I checked again on soundsgreatmusic.com and they stock the amps, obviously shipped in. $1950 converts roughly to around £1150, so I'll contact them for a price and see how it goes,

expect around £1950 when all is said and done.

then the cab on top of that.

it's your dream rig but I think you're underestimating the costs.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
problem is, for every Splawn they list on that site, when you got to 'Buy' it says 'this product is not available or some BS'.

And to someone else's point, Dave I think, all the Splawn dealers are listed on the splawnguitars.com

Well, what do you know they are listed.

That should make a lot of people happy.

Sounds Great Music
UK
+44 (0) 161 436-4799
www.soundsgreatmusic.com

http://www.splawnguitars.com/dealers.htm
Quote by Lemoninfluence
expect around £1950 when all is said and done.

then the cab on top of that.

it's your dream rig but I think you're underestimating the costs.

I probably am underestimating the costs, so I'm gonna set my mind on raising £2000 until I get in contact with SGM.com, it'll be worth it though. I don't have a job yet but I'll be getting one soon hopefully and it's my personal challenge to save for this rig!

Glad to know people have learnt about a UK dealer from this

Although, could you explain why you think it would cost £900 pound more? I know there would be more added onto that because they have to ship them in from America but I can't imagine what else would be on top that would amount to that much extra?
Last edited by Bluerandafender at Oct 20, 2008,
Look for other things that have better prices in the UK. Try some higher-gain Laney's, and some ENGL's or something.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Bluerandafender
Although, could you explain why you think it would cost £900 pound more? I know there would be more added onto that because they have to ship them in from America but I can't imagine what else would be on top that would amount to that much extra?

tax + shipping + a little extra for their pockets to take it to a round number.

tax itself is about 300 on top of it, then the shipping of about 100, which would bring it to 1550 then 400 because it's rare and prestigious.

it's not always about cost and/or what's a 'fair' price. it's supply and demand. Guitar shops are businesses too.

there's a very low supply of these and there's definitely demand for them, so they can charge a premium for them and get away with it.

Quote by element4433
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
you need to look up the VAT tax from US to UK. I have no idea.

'Value' Added Tax i think is what it is. Either way, it will get passed on to you. +the other stuff.

VAT is 17.5% but there are other import taxes because it's coming from outside the EU so in the end it works out to around 20 odd percent tax

Quote by element4433
A cornford mk50 II would be absolutely amazing for what you want.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by mcrfobtai
No, that's not what I was staying. I was just sort of rambling. Saying Orange could be good. Then as a side thought, that I always though Cornford was kinda lower gain. I wasn't really comparing the two.

no problem.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
tax + shipping + a little extra for their pockets to take it to a round number.

tax itself is about 300 on top of it, then the shipping of about 100, which would bring it to 1550 then 400 because it's rare and prestigious.

it's not always about cost and/or what's a 'fair' price. it's supply and demand. Guitar shops are businesses too.

there's a very low supply of these and there's definitely demand for them, so they can charge a premium for them and get away with it.

+1, also hedging bets for currency fluctuations. and if there's a distributor, they'll have to get a cut too. that's cool there's a UK dealer now. Absolutely nowhere near me, but soundsgreat has some really nice stock, they do seem to stock the really cool stuff which everyone wants.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There is a waiting list like 2 months long for a splawn. They're not going to make any extra money from someone outside of the US wanting one. They're not going to sell it for less than they normally would.

Like I said once, if you really want a splawn you're going to have to trade for one. Buy an ENGL invader, or Diezel Einstein and hit Harmony centrals forums looking to trade for a nitro.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
There is a waiting list like 2 months long for a splawn. They're not going to make any extra money from someone outside of the US wanting one. They're not going to sell it for less than they normally would.

Like I said once, if you really want a splawn you're going to have to trade for one. Buy an ENGL invader, or Diezel Einstein and hit Harmony centrals forums looking to trade for a nitro.

that actually seeems like a pretty ballin idea. if i were you i would do that
i would've if i hadnt already ordered my splawn

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
that actually seeems like a pretty ballin idea. if i were you i would do that
i would've if i hadnt already ordered my splawn

I got my splawn from a trade with Erock. There are quite a few on harmony central. If you were really determined you could find out what someone with the amp you want wants, and the buy that from another guy on there, and then sell that amp to the guy with the amp you want. That way you get to try out 2 amps, get the amp you really want, and not break the bank.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I got my splawn from a trade with Erock. There are quite a few on harmony central. If you were really determined you could find out what someone with the amp you want wants, and the buy that from another guy on there, and then sell that amp to the guy with the amp you want. That way you get to try out 2 amps, get the amp you really want, and not break the bank.

Sounds like a good idea!

I'll give it a look =)
Quote by MESAexplorer

only problem is if the second guy changes his mind in the meantime, you're stuck with an amp you don't want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
only problem is if the second guy changes his mind in the meantime, you're stuck with an amp you don't want.

Then you list it on HC waiting for someone else to buy it.

The thing is, people who want stuff to sell quick will let it go cheap. I made like $500 on my roadking.

If you buy a $1,500 amp at a used price, chaces are it's going to be good though.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Page 1 of 2