Hi everyone, I have my bass tracks already recorded. I'm trying to figure out how to make them sound better. Changing how I track them isn't much of an option.
I want to make it sound

-Less Boomy
-More upfront but not overpowering the guitars
-Less Muddy

Does anyone have any advice on how to make it sound better? Right now it booms over the guitar when i turn it up and you can't here the subtle playing parts when it's turned down.
Thanks a lot
less boomy but more upfront ? how is that posible ?
MY GEAR

dean metalman bass
epiphone sg
squier infinity series telecaster
fender 15 watt bass amp
boss ds 1 distortion pedal
dean 6 string cutaway acoustic
zakk wylde signature crybaby
Quote by Rob_b_543
EQ it ...... just keep messing about with it until you get the right sound

yeah.. and try putting an compressor over it, could remove the worst booms
You like it
take an EQ,
make a very sharp boost and sweep it through the low range, (50-500hz)
this way you can pick out the "Boom" frequencies and cut them down a bit.

for clarity, try boosting some of the upper frequencies, a slight boost at 1khz and somewhere around 3-6khz can help.

then put a compresser over the track. set it up to tame the "peaky" parts without squashing the life out of the performance.

for the eq i'd recommend a paragraphic type eq like NyquistEQ:

http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/#NyquistEq

and for the compressor, i get great use out of Kjaerhus Audio Classic Compressor:

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-compressor.php

ultimatly, its worth bearing in mind that the majority of the tone is a direct result of the instrument itself.
a crappy bass with crappy pick-ups is not going to sound good regardless of what processing is used.
then again, "good" is sugjective.
also,
if the guitars and bass are fighting for space,
try eqing the guitars to take out some of the low-end, make room for the bass.
Cut the bass just under 100Hz, nothing much happens there. Add a slight overdrive, not distorsion, which will allow it to cut through. Maybe add some compression, sidechained with the kick if you want to make the rhythm section more "cohesive". And like TheDriller said, applying a low cut to the guitars will allow the bass to sit more comfortably in the mix.
im in two minds about using sidechain compression in rock music, that kind of thing doesn't happen when a bassist and drummer are playin in real life, i think its a technique that suits electronic music a lot better.

if your gonna use an overdrive on a bass i recommend splitting the bass into two tracks and eq each, one track with a low-pass and one with a hi-pass set to overlap each other. keep the low end track clean and put the overdrive on the high end track, buss them together and put a compressor over the whole thing to glue the two sides back together.
aye.. bass isn't so much about mixing levels. its about mixing frequencies.

if you're boosting certain low frequencies in the bass guitar, you'll need to compensate by cutting those freqs in the bass drum. and then vice versa so that the bass drum doesn't sound to weak.

example: boost bass guitar @ 100hz -> cut bass drum @ 100hz
cut bass guitar @ 60 hz -> boost kick drum @ 60hz

by doing both, this allow the low ends of each instrument to ring thru without crowding each other.

also, some good freqs to start at so that your bass guitar becomes less boomy, is to cut a few decibels in the 250 hz range and the 400 hz range.

also remember that when you're mixing frequencies, its never a good idea to have extreme EQ curves.. you don't really want to boost or cut beyond 3 or 4 decibels for whichever frequency
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.