So here's the situation.

I've been playing for close to a year now. This girl I know wants to play bass as well, asked me to teach her. So, as part one, I'll probably be giving her my old bass and my current amp, maybe some other stuff in exchange for her dad's old amp. Part two is actually teaching. I'm mostly self-taught, never really had the benefit of a teacher, so I'm basically wondering how I should do it.

My current plan is pretty much to teach her the way I learned. Start off by just sort of messing around until she's comfortable with plucking the strings and hitting the frets, then teaching her a couple simple songs I learned while starting out (Feel Good Inc, 7 Nation Army, Twisted Sister's Burn in Hell, some Static-X, maybe some Motorhead), then playing to an audio track, then let her pick some of her own songs, then some new techniques like gallop, hammer on, slap and pop, then start going into scales and such.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
You need to know this first: does she actually want to play bass or just **** around with it for a month or two and then never look at it again? If A) then don't teach her, I don't think you can really do a competent job, other than just showing her the basics. If B) then go ahead with what you're doing.
lol dude she just wants to **** u , i cant tell u how many girls have asked me to teach tehm to play bass/guitar and all they want to do is **** me. im not sayin getin laid is bad, but dont teach her just get laid . and plus you said her dad has an amp meanin he probably plays guitar or bass? wouldnt that mean if she wanted to learn he would have taught her already
MY GEAR

dean metalman bass
epiphone sg
squier infinity series telecaster
fender 15 watt bass amp
boss ds 1 distortion pedal
dean 6 string cutaway acoustic
zakk wylde signature crybaby
Quote by telecasterguy95
lol dude she just wants to **** u , i cant tell u how many girls have asked me to teach tehm to play bass/guitar and all they want to do is **** me. im not sayin getin laid is bad, but dont teach her just get laid . and plus you said her dad has an amp meanin he probably plays guitar or bass? wouldnt that mean if she wanted to learn he would have taught her already

Damn, and I turned down so many...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Well, she has played bass a bit, her dad played. He moved out though, took his bass, left his amp (so I gather).

I wouldn't mind getting laid by this girl, but it couldn't hurt to try to make her a decent bass player in the process.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by Mephysteaux
Well, she has played bass a bit, her dad played. He moved out though, took his bass, left his amp (so I gather).

I wouldn't mind getting laid by this girl, but it couldn't hurt to try to make her a decent bass player in the process.

More often than not, they actually are interested in learning how to play bass, so don't get to happy. Just teach her basic things and all the music theory you know. I won't teach someone unless they've played for at least six months so I can skip that troublesome "just mess around until you're comfortable with the instrument" phase.

Do you play with a band?
If so you could bring her to a practice/jam sessinon or whatever you call it and have her participate in the song writing process. That would really get her learning.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Not yet. We have a mutual friend who plays guitar who I'm going to start playing with soon, but once we do I think having her there would be a good idea.
Quote by telecasterguy95

wow not only is that crude and disgusting but it also comes from the mouth of a middleschooler....anyway to the op if she is really interested teach her if not...why not show her some basics and if she really starts to get into it then do some more complicated stuff
youve been playing for less then a year an your already teaching?

sweet
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
Quote by telecasterguy95

What your like 13 i dont believe at all that anyones asked you to teach them or that youve got laid. Tut tut.

Well i would say get her used to the bass and make her streghtin up her fingers. then play through some song and music she likes. then things like other tecniques and some simple theory.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
What your like 13 i dont believe at all that anyones asked you to teach them or that youve got laid. Tut tut.

Thank god he's only 13. I thought I was either a really good bassist or really ugly for a second.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you