Hey guys. I need your input on how big a pedalboard should be for on-stage live performances.

Check out this guy’s pedalboard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zzvxcGkfyA

According to the vid, this dude’s pedalboard is packed with the following:

Two overdrive pedals (the Divide-by-13 Joyride and the Fuzzy Boy)
Two delay pedals (the T-Rex Delay and the Deluxe Memory Man)
Two compressor sustainers (the Keeley Compressor and the Cannonball Boy)
Two fuzz pedals (the Octafuzz and the ZVex Ooh-Wah)
One tremolo pedal (the T-Rex Tremolo)
One pre-amp (the Germanian Boy)
One phaser pedal (the MXR Phase 90)
One chorus pedal (the H20 Liquid Chorus)
One reverb pedal (the Holier Grail)

Do you think this guy’s pedalboard is kind of excessive? I mean- Is there any need to have two delay pedals, two compressor sustainers, two fuzz pedals, and two overdrive pedals? Don’t you think one of each is enough? With a total of 13 pedals, don’t you think the signals will interfere with one another?

What are your thoughts? How might this pedalboard be scaled down?
Last edited by Jericho-79 at Oct 19, 2008,
IF all the pedals are used, in a tasteful way, then the more the merrier.
Keeping it real since '92
Seems fine to me, you can never have enough dirt boxes and seeing as those are analog delays, he probably has one set up for slapback and one for longer stuff. For the comps, one is probably dirty as hell and the other is probably there to be transparent.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Soem people need different sounds from delays, and also, different delay times when playing live. People do things like that. I personally wouldn't need that many pedals but I can see how some would
Quote by Kevin Saale
Not all on at once.

Not having used those exact pedals - it's possible to use multiple effects in a tasteful manner, but it's not the traditional style of playing. Players like Nels Cline or Thurston Moore can tastefully use many effects (in my opinion).

I think the question has been fairly well answered though, when used properly in a certain setting one can never have too many stompboxes.
Ooh-Wah isn't a fuzz, it's an Auto-Wah, as the name implies. But yeah, I think four distortions on one board is excessive. Especially if one of your compressors is being used to hard-clip distort the signal further, which in a way makes it five. Most I could ever see a need for is three, one for a boost/overdrive, one for hard-clip distortion, and one for fuzz. Also, there are much bigger pedal boards out there.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Seems fine to me, you can never have enough dirt boxes and seeing as those are analog delays, he probably has one set up for slapback and one for longer stuff. For the comps, one is probably dirty as hell and the other is probably there to be transparent.

What is 'slapback'?

For comps, which one is 'dirty' and which one is 'transparent'?
Slapback is a form of delay. A short, single repeat delay sound. Look, your live pedal board should hold all the effects YOU need. If you only need an od and a wah, great. If you need something with 20 effects, fine. It's all about what you need
Have you seen Petruccis Rack? That pedalboard is nothing compared to all the stuff JP uses.
Sig What?
That sounds reasonable enough to me.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by Jericho-79
What do you mean by 'tasteful'?

Not turning on like a flange and delay with all the knobs maxed and using a whammy pedal at +2 oct.
Keeping it real since '92
Quote by FlyingBeerman
Ooh-Wah isn't a fuzz, it's an Auto-Wah, as the name implies. But yeah, I think four distortions on one board is excessive. Especially if one of your compressors is being used to hard-clip distort the signal further, which in a way makes it five. Most I could ever see a need for is three, one for a boost/overdrive, one for hard-clip distortion, and one for fuzz. Also, there are much bigger pedal boards out there.

You obviously don't like the idea of versatility. Every distortion/OD pedal is going to be voiced differently; thus, the more "dirt" pedals you have, the broader your tonal options will be.

Quote by darth awsome
Have you seen Petruccis Rack? That pedalboard is nothing compared to all the stuff JP uses.

Exactly.

There is no such thing as too many pedals if you actually have a use for them all.
Quote by Toolfan11
Not turning on like a flange and delay with all the knobs maxed and using a whammy pedal at +2 oct.

Without the whammy part, you have pretty much what Justin Chancellor (Tool) did for the start of 46&2.

His bass effects line is bigger than most guitarists.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i win, i've got 15 (which aren't all in use mind you).

you can never have too many pedals.

i rock 4 delays, one is used primarily for looping. never too much delay.

i have lots more things on the way as well.

edit: i'd also like to add that "tasteful" is completely subjective. i very frequently use most of my pedals at the same time.

therefore,

i hereby declare all of your classic rock and 80's metal bands extremely un-tasteful.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Last edited by xwearesinking at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by FlyingBeerman

What is 'hard-clip' distortion? Is that a form of fuzz?

Which compressor can hard-clip distort a signal?
Pedals get their distortion through different forms of clipping. The softer the clipping, the closer it is to the amps original signal. The harder clipping also helps distortion pedals get more gain. The hard clipping is just a method of getting distortion
Tbh, I'd love to have a board that size, if not bigger.

I agree with everyone else. You can't have too many pedals as long as you actually have a legitimate use for them.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Can anyone tell me which of the compressors is dirty? And which one is transparent?
Can anyone tell me which of the compressors is dirty? And which one is just there to be transparent?
I don't know, research. I'd think the keeley is fairly transparent, but I have no experience with either. Why does it even matter?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not