Well, there are different reasons why all of us play the guitar. Some want to make it big in the music industry while others simply play because they want to have fun,some play it to impress other people etc . .

I picked up the guitar as a hobby but slowly I am trying to put in more time and become a bit more serious about my improvement. But the more time I try to put in ,My mind wants to get away from it now.

I have a major interest in football (Soccer as some of you know it). I spend more time watching football,reading related news etc. I want to concentrate only on the guitar but sadly unable to spend enough time with my guitar. (By enough I mean,I practicisng scales,learning theory,learning techniques etc. I do spend 30 mins a day playing songs I've already learnt)

Anyone else faced a similar problem and felt guilty about it as well. Any advise on how to tackle this will be helpful.
Thanks.
There's nothing to feel guilty about. You have a life outside of guitar, as well you should. No matter how deeply vested you are in somthing, you should always have interests outside of it, it's what makes you a well rounded person.

You don't necessarily have to alter your schedule as it is now. Just alter how you use it. Since you already spend 30 minutes a day, spend 3 of those days practicing songs you know, and 4 of those days spread out on learning new things. If you really want to spend more time with the guitar, you'll find ways here and there to do it, but don't feel like you have to pour every last ounce of yourself into it. Have interests, have friends, go out, live life, but don't feel guilty about it. Guitar isn't what you are, it's a part of what you are.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
No reason to feel guilty. You're playing guitar for yourself right? Just like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. It's up to you to set your priorities, if football/soccor is more important to you now, who is to say you're wrong?
Having another hobby, especially something completely different like football/soccer is great for playing guitar. You get your mind off playing for a while and it also conditions you physically which is good for your overall well being. Just work it out how it feels best to you. If one week you feel like playing football more do that and vice versa.
What others have said are spot on. Unless you make a living or want to make a living playing guitar, do it when you can fit it in. I admit that I feel bad if I don't at least get to play 30 minutes a day, but life takes over with two small children, a wife, a job, etc.

As far as only playing songs you already know, you will still have to practice them to a certain degree. Take some of that time and learn some new songs or new techniques. Eventually you will get tired of playing the same songs, even though they sound good.

If you are getting frustrated, go back to them to boost your confidence and realize you can learn new things because you learned those songs.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by chris.23
Well, there are different reasons why all of us play the guitar. Some want to make it big in the music industry while others simply play because they want to have fun,some play it to impress other people etc . .

I picked up the guitar as a hobby but slowly I am trying to put in more time and become a bit more serious about my improvement. But the more time I try to put in ,My mind wants to get away from it now.

I have a major interest in football (Soccer as some of you know it). I spend more time watching football,reading related news etc. I want to concentrate only on the guitar but sadly unable to spend enough time with my guitar. (By enough I mean,I practicisng scales,learning theory,learning techniques etc. I do spend 30 mins a day playing songs I've already learnt)

Anyone else faced a similar problem and felt guilty about it as well. Any advise on how to tackle this will be helpful.
Thanks.

I'm kind of in the same position. I picked up the guitar because it looked fun. I've been learning for almost 2 years and I like it, but I really should practice more. In fact, I hardly ever practice. I spend most of my time playing the piano when it comes to making music. I play the piano about an hour every day cause I guess I'm just better at it. If I practice a lot of guitar maybe I can also some day be as good as I am on the piano, which would make it more fun to play. I'm not exactly good at playing the piano compared to other people who have been playing as long as I have (13 years) but I'm happy with what I can play.
Also, I'm a lazy arse. And a football (soccer) fanatic. If only I practiced as much guitar as much as I play Fifa 09 lol.
I suggest you set yourself a daily routine. I'll try it for myself. I'll probably fail but meh
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
hey guys I felt I should add my two cents in. I'm a 19 yrs old now and huge on the guitar (it's now my favorite thing to do) but in the past it wasn't exactly like that. See, at the ripe age of 11 or so, I fell in love with punk rock and Nirvana and forced my parents to buy me a fender squire electric guitar. they agreed and i soon started taking lessons. well, it's all a blur from there, but fast forward to high school, and i no longer played. I NEVER practiced guitar. yeah, it held me back a lot, and i ended up qutting lessons, but you know what? my senior year of high school i picked it up again and started playing. i began practicing scales, songs, everything. i used to play video games FREQUENTLY, now i don't play them AT ALL. i play guitar, guitar, guitar, and it NEVER gets old.

the secret?

I RECORD.

when i didn't record, i quickly became bored with the guitar. but once i began recording, it went to a new level.
try recording, it really makes it awesome. Audacity is free, find it on google. it's what i use everyday, literally.
The times they are a changin'.....