Page 1 of 2
What up yallz. Im going to go very basic for this one. 5 piece curly walnut/pau ferro/curly maple/pau ferro/curly walnut neck. No truss rod (i dont think so anyways), Mahogany/sapele back, book matched spanish cedar top (beautiful orange wood with very sexy white sapwood in the middle), if not that i will find some other top for it, or just use the sapele. Wrap-around bridge. 15 degree headstock angle, volute, you know. anyone has any radical ideas for it let me know, i am considering using 3 single coils for this build.
Last edited by LP Addict at Oct 19, 2008,
Sexy neck!
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
i know i dont need one, every neck ive built i havent even needed it, its just sitting in there putting no pressure, i figure if i dont even route out the main strength of the neck, i definitely wont need one, i can make sure that its flat and that it will always stay that way. i know what i am doing.
there will be a lot of extra strength in there - especially considering the different woods used. I think it'd be harder to sell on without one though. Not everyone will trust your skill - so if the intention is to sell i'd put one in for the sake.

looks nice tho
Truss rods are like condoms...

Better off having one and not needing it, than not having one and needing it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by LP Addict
i know i dont need one, every neck ive built i havent even needed it, its just sitting in there putting no pressure, i figure if i dont even route out the main strength of the neck, i definitely wont need one, i can make sure that its flat and that it will always stay that way. i know what i am doing.

are you kidding me? your not putting a truss in a neck... that is a mistake.. you will definitely regret that... wood warps its a guarantee.. no matter how dry it is it will warp.
Truss rods are only $15, I'd just throw one in there just in case. But I know what you mean. I haven't used mine on my neck through build either. I really am starting to believe that multi piece necks are usually strong enough that it doesn't matter, but I don't know if I would skimp on it.

What body wood and stuff are you looking at?
How long have you had your neck throughs? give them a few changes of seasons... they will eventually need truss rod adjustments.. Even if you think you wont need the truss rod just put it in, its not a waste of money..
Looking great LP.

I trust your skill enough not to question your lack of a truss rod.

(Personally I think you guys with all your fancy rods are just compensating for something)
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Looking great LP.

I trust your skill enough not to question your lack of a truss rod.

(Personally I think you guys with all your fancy rods are just compensating for something)

Yeah, I've seen enough of this guys work to trust his lack of a rod.
my buddy has been building acoustic guitars for about 35 years, he has never used a truss rod, his necks are all rosewood/mahogany/ebony laminates, pau ferro and ebony are almost equal in hardness as well. and his guitars ARE perfect.
Hmmmm interesting... i still would be a little hesitant to not put a truss in there.. just from my experience wood warps... from what i understand you get your wood from lumber yards like I do.. there is NO problem with that except for wood from lumberyards, although kiln dried, is not 100% dry and ready to be made into an instrument... it WILL warp... it doesn't matter how hard or soft the wood is. Anyway, its your choice and i respect your decision to not put the truss rod in. It's just that with how thin electric necks are the string tension bends the neck a little even if there is no warping.
I really hope you stick with the 3 single coil idea... never seen a LP with that config before. Gibson had the SG-3 which was fashioned after a Strat but I have no idea how it sounds as next to no one bought one.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Isnt the goal to have a slight bow with your neck though?

I get that the wood is strong enough to keep the neck straight on its own, but is the pull of the strings enough for that little bit of bow?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
some people like "relief" in their neck because it makes the action lower? its the same stupid idea about the action being lower on a compound radius fretboard, if its built correctly, and is perfectly flat, and the frets are perfectly level, ideally you could have 1/64'' action and get no buzz anywhere (all of my guitars)

also, with proper grain matching on the glue-up, wood warping would be technically impossible.
Last edited by LP Addict at Oct 19, 2008,
yeah, i trust u enough that u dont need the truss rod...but building an LP? if i recall, u said in one thread a while ago tht u didnt really like lp's
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^ Wow you guys, figure it out.

I was going to have my name as SG addict... but I didn't want you guys getting the wrong idea.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Yay for another thread jacking!

(I even got the original crew in on it, InvaderJim would be proud.)
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
lol^ Your new name is thread jacker...

Quote by LP Addict
i like the way p-90s are sounding. with a 3 way switch, 2 vol, 2 tones.

Yes!
maybe stick in p-rails, to get p-90, single coil or humbucker sounds.or a prail and 2 or one singles. what body wood?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
an lp with sg style carve with a belly carve would be cool the comfartrof a strat but not
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Im kinda just butting in now, but i think that not having a truss rod will be kinda sexy. Truss rods only give at most (if you do the neck right) about a 1/16" of relief, which isnt a lot. I would recommend, however, the carbon fiber rods that stew-mac offers to be placed inside the neck.

Worst comes to worst you wasted hundreds of dollars and precious time.
Back in the day necks didn't have truss rods but were 2x as thick. I'd put one in just for good measure. I don't care how dry your wood/air/bedroom/basement/underwear is, wood is wood. If you were making a steel neck i'd say screw the truss rod. The carbon fiber reinforcements would probably work but just think of it as having a bridge without height and intonation adjustments... in a perfect world, nothing needs to be tweaked...

some martins have solid, unadjustable rods... I just like having the option just in case.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
Back in the day necks didn't have truss rods but were 2x as thick. I'd put one in just for good measure. I don't care how dry your wood/air/bedroom/basement/underwear is, wood is wood. If you were making a steel neck i'd say screw the truss rod. The carbon fiber reinforcements would probably work but just think of it as having a bridge without height and intonation adjustments... in a perfect world, nothing needs to be tweaked...

some martins have solid, unadjustable rods... I just like having the option just in case.

+1, but then again who am I to say. Also I think LP addict has his mind set regardless what we say. I am looking forward to this one, btw!
yeah, if the grain match works, which if glued up right, it will... if one piece of wood decides to twist one way, the other piece of wood will prevent it from moving it all because of the opposite grain match... i just have to use all of my wood from the same board in order for this to work perfectly, which i have done, two pauferros from the same board, two walnuts from the same board.
I <3 pao ferro
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by LP Addict
yeah, if the grain match works, which if glued up right, it will... if one piece of wood decides to twist one way, the other piece of wood will prevent it from moving it all because of the opposite grain match... i just have to use all of my wood from the same board in order for this to work perfectly, which i have done, two pauferros from the same board, two walnuts from the same board.

Can you describe grain matching a little?

That neck will look sweet with those laminates.
Page 1 of 2