Page 1 of 2
Hey guys!

Check out my Weezer cover. It's on my profile. The gear used was my '57 Reissue Stratocaster and my 1983 Dean Z Standard. The amp used was a USA Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. All of it was done on the clean channel with the volume cranked. The mic that was used was a Logitech Rock Band mic and all mixing was done through Audacity.

Cheers folks!

EDIT: REVAMPED version with better mix and no backing track so the timing is better. Thanks for all the advice guys! http://boomp3.com/listen/c22f5x2nc_7/say-it-ain-t-remixed

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/H4T3BR33D3R/
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by strokemystripes
pretty good

Thanks man!

Any other input? Advice?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think it would have been a better idea to add some light distortion/crunch to the guitars that needed it and not have cranked the volume way up. There's some clipping/volume issues - a lot of the guitar parts seem to be peaking. I think the mixing could have been a lot better.

All that aside (which is basically just production issues) it was a pretty good version: singing, guitar parts etc . It was all very good, the finished product was just flawed.
love the vocals dude. the harmonizing was really cool

guitar work also wasn't bad, a few parts felt like you slowed down a bit then had to catch up again, but overall pretty good.
and maybe clean guitars would sound better, the recording sounded a little chaotic at times, especially since there are so many guitar tracks. I did like the reverb goin on though.

crit mine?
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981335&highlight=john+frusciante
The singer changed the song to much in my oppinion, other then that good job
sounded good man, the vocals were good as were the instruments.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
Quote by dchen93
love the vocals dude. the harmonizing was really cool

guitar work also wasn't bad, a few parts felt like you slowed down a bit then had to catch up again, but overall pretty good.
and maybe clean guitars would sound better, the recording sounded a little chaotic at times, especially since there are so many guitar tracks. I did like the reverb goin on though.

crit mine?
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981335&highlight=john+frusciante

Yeah, I had a hard time staying in time with the backing track. If you listen to the backing track closely, you can hear it fall out of time. If I could get a bass player and drummer, I probably could've done it better.

There are quite a few guitar tracks

I layered every guitar track and most vocals to thicken it up!

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to check yours.

Quote by Deathsdoor99
I think it would have been a better idea to add some light distortion/crunch to the guitars that needed it and not have cranked the volume way up. There's some clipping/volume issues - a lot of the guitar parts seem to be peaking. I think the mixing could have been a lot better.

All that aside (which is basically just production issues) it was a pretty good version: singing, guitar parts etc . It was all very good, the finished product was just flawed.

The mic is can't handle a lot of volume so I agree, I probably shouldn't have cranked it, but it sounds better that way. Just not through the mic!

I don't really know how to mix very well, thus why everything is off with the volume and stuff.

Thanks a bunch man!

Quote by zackk
sounded good man, the vocals were good as were the instruments.

Thanks man! That means a lot to me!

Quote by jason7_8
The singer changed the song to much in my oppinion, other then that good job

Really? I tried to stay really close to the recorded version. What should I do next time for future reference?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Nice playing but..

I didn't like all the crunch in the verses. What makes this song so great is its variance in dynamics. The verses are crunchy yet clean and quiet. The chorus, is loud, overdriven and epic. The verses almost sounded rushed, it should be more laid back, smooth and relaxed.

You got the dynamics pretty good with the vocals, just translate it over with the guitars. The dynamic range of this song is what makes it so great
Quote by eurotrashed
Nice playing but..

I didn't like all the crunch in the verses. What makes this song so great is its variance in dynamics. The verses are crunchy yet clean and quiet. The chorus, is loud, overdriven and epic. The verses almost sounded rushed, it should be more laid back, smooth and relaxed.

You got the dynamics pretty good with the vocals, just translate it over with the guitars. The dynamic range of this song is what makes it so great

Yeah, I tried to get as close as I could with the gear I had and my playing abilities, but I am no Rivers Cuomo!

I'll try to improve the tone for the song next time and try to slow it down a little bit. I felt a little rushed because the backing track threw me off.

I guess I can't really blame the backing track for my shortcomings though!

Thanks for your opinion!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I liked it Allan

I didnt even know you sang, your good. as said before, mixing was a little wierd but i understand if you used Audacity it can be hard to mix a bunch of tracks. Dynamics were really the only thing you need to work on (verse a little quieter lol)

9/10
Quote by Tubyboulin
I liked it Allan

I didnt even know you sang, your good. as said before, mixing was a little wierd but i understand if you used Audacity it can be hard to mix a bunch of tracks. Dynamics were really the only thing you need to work on (verse a little quieter lol)

9/10

Thanks!

I blame all the Karaoke that my mom made me do as a youngin'

The verses were quite loud on the guitars but any more quiet and they get eaten up by the backing track.

Maybe I can get one of my friends to do a better mixing job.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Thanks for commenting on mine i will try return the favour. I'll be honest i don't know much Weezer stuff but i reckon this sounds pretty good dude, the guitars sound beefy and the vocals are solid.
The start reminded me of Hendrix. Great job. I like the feedback you were getting between chords, sounded like the song.
Quote by Stillicide
The start reminded me of Hendrix. Great job. I like the feedback you were getting between chords, sounded like the song.

The tone is very Hendrix-like yeah? A little bit of 'Little Wing'? Yeah, the feedback was lucky

Quote by Big_Rat
Thanks for commenting on mine i will try return the favour. I'll be honest i don't know much Weezer stuff but i reckon this sounds pretty good dude, the guitars sound beefy and the vocals are solid.

Thanks man! Any advice?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Pretty good, noice feedback.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
very strong vocalist! Rare around here...one of the guitars is very good and the other i feel is a bit messy in parts. Same with with drums. Better than most covers round here though.
Quote by SugarRush66
Total shit.

>_>

You don't know me

<_<

*NINJA*

DAMN! You get back here!

Quote by priceless_twirp
very strong vocalist! Rare around here...one of the guitars is very good and the other i feel is a bit messy in parts. Same with with drums. Better than most covers round here though.

Thanks man! The guitars aren't synced up right which is why it's messy.

Quote by thellamaking
Sound cover man

You're too nice.

Quote by rhcp_freak
Pretty good, noice feedback.

Thanks, the feedback was the hardest part.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
MEGADETH IS BETTER!

pretty good, it was just really really loud.

i'll do one next
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
MEGADETH IS BETTER!

pretty good, it was just really really loud.

i'll do one next

Ooooooooh! I'm excited now.

Quote by SugarRush66
Seriously though - decent guitars (expected better from you ), apart from the solo which was ace and fantastic vocals. Sounded just like him, a bit quavery but still right in tune.

I know, guitars were wank.

I liked how they came out for the chorus.

I'll take kind of sounding like Rivers a compliment.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by priceless_twirp
very strong vocalist! Rare around here...one of the guitars is very good and the other i feel is a bit messy in parts. Same with with drums. .

this...
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by occub
this...

Thanks.

Do you have any more input besides that?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Wow. Of all the requests I've gotten to review user's covers, this one was by far the best. The only complaint is that the vocals aren't loud enough in some parts, but that's just a volume issue and the main focus is on the guitar (I'm guessing?). I gave you a 5.

Anywho, is this an actual band you're in or is it all you?
Quote by maidenforce19
Wow. Of all the requests I've gotten to review user's covers, this one was by far the best. The only complaint is that the vocals aren't loud enough in some parts, but that's just a volume issue and the main focus is on the guitar (I'm guessing?). I gave you a 5.

Anywho, is this an actual band you're in or is it all you?

Well, it was actually just my crappy mixing skills that cause the quiet vocals.

It's all me. I'm doing a whole bunch of covers with a band next month, I'll be sure to post them up here.

Hopefully they'll be good.

Thanks for the review man!

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'm doing my best to search for flaws, so I can provide some sort of constructive criticism, but I'm coming up short

Honestly, I'm blown away. Most of the covers on here are well done, but this is really one of the best.. one of my favorites at least.

I guess the only thing I could say, which has been said before, is that I think it got hurt somewhat by the mixing. Also I know some people said some guitar parts were a bit sloppy, but I think it really sort of fits the mood that way, and the solo was dead on, and that's the important part.

Not much in the way of criticism, I think its hard to point out flaws when someone is clearly better than I am.

Record more!

Cheers
Thanks man!

I'll probably end up re-recording this with live drums and bass as well as other songs that I feel like doing. It'll be a little hard to top this one.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Sweet, I'd like to hear it.

Well, I don't know if you are a fan, or already have others in mind, but I would love to hear you attempt a Muse cover, seems like nobody can do them justice.
Quote by RITZ7

Well, I don't know if you are a fan, or already have others in mind, but I would love to hear you attempt a Muse cover, seems like nobody can do them justice.

Oh I probably couldn't do a Muse song justice. They aren't my forte.

I'll give it a shot though.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Eh, I like listening to covers of their stuff regardless of how close it sounds or how well its done.

Just had to present it as a challenge so you couldn't turn it down
Quote by RITZ7

I did a Muse cover, check my sig
I enjoyed it. The guitars dont seem to be mixed very well to me. They sound peaked out and tend to drown everything else out. Vocals are well done with good harmonies. Just some mixing issues to fix and it will be a top shelf cover.
Quote by MrShowtime3
I enjoyed it. The guitars dont seem to be mixed very well to me. They sound peaked out and tend to drown everything else out. Vocals are well done with good harmonies. Just some mixing issues to fix and it will be a top shelf cover.

Yeah, the guitars were mixed very shoddy. I really have no clue as to what a good mix should sound like so I tried to do what I though would sound good.

Thanks for the review man! It's much appreciated.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by maidenforce19
I did a Muse cover, check my sig

I actually already commented on it
I agree with previous posters that you definitely should work on bringing different dynamics into the guitar parts. It kinda seems that you might be rushing the verse section on the guitar, or perhaps you're placing the notes incorrectly. It sounds akward to me.

Overall it's pretty good, just needs some polishing.
Quote by Eggness
I agree with previous posters that you definitely should work on bringing different dynamics into the guitar parts. It kinda seems that you might be rushing the verse section on the guitar, or perhaps you're placing the notes incorrectly. It sounds akward to me.

Overall it's pretty good, just needs some polishing.

Besides me not being on time with the backing track, I do also blame it on rushed recording and my own clumsyness.

Thanks for the review. I'll be sure to work on the dynamics and making sure everything sounds tight.

Cheers!

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
The guitars sounded like they were clipping at some parts but other than that its really good. Those vocals are great man, it rare that you hear a really good cover with good vocals as well. Good job.
Originally posted by Fendon
your freakin ugly bud

do you have cancer?
Page 1 of 2