I got this boomer of a guitar, an Epi FT-570 Sheraton. Not the prettiest flower in the garden; nicks, dings, battle scars, but a really nice sound.

The first three frets were worn down to almost nothing, couldn't really make an effective chord. So, I would just capo up past them.

I took it to a couple repair shops, and they wanted more than the guitar was worth to do a fret job.

All the frets were perfect, except 1, 2, and 3. So, I pulled 11, 12, 13, and used those as replacements. I only had to dress one end of each fret after I cut them to size. I placed the factory finished ends on the low side side of the fretboard.

Now, the low end of the fretboard looks factory fresh! No crowning, leveling, or burnishing needed. Works just dandy. And the three ends I dressed came out not to bad, also.

I just need to get a little fret wire to fill the slots I stole from. I'm sure those will take some work, but the low end of the fretboard has been restored to 100% functionality.
Wow. Never heard of this being done before, but whatever floats your boat I guess. Why didn't you take some frets from even lower down the fretboard? I'll occasionally use anything up to fret 15.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^ Thats what I thought. With some songs I usually drift up to the 12th fret at some point.

Good to see you weren't put off sorting out the frets yourself. If that was me I would've just carry on using it with a capo :3
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I've got, like, seven or eight other guitars that I use, so it's not important right this minute to be able to play up on the fretboard on that guitar.

As to why I chose the ones I did, I was trying to think ahead. I've never done any fret work before.

When I go through the leveling process on the replacement frets, I thought it might be advantageous to have a set of level frets on either side, for sort of a guide.
Well, picked up some fretwire during lunch today, and installed the three missing frets.

I'm glad I left originals to flank on both sides. I had a rubber auto body sander, and I put a one inch wide strip of emory cloth in the center. I used the original frets to rest the rubber sander on, and the center section sanded down the tops of the new frets.

Checked it every few strokes with a straight edge, until they got to the right height.

Used a small swiss file to take off the edge at the crown, and...TA-DA....done!!!

I had an old steel brush used to scrub auto bits. It has a nice hardwood handle. So, I put a little groove in the end of the handle, and rubbed briskly back and forth over the frets...oooh, smooth.

Wish I had a camera that could take a close up. A pro could probably pick out the new frets, but I bet the average guy would never know they were replaced.

Out of pocket cost--$0.
Time--about 3 hours, and saved a guitar from the toothpick pile.

By the way, I have never done fret work before. The reason for this thread was to hopefully encourage somebody else to step out of their comfort zone and try something new. Cheers!
Last edited by fyrefly at Oct 21, 2008,
Sounds great
Out of interest, do you by any chance have a before and after pic of your guitar?
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.