Poll: What to get?
Poll Options
View poll results: What to get?
Epiphone SG G400
15 41%
Epiphone Flying V 1967 Re Issue
22 59%
Voters: 37.
So I have been looking for a new guitar for a while now, and have asked UG multiple times what to get. The thing is that I'm an Indecisive prick... (See user title)

So this will hopefully be the last thread i start asking this question for a while.

I've narrowed it down to two. Epiphone SG G400 ($400) or a used Epiphone Flying V 1967 Re issue(Used, and discontinued, $300).

Which would be better for playing the following?(copied/pasted from my profile):
Green Day, Nirvana, Weezer, Dead Kennedys, Metallica, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, Linkin Park, Nine Inch Nails, The Strokes, Rage Against the Machine, The Misfits, Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Propaghandi, Hendrix, Queens of the Stone Age, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sum 41, Muse, The Clash, The White Stripes, Sick Puppies, Social Distortion, The Sex Pistols, and the Foo Fighters.
?!
I guess it really just comes down to which body style you prefer
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
hey bud assuming the V is in good condition or like new it is the best choice by far I have used both models extensivly and the V is by far the better instrument atleast the on I used I dont know about your particular specimen but if it is as I described I would strongly recommend the V
Quote by grenade24
So I have been looking for a new guitar for a while now, and have asked UG multiple times what to get. The thing is that I'm an Indecisive prick... (See user title)

So this will hopefully be the last thread i start asking this question for a while.

I've narrowed it down to two. Epiphone SG G400 ($400) or a used Epiphone Flying V 1967 Re issue(Used, and discontinued, $300).

Which would be better for playing the following?(copied/pasted from my profile):
Green Day, Nirvana, Weezer, Dead Kennedys, Metallica, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, Linkin Park, Nine Inch Nails, The Strokes, Rage Against the Machine, The Misfits, Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Propaghandi, Hendrix, Queens of the Stone Age, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sum 41, Muse, The Clash, The White Stripes, Sick Puppies, Social Distortion, The Sex Pistols, and the Foo Fighters.

Same pups, same necks, same guitar really. Just the look and shape are up to you.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by grenade24
The pickups are different in the Flying V...

Link to it:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-1967-Flying-V?sku=518098

The pic is just demonstrating the two colors, the one i found is just black.

They both have alnico classic pups. The G400 has covers on them. Thats the only difference. And yes alnico V humbuckers are the same thing with a different name. I'd say go with the V and change the pups and itll sound heaps better. The only other thing you have to think about is if you want the alder body of the V or the mahogany body of the sg.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
They both have alnico classic pups. The G400 has covers on them. Thats the only difference. And yes alnico V humbuckers are the same thing with a different name. I'd say go with the V and change the pups and itll sound heaps better. The only other thing you have to think about is if you want the alder body of the V or the mahogany body of the sg.

Whats the difference?
Sorry i dont know a lot about what guitars are made of, just how to play them...
?!
Quote by grenade24
Whats the difference?
Sorry i dont know a lot about what guitars are made of, just how to play them...

The whole pickup cover thing is such a small difference that you wouldnt really even be able to tell so I wouldnt worry about it. I had the same pickups in my guitar and I noticed a HUGE difference in tone with new pickups. Ordered some dimarzio's from the states and got to canada in a few days. Now for body woods mahogany tends to be a darker wood while alder tends to be a brighter wood.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
The whole pickup cover thing is such a small difference that you wouldnt really even be able to tell so I wouldnt worry about it. I had the same pickups in my guitar and I noticed a HUGE difference in tone with new pickups. Ordered some dimarzio's from the states and got to canada in a few days. Now for body woods mahogany tends to be a darker wood while alder tends to be a brighter wood.

He's asking for the difference in tone in body woods, not covered/uncovered pups.
Answered that in the second part of my post. Mahogany also tends to sustain a bit better imo
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Answered that in the second part of my post. Mahogany also tends to sustain a bit better imo

So are you reccomending the SG or the Flying V??
?!
I hate everything about the G400. Electronics and hardware suck, the neck feels sooo cheap. For the price you are better getting a Washburn WI64 which is like a one horned SG and it is 100X better
Quote by grenade24
So are you reccomending the SG or the Flying V??

I'd recommend the Flying V and then using the money u save with a bit extra to buy 2 new pickups which will really let your guitar sing.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni