Right, I've got 600 max 700 to burn on my first electric guitar (just the guitar, don't worry about amps, anything else) and I've been teaching myself on a 25 year old takamine thus far. I want something that will last, something I will not get sick of when I play it and get better, and I plan on playing a lot of different kinds of music, so I don't want a straight blues guitar or a straight metal guitar or anything. Any ideas on brands or even specific models? So far the responses I've heard most are some kind of Ibanez or a Fender Strat
MIM Strat, then you can use whatever's left over to upgrade the pickups.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
What currency?
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
just look for a good deal on craigslist for a high quality well known guitar in great condition
I learned to play on an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, solid guitar which can play pretty much anything you want it to and should easily lie within your price limit.
Quote by DotSick
MIM Strat, then you can use whatever's left over to upgrade the pickups.

+1

Great guitar for the price, and it can probably do metal if you replace the bridge pickup.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Depends realy on what kind of sound you want and what amp to couple with, let'S say you get a fender hot rod deluxe, gorgeous amp when coupled with single coil pickups, but with humbuckers it's not as great as, say, an orange 30 watts that would really put the extra output provided by the humbuckers into use.

But I'll go with the usual, fender mexican strat, selected so it's not a flawed one, from there it's a matter of pickups & some hardware, it can crunch pretty decently (deep purple, hendrix) & has a really intense lead sound.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Definetly an MIM Fat Strat then.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
for an amp, i'm looking at line 6's spider line because they have fairly small ones (but not too small) so it works as a practice/bedroom amp but also gives me some features like effects and recording capabilities
Spiders may look good on paper, but I would not recommend one.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
I find the sound to be pretty crap tbh. A Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube would be good if you want built in effects. If not then look at Peavey Valvekings if you're on a budget.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by burn the stars
schecter with push pull pots so you can switch between single and humbucker

I played a Schecter Tempest custom at Guitar Center the other day. It has those features. Really nice guitar. Granted, I don't know a heck of a lot (only been into guitars for about 8 months) but I liked the sound, feel and looks better then the other ones I tried. These included a Mexican Fender HSS Strat, a worn brown Gibson Explorer and an Epiphone Les Paul standard. If I had brought my cash stash with me I might have bought it right then. Depending on what stores are around you I'd say look a round and try what you can.
Line 6 spiders are fine for learning, you'll get some good sounds and effects from one. Some ppl on here will totally slate them but don't be put off, they're not as bad as some ppl make out. That said I'd highly reccomend a Vox AD30, I'm looking at getting one shortly.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Quote by Friendly Stoat
I find the sound to be pretty crap tbh. A Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube would be good if you want built in effects. If not then look at Peavey Valvekings if you're on a budget.

Micro Cube FTW
Epiphone G-310 or Epiphone Les Paul-100.
I have played them both in my guitar quest there both great.
yeah I agree for a schecter, they are cheap and they play really well. A strat would be a good choice too since strats are very versatile.