i just bought a peavy windsor amp and was wondering if it is possib'e to swap an el34 for a 6l6 power tube?
No, the current draw is different. The amp isn't set up to handle that much current to the power tubes, so you'd have to check to make sure the PT could handle the extra draw, and then mod the power supply to handle the added current.
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
really? is the pin pattern different?

Just trust Colin on this. He knows tons about amps, & builds amps. If he says it can't be done w/o modding, take his word for it!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
so i would need to order a bigger power transformer if i wanted to do this right. seems like too much work for a subtle tone difference. im just not happy with the clean sound of el34 tubes.
Well, you wouldn't necessarily need a new power transformer. The one in there might be able to handle the current draw, and if it can the mod would just be a few resistor swaps.
The problem with the cleans on the windsor is mostly in the preamp, not the power amp. Some lower gain preamp tubes and some circuit tweaking could get you a better clean tone.
I'd start out by replacing the preamp tubes with 12AT7s, and maybe even a 12AU7 in V1 or V2.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Not to hijack or anything, but would you be able to put El34s in for 84s?
I thought they were similar tubes so maybe?

Narp, the pin pattern, current draw, and wattage are all different.
thanks guys. i think im just gonna sell it in the local bulliten or craigs list and probably get the crate palamino v32 head. i hear nothing but great reviews on it.
The Palomino is discontinued.

If you still have the windsor in about a month and a half, pm me, please.
Some amps do allow you to interchange tubes, however, they have some sort of bias adjuster. Mesa Boogie is probably the most popular amp that does this. Still then, it's only a feature for a few models. Mark IV, Rectifier, and Roadster I believe.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Some amps do allow you to interchange tubes, however, they have some sort of bias adjuster. Mesa Boogie is probably the most popular amp that does this. Still then, it's only a feature for a few models. Mark IV, Rectifier, and Roadster I believe.

Mesa also offer Class switching in certain models which is much more interesting IMO.
Putting some 12at7s, or especially 12au7s in the preamp can definitely give you more clean headroom, but it'll also change the way it breaks up quite a bit. I ran all 12au7s in my Windsor for a couple weeks, and it was like a completely different amp. It probably cut the max volume in half, but it would barely break up with the preamp gain past 7-8. Try it if you can find some cheap 12au7s, or 12at7s, but expect some changes in the way the amp responds to gain.
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
imgooley wanna buy it?

Yeah, but not right now, maybe in a month or two.
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
so i would need to order a bigger power transformer if i wanted to do this right. seems like too much work for a subtle tone difference. im just not happy with the clean sound of el34 tubes.

Clean sound of EL34's? You mean this amp doesn't have good cleans? That's not because of the EL34's, that's because of the circuitry of the amp. The Windsor heads don't have cleans at all.
Should've asked on UG before you bought it; I could've told you that tidbit.
Quote by PaoloJM
Mesa also offer Class switching in certain models which is much more interesting IMO.

If I'm not mistaken the Mark IV, Lone Star, and Express are the only amps that allow that.

With the Mark IV, it just cuts the amp back to it's 2 outer tubes (which can be EL-34's) and runs those in class A mode.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
i just bought a peavy windsor amp and was wondering if it is possib'e to swap an el34 for a 6l6 power tube?

BUMP!!!

Saw this thread and just thought I'd bump it.

Isn't the windsor suppored to be abke to take 6L6GC Tubes from factory?

It's just that I'm interested in getting one to mess about with myself and was wondering how to get the best possible cleans outta it. Fenders use 6L6's, I do know that much, so shouldn't this help with a more crisp and chimey clean tone?
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
^Read the thread, colin thoroughly answered those questions.

If you want better cleans from a windsor then sell the windsor and buy a clean amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not