I'm thinking of upgrading from a Peavey Transtube 258 efx to a better $300-$500 solid state amp. I don't want to go through hassles of a tube amp. I will be using tube OD effects pedals anyways. The amp should be good for rock, alternative, metal and post-hardcore. I can buy a used amp unless it is really trashy. Can anyone help me out?

Also, Im playing it through a Dean Vendetta XM.
Yeah, seriously.

A tube amp doesn't require much more than a solid state amp, and they sound waaay better. Believe me, I had a Transtube 112 EFX.
Hey, I'm Mike.
tubes arent hassle

for metal and for $500 look at bugera

actually a line6 flextone III would probly suit you pretty well
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
a tube amp is only hassle in the sense that you might want to replace a tube after some years....
Tube amps aren't any hassle at all.

But if you are set on solid state then check out a Randall. They make some of the best sounding SS amps, imo, and they are great for heavy stuff.
Another factor for wanting a SS over a tube is because from looking, tube amps seem to be more expensive. But I found a used Randall G3 200 for $350 and am wondering if that is good for what I play (Metalcore, Alternative, Screamo, Deathcore).
Quote by Tiki Rock
Another factor for wanting a SS over a tube is because from looking, tube amps seem to be more expensive.

Because they are tonally superior to SS amps in most cases. In the world of amps, you get what you pay for.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Because they are tonally superior to SS amps in most cases. In the world of amps, you get what you pay for.

Unless you shell out $600 for an MG halfstack.
Then youve basicly thrown your wallet into the fire.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Unless you shell out $600 for an MG halfstack.
Then youve basicly thrown your wallet into the fire.

No, you've simply bought yourself an expensive shelf that has speakers built into it.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
No, you've simply bought yourself an expensive shelf that has speakers built into it.

Oh it has wheels.
Now i can sound bad ON THE GO!

I also agree on the randall stand point.
Veeeery nice
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Tube amps aren't any hassle at all.

But if you are set on solid state then check out a Randall. They make some of the best sounding SS amps, imo, and they are great for heavy stuff.

This. You can get a nice 120 Watt half stack SS for $500.

I foresee a hassle with the volume of tube amps. I don't own one, so I don't know what volumes they sound great on, but from my understanding you need to run them hot to get the tone out of the tubes, and it's not really that great when your parents walk into your room and tell you to sacrifice your tone for the sake of their ear health.

I don't think replacing tubes would be a giant deal though.
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Oh it has wheels.

I also agree on the randall stand point.
Veeeery nice

So Randalls are good amps for the price? Like I said earlier I found a used G3 200 for $350. It is enough watts to play a gig but how are the channels on it? It says it has 2 with 3 modes each, what does that mean?
Quote by Tiki Rock
So Randalls are good amps for the price? Like I said earlier I found a used G3 200 for $350. It is enough watts to play a gig but how are the channels on it? It says it has 2 with 3 modes each, what does that mean?

2 channels, each have 3 modes mode 1: clean, mode 2: vintage hi-gain, 3: modern distortion gain.
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
g3 are damn good

VERY damn good
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK