I've been thinking about getting one just to noodle around on and experiment with a different sound, as I already have a 4 string Fender J bass that suits my normal bass needs fine.

If anyone owns one or has played one before, any input on them?
you better like tapping. all I'm gonna say.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity

He said octaved.

I believe Fsba built his own 8 string fretless, which you could PM him about.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by the humanity

Yea, I'm talking about the basses with 4/5 sets of paired octave strings, much like a 12 string guitar.
I don't own one, but really want one (especially a 10-string), and have done research.

Some notes/things to keep in mind:
1.the octaves strings are almost always above the fundamentals (like on a twelve string guitar). the octave are much, much less prominent when playing fingerstyle or on upstrokes with a pick.
2. as for companies, Hagstrom were the first. They made the H-8 in the 60's. it was a short-scale, SG style bass with single coil pickups. They are cool as hell and I really really want one. However they are expensive. They now have reissues of it, but it's way different from the original.

other companies include:
Dean (just don't get a dean, PLEASE)
ESP (the B-208. it seems like it would be OK if you swapped out the pickups)
schecter (Omen-8 and, one of my absolute favorites, the stiletto studio 8)
Rogue (theirs doesn't seem so bad, actually)
Waterstone (best known for making Tom Peterson's signature 12 string, but they have an 8 string version of it too)
Warwick (custom shop option only. still, few companies make 10 string basses, and I actually wouldn't mind spending the money if the necks weren't so chunky)
Warmoth- always thought one of these would be cool. You'd still have to assemble everything, though.
Godlyke- fairly obscure, and pretty expensive, but hey they do make a 10 string

PS. I just realized that I inadvertently put all those into almost alphabetical order
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
^You can get a custom neck profile if you're serious about a warwick 8 or 10. And the Dean I played wasn't that bad at all (Rhapsody 12- 3 strings per course, so EeeAaaDddGgg). Was very nice to play, sounded great, and took absolutely no time at all to get on with.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Yea, I'm talking about the basses with 4/5 sets of paired octave strings, much like a 12 string guitar.

what? I don't make mistakes!!!!!!

that's fine then, good job. I say Schecter.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
there is this from rondomusic, it's a brice 8 string. cost $300, not bad i'd say if you just want to try it out

Edit: forget the link http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb408.html
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
^ I wouldn't get that, simply because I fear for life of the octave strings on a 35" scale bass. other than that, it doesn't seem like a bad bass, but still, I can imagine strings breaking on that

Quote by Deliriumbassist
^You can get a custom neck profile if you're serious about a warwick 8 or 10. And the Dean I played wasn't that bad at all (Rhapsody 12- 3 strings per course, so EeeAaaDddGgg). Was very nice to play, sounded great, and took absolutely no time at all to get on with.

How much more would the custom neck profile cost? Also, I read a review by a guy who got an Edgehammer 10 (I was looking into getting one at the time). Apparently a lot of the hardware is crap and electronics and stuff are crap. supposed to be good for the price though, I guess.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Don't forget Hamer

/Jeff Ament Fanboism
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by kugelspot

How much more would the custom neck profile cost? Also, I read a review by a guy who got an Edgehammer 10 (I was looking into getting one at the time). Apparently a lot of the hardware is crap and electronics and stuff are crap. supposed to be good for the price though, I guess.

I don't know off the top of my head, but the price list for the Custom shop is on the website (the actual good one, not the shitty Dana B. Goods one).
I own a Galveston 8 string bass.

You kind of have to work on your technique with this kind of bass, especially when it comes to muting unplayed strings.

The chorus pedal comment is BS. An 8 string has a way different sound than a chorus pedal. The only way a chorus pedal relates to these kinds of basses is if you're referring to a 12 string octave bass. That kind of bass has a natural chorus effect because its pretty hard to get BOTH high octave strings in tune. So if you had an 8 string bass, you could kind of replicate the sound of a 12 string bass with a chorus pedal. But a 4 string bass with a chorus pedal will sound nothing like an 8 string bass.

My Galveston used to be a 12 string bass but I found it too hard to adjust and play all 3 strings at once and I hated the chorus effect on it so I converted it to an 8 string and now it plays so easily and sounds great.

If you want to try out an 8 string but don't want to spend too much money, grab a Galveston. Mine is a decent bass, straight neck, no sharp fret edges, decent action, decent pickups/electronics, the bridge is great, it has 8 individual saddles so you can properly intonate each string.
Originally posted by Fendon
your freakin ugly bud

do you have cancer?