Ok.

I'm trying to learn how to do the Hendrix inspired guitar technique of hammering on then pulling off a note very quickly, giving it a tremelo effect. Whenever I try the note fades in volume very quickly, so it produces a poor quality sound.

I can't think of any Hendrix examples off the top of my head, but I know he was known for it. For a more modern example, the tail end of the first part of the intro to Bullet For My Valentine's "Hand Of Blood" has an example of with a hammer-on/pull-off from 7 to 10 and back again.

Any help?
it's all in the finger strength. Keep practicing it, and as your fingers get stronger it should get better.
the Hendrix inspired guitar technique of hammering on then pulling off a note very quickly,
This is called a trill.

Whenever I try the note fades in volume very quickly, so it produces a poor quality sound.

Are you pulling off the note properly(hammering also, but more likely to be the pulloffs causing the problem), and have you started doing it slowly and worked up to speed? It's very unlikely that you can get good at a technique without starting at a pace you're comfortable with.

Also, do you have a decent amount of gain? You're not going to get decent trills on a clean channel regardless of how good you are.

If you want a lot of speed to it, use both hands to trill;

4-7-4-7-4-7-4-7
  F   P   F   P

F being the fretting hand, P the picking hand. Some people regard it as cheating, but it's useful for trilling really rapidly.
This one really is just a lot of practice. A lot of it is in the feel. I would start off with the easiest finger (middle), until the feel comes, while also spending some time with the other two fingers to make sure their strength is coming up. Until you can find that trilling feel just do regular rhythmic repeated hammer and pulls, and it will happen after some time. Here's an old practice lick/exercise that did wonders for me in developing this technique. Of course, you can make up variants that use the 3rd and 4th fingers.

4/4
  Gtr I
  S S S S  E E S S S S E E   S  S S  S S  S S  S S  S S  S E E
|--------------------------|-----------------------------------|----|
|--------------------------|-----------9h10p9h10---------------|----|
|------------7-7h8p7h8-7-9-|-9h10p9h10-----------9h10p9h10-9-7-|----|
|-7h8p7h8-10---------------|-----------------------------------|----|

Quote by MopMaster
This is called a trill.

Are you pulling off the note properly(hammering also, but more likely to be the pulloffs causing the problem), and have you started doing it slowly and worked up to speed? It's very unlikely that you can get good at a technique without starting at a pace you're comfortable with.

Also, do you have a decent amount of gain? You're not going to get decent trills on a clean channel regardless of how good you are.

If you want a lot of speed to it, use both hands to trill;

4-7-4-7-4-7-4-7
F P F P

F being the fretting hand, P the picking hand. Some people regard it as cheating, but it's useful for trilling really rapidly.

I can tap fine, it's more when I try to trill (thank you for the correction) using only my fretting hand, it sounds really quiet. Even if I crank up the gain, I can get an OK sound but then when I start to play riffs/chords etc then you can really notice a massive change in volume. Obviously a change is unavoidable but it sounds really incongruent as it stands.

I'll try practicing slowly and see if that helps. Thanks.
Quote by MopMaster

Gain might make it easier but it is very possible to trill well on a clean channel and even on an acoustic
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Make sure you're actually pulling downwards a little when you pull off, don't just lift it off.
hue