I noticed some surge protectors offer "Noise Filtering"

would this affect the sound on my guitar amp?

Would it be good, bad, or it won't affect the sound?
Also is there be certain surge protector I should get for my 100watt amp?

Will a cheap $10 surge protector strip work just fine?
Quote by guitarkid2113
Just trying to clear this up, but can those be called power strips too? If it is, I've never heard of one that has a noise filter.

a surge protecter pretects your electrionics from electrical spikes, which can damage your computer, ect.

They do come in power strips aswel.
Noise filtering shouldn't effect anything regarding your amp or sound. It is filtering out electrical noise which is basically hiccups in the power line itself.

Power strips are basically just an extension cord used for multiple plugs, but most power strips come with surge protection.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Last edited by scream_it at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by scream_it
Noise filtering shouldn't effect anything regarding your amp or sound. It is filtering out electrical noise which is basically hiccups in the power line itself.

Power strips are basically just an extension cord used for multiple plugs, but most power strips come with surge protection.

thanks.

What are Joules?

For example some surge protectors come with more joules.

typically the more joules, or the expensive.

That's just how much stuff I can hook up and it will be protected right?

How many joules would I need for my 100w half stack?
I believe that's how big of a surge it can protect against. Any surge protector you buy should power your amp just fine.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
thanks.

What are Joules?

For example some surge protectors come with more joules.

typically the more joules, or the expensive.

That's just how much stuff I can hook up and it will be protected right?

How many joules would I need for my 100w half stack?

Joules are a unit of energy.
Unless you're running a bunch of other high-power draws on the power strip/surge protector, Joules will not be an issue to worry about when buying a strip for your amp. I may be wrong, but I think 1836 is a standard for a strip......I know someone can explain the formula better than I could, but that would be fine for you.

Also, I recommend turning the strip off when you are not using the amp. All surge protectors eventually run out of the ability to protect against spikes--keeping current out when the amp is not in use is a little bit of extra protection you can use to your advantage, and saves a bit on your electric bill as well.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by BHowell
Unless you're running a bunch of other high-power draws on the power strip/surge protector, Joules will not be an issue to worry about when buying a strip for your amp. I may be wrong, but I think 1836 is a standard for a strip......I know someone can explain the formula better than I could, but that would be fine for you.

Also, I recommend turning the strip off when you are not using the amp. All surge protectors eventually run out of the ability to protect against spikes--keeping current out when the amp is not in use is a little bit of extra protection you can use to your advantage, and saves a bit on your electric bill as well.

So I was doing research on this topic and a lot of the surge protectors *DO NOT* insure what you have plugged up to it if the surge protector is off.

What a load of crap.

--Thanks for all the info guys! Its been a HUGE help.
I appreciate it!

Other comments or questions are welcome!
I did A LOT of research on this topic so I may be able to answer questions aswel.
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
So I was doing research on this topic and a lot of the surge protectors *DO NOT* insure what you have plugged up to it if the surge protector is off.

What a load of crap.

However, some do offer to replace anything that would fry due to the surge protector not working.

I believe the ones that offer noise reduction are from companies like Monster. I don't trust them for anything. They're nothing short of a corporate money making machine.

The HUM-X might be worthwhile though. I've heard it does it's job extremely well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Typical Walgreens style surge protectors and powerstrips that advertise "noise reduction" might get rid of the usual hum from alternating current, but I dont think they will protect against ground loops, which will hum like crazy. If you're plugged in to an outlet with a ground loop, which happens a lot in old houses, you will get a bad humming noise no matter what. You can get rid of that with a power conditioner/distributer if you use a rack, or like MESAexplorer said, a HUM-X or equivalent. Rapco makes them for like 40$ i think.
^I've never used it, but I've heard a lot of good reviews. just make sure you keep the recipt!
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Spam post removed.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!