I don't know if this would go here, so if doesn't, tell me where.

I just watched that movie August Rush, and I was wondering if anyone knows a good resource to learn lap guitar. I thinks it sounds really cool with all the harmonics and percussion. I tried Google, but it didn't help.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
A better term would probably be two-handed technique. Lap guitar could be easily confused with a steel or slide guitar (plus Michael Hedges called it two-handed technique).

Listen to and watch modern artists. The best contemporary two-handers are on Candyrat records (they have an artist's tab on YouTube). Their primary artists are Don Ross, Antoine Dufour, Andy McKee, and Michael Manring.

Also check out Erik Mongrain (his AirTap! video is how I learned the technique), and of course the father of two-handed, Michael Hedges.

I didn't personally enjoy the movie but the scene in the park with the kid playing and everybody going crazy is originally a Hedges tune.

All of these you can find on YouTube. The best way to do it is to pay attention to their tuning (a lot of the comments on YouTube tell what the tuning is) and where the harmonics are on your guitar. Watch what they do and try to emulate it. It'll take a little time and patience, but if I could pick it up in little time, anybody could. Use an acoustic if you can, but electrics can sound cool as well.

Start with AirTap! (Tuning from low to high is FACFCF if I remember correctly). Good luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k
Thank you, what I've gathered by just messing around with it is it sounds best with an open tuning. Is this true or not?
edit: Oh yeah and is that FACFCF tuned up for the E -> F, e ->F, and B-> C
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Last edited by dubstar92 at Oct 19, 2008,
If you're asking if it sounds better with open tuning, yes. It doesn't only sound better, it's nearly a requirement (I say nearly because you can experiment with different chords in open tuning).
The tuning is correct.