So yeah I'm a senior in high school this year and I have alot of free time on my hands to practice. I'm looking to go to some sort of musical arts college and I'd like to know what your opinions are on what I should practice this last year. Just work on my theory? Or practice guitar techniques n stuff like that.
Quote by mdawg24
Learn to read music if you don't know how to already.

+1

Also lay the smack down on theory, work on it a lot. Don't forget about brushing up on guitar mechanics (just work on it physically ) and keep playing.

What sort of music styles do you play? You could also try branching out and play different genres to expand your playing style.
Last edited by Mwoit at Oct 19, 2008,
I know how to read music but I haven't really gone very far with it as far as reading fast because I don't think it helps much with guitar.. Maybe it would though idk.
Quote by Mwoit
+1

Also lay the smack down on theory, work on it a lot. Don't forget about brushing up on guitar mechanics (just work on it physically ) and keep playing.

What sort of music styles do you play? You could also try branching out and play different genres to expand your playing style.

Mechanics as in adjusting the truss rod, intonation, action, and what not? Yeah I've been doing alot of that lately. I like it alot, I've been practicing on cheap guitars.
Scales and modes. If you're planning on enrolling in a performing arts program they usually make you audition. A lot of people practice a piece and try to perfect it, which honestly most people, given enough time can master any piece. . . given they have a little skill. But knowing your scales and modes can mean more. I know a girl who got a full scholorship (for sax though) buy playing nothing but scales. Scales are the secret code to all music and if you've got your decoder ring it shows you got a great foundation.

'86 Carvin V220
'92 Carvin DC135c
'06 Fender Strat MIM w/Carvin AP11's
'08 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone LTD ED. SG w/EMG 81/85
Schecter Damien FR
'08 Ibanez Prestige RG2610E
'04 Carvin CT4M
'91 Jackson Professional Stealth Pro

Quote by PBI
Scales and modes. If you're planning on enrolling in a performing arts program they usually make you audition. A lot of people practice a piece and try to perfect it, which honestly most people, given enough time can master any piece. . . given they have a little skill. But knowing your scales and modes can mean more. I know a girl who got a full scholorship (for sax though) buy playing nothing but scales. Scales are the secret code to all music and if you've got your decoder ring it shows you got a great foundation.

I agree. But different people need different techniques. We all just need to practice, because learning never stops. The more we know, the more there is to know.
Yeah I've been working mostly on scales lately. I want to get to where I just remember all of them.. Haha I love scales. And I'd like to be able to remember what chords are in all scales too.

And I agree. I know as I get older I'll get better and better but I wish I would have started playing alot earlier because I love it so much haha.

Also what do you guys think about learning piano? I wouldn't mind learning and I think it would help alot with my music theory.