I've been playing for a few years now, and I finally got a job, which means I finally have money to go out and buy some good effects pedals.

I was just wondering what the best brand of pedals would be for Distortion/OD, Baby Cry Wah, Phaser, Flanger, etc etc. (I'm getting it all!!)

My current set up is:

Jay Turser Les Paul
Kustom PRO412A Cabinet
Kustom Quad 200DFX Head
9-42 D'Addario Strings
Fulltone makes nice OD's and Dist.

Dunlop and vox make good wahs.

Just stay away from boss.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Just buy a TC Electronics G-System.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
For OD, OCD is my favorite. Maybe a Dunlop 535Q wah, MXr Phase 90, stuff like that. There is no 1 company I would buy from. And you do realize there are TONS of different effects, right
Frantone
Fulltone
Earthquaker Devices
Zvex
MXR
Quote by mcrfobtai
For OD, OCD is my favorite. Maybe a Dunlop 535Q wah, MXr Phase 90, stuff like that. There is no 1 company I would buy from. And you do realize there are TONS of different effects, right

I know there's alot, it was an exaggeration. I want a bunch of the highly used pedals.

OD/Distortion, Wah Wah, Phaser, Flanger, Reverb, and probably a Chorus.

And I didn't say I was on a tight budget, I just finally got a job. I'm 16 and nothing else to spend my money on =P
Instead of buying so many compact pedals why dont you just buy a multi-effect pedal or a better amp?
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Not all Boss stuff is bad. I love my boss CE-2, its great sounding analog chorus. Its not produced anymore so you have to find it used.
Quote by Knightmare444
I know there's alot, it was an exaggeration. I want a bunch of the highly used pedals.

And I didn't say I was on a tight budget, I just finally got a job. I'm 16 and nothing else to spend my money on =P

You should get a delay too. But yeah, those are pretty much the standards. An average sort of od is the TS808, 535Q wah, MXR phase 90, maybe an electric mistress or something (Not a flanger guy), EHX holy grail, a small clone and a Carbon copy. Or maybe a DD-3
Some people also use fuzzes, but I don't really know what you play
I play mostly Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, Nirvana and other heavy stuff like that. But I also do alot of Foo Fighters, Creed, and Breaking Benjamin.
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Instead of buying so many compact pedals why dont you just buy a multi-effect pedal or a better amp?

Because single pedals>multi-effects.

The effects in multi-effects processors sound cheap and sterile and generally have a very limited range of tweakability, making it very hard in some cases to get the exact sound you want.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

The effects in multi-effects processors sound cheap and sterile and generally have a very limited range of tweakability, making it very hard in some cases to get the exact sound you want.

But they are cheap.
sounds like you'l definitely need a Delay, Chorus,and an OD, if you really like that Nirvana sound get the Small Clone for your chorus. Arron Fink from Breaking Benjamin uses a digitech digidelay, for an OD i'd check out the Ts9 or the Maxon OD-9.

P.S. There are also some nice multi effects units out there, TC electronics makes some of the best, Nova system and the G system but they're expensive.
Last edited by Muramasa at Oct 19, 2008,
You could maybe look into a a ProCo Rat for distortion. It's pretty versatile overall and the clips i've heard of it have been very good.

You could mod a Crybaby or just buy a nice Vox V847.

Those are pretty good places to start but if you're really looking to spend money check out the boutique pedals.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by i_am_metalhead

That's only if you buy a cheap multi-effects processor. I wouldn't describe the G-system/G-force as limited or sterile.

Why are so many people ragging on such a fun topic? Of course you shouldn't buy from just one brand, but who cares?

Subdecay is the best.
1. Go to your local Guitar Center/guitar store.
2. Try out different pedals from different brands and find one you like.
3. ???
4. Profit!
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
Ok here it goes...
Im going to give you the list of my favorite pedals next to what they do.

Phaser - MXR Phase 90 (script or regular is your preferance)
OD - Ibanez TS808 Vintage Reissue
Analog Delay - MXR Carbon Copy
Digital Delay - Boss DD-6 (Discontinued for the DD7 but the DD6 is better IMO)
Compressor - Maxon CP101
Wah - Ibanez WD7 (This thing is very nice and can be customized to very precise taste)
Eq - MXR 10 band eq
Octave - Electro-Harmonix POG
Pitch shifter - Digitech Whammy
Reverb - Electro-Harmonix Holier Grail
Feedback loop - Eye of god ( I Highly recomend lookig up feedback loops if you havent heard of them before.)
I think the maker of the eye of god is Devi Ever?
T.C. Electronic is far and away the best producer of effects.

EDIT: The best MASS PRODUCER of effect, I should say.
Last edited by lumberjack at Oct 19, 2008,
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Ok here it goes...
Im going to give you the list of my favorite pedals next to what they do.

Phaser - MXR Phase 90 (script or regular is your preferance)
OD - Ibanez TS808 Vintage Reissue
Analog Delay - MXR Carbon Copy
Digital Delay - Boss DD-6 (Discontinued for the DD7 but the DD6 is better IMO)
Compressor - Maxon CP101
Wah - Ibanez WD7 (This thing is very nice and can be customized to very precise taste)
Eq - MXR 10 band eq
Octave - Electro-Harmonix POG
Pitch shifter - Digitech Whammy
Reverb - Electro-Harmonix Holier Grail
Feedback loop - Eye of god ( I Highly recomend lookig up feedback loops if you havent heard of them before.)
I think the maker of the eye of god is Devi Ever?

Great list. Only thing I might change is A Keeley Mod Blues Driver for the overdrive, not that there's anything wrong with a vintage tubescreamer. Nothing wrong at all.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
Great list. Only thing I might change is A Keeley Mod Blues Driver for the overdrive, not that there's anything wrong with a vintage tubescreamer. Nothing wrong at all.

Thanks

Plus if your like me and like crazy effects.
Get a Devi ever Bit Mangler
Im gasing for it beyond belief.
Get a DS-1.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Distortion-AMP!!! please buy an amp with good distortion and not waste money on a pedal.
OD - MXR Zakk Wylde, Ibanez TS-9, OCD is good, but it's expensive
Wah - cry baby, morley bad horsie
Phaser - MXR Phasre 90 is the ONLY way to go
Flanger - anything but digital flanger. MXR is only ok for me. i only tried the EVH one.
Reverb - amp. reverb pedal is only good for recording, and most amps have good reverb.
Chorus - MXR Stereo Chorus is the best one, but it's expensive
Delay - Line6 modeller, but it's expensive, MXR carbon copy
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I left out distortion because you shouldnt get one.
Use your amps distortion.
If its not satisfactory, get a new amp.
Most of the amps I've found don't even have pedals to switch to distortion, which is why I was looking into distortion pedals.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']*list of pedals*

I knew it was eventually going to deteriorate into a list-off.

Morley Pro Series Wah (Admittedly, it's not a Bad Horsie, but I also just got it for $15.)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
MXR M-132 Compressor
MXR M-109 Graphic EQ
Seymour Duncan PIckup Booster
ISP Decimator

I suppose mine's a pretty modest list, but I don't really need all sorts of effects. Also, I've never heard of a Bit Mangler until just now, but that. is. awesome. That's going in my chain for sure...when I can afford a chain. I definitely play with the Bit Crusher in Garageband more than anything.
You're*
pshh, right now, I just use an overdrive and a wah. But, I'm planning on building a new overdrive, a fuzz, a tremolo and buying a Carbon Copy. Should be pretty good
Quote by Knightmare444

I'd say look into a money market investment or buying some stocks, just kidding. YOu really can't go wrong with all the previous suggestions. You are going to have to try a few different ones anyway.
this thread is ridiculous.
don't stay away from any company, go and try out / buy anything and everything.
you can ALWAYS sell off what you don't need.

a lot of really wicked pedals go unnoticed because of people saying "that brand sucks" on messageboards such as this.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Survivalism
I knew it was eventually going to deteriorate into a list-off.

Morley Pro Series Wah (Admittedly, it's not a Bad Horsie, but I also just got it for $15.)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
MXR M-132 Compressor
MXR M-109 Graphic EQ
Seymour Duncan PIckup Booster
ISP Decimator

I suppose mine's a pretty modest list, but I don't really need all sorts of effects. Also, I've never heard of a Bit Mangler until just now, but that. is. awesome. That's going in my chain for sure...when I can afford a chain. I definitely play with the Bit Crusher in Garageband more than anything.

I love the Bit Mangler Its so fun!
I want to buy one and duct tape it onto a guitar that would fit with it and use it live in that way.
OH LAWDY MY GAS BE PUMPIN