Hey everyone, i was just wondering about how much would it cost for a Bass Guitar set up at a local guitar shop.
If you bought it from that store not so long ago it should be free, but if not it will probably be like 20 dollars max...
I got quoted £55 + £17 for strings.

I bought the strings and went and did it myself.

Much more rewarding to do it yourself - it's a real skill to have.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman

17 quid for strings??

what where they?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I pay near $50 for my Elixirs.
Make that U.S. $
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by shinhoman
17 quid for strings??

what where they?

x

EB Regular Slinkies from a Independant store called Sheehan's in Leicester.

Reverb (formally SoundControl) are about the same too IIRC.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
i'm gonna go with the EB Hybrids, which are 20. but i just don't know how much the action and tress rod adjust. will cost on top of the string costs.
over 50 whatever is too much for a set up methinks.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
over 50 whatever is too much for a set up methinks.

Dunno... my local shop will do new strings, intonation, action, a good ol' clean (even under those hard to reach places), a nice buff up, tighten stuff up (tuning pegs, input jack etc) and optimise your pickup height for about 50. Considering I buy £25 strings, that's not so bad if I don't have the time to do it myself.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Dunno... my local shop will do new strings, intonation, action, a good ol' clean (even under those hard to reach places), a nice buff up, tighten stuff up (tuning pegs, input jack etc) and optimise your pickup height for about 50. Considering I buy £25 strings, that's not so bad if I don't have the time to do it myself.

With new strings it's understandable.
Bass strings are so expensive.
I miss being able to walk into GC with $10 in my pocket and being able to have a brand new sounding guitar when I got home.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Went into the store not so long ago where I bought my bass, free set up if you bought it there and didnt matter if I did buy it some 16-17 years ago, so when I get some free time to get it down there I will. Have been quoted $80-$120AUS plus strings as well (other shops).
25 - 75 USD in my neck of the woods (Northern Cal). The shop I frequent will usually do a basic setup for free if you buy the strings there (10USD if you don't) and cost around 30 USD for a full setup + the cost of strings. I buy quite a bit of gear there, so I've gotten a few basic setups gratis along the way and a full for about 50% off.
i was quoted £30 including new rotosounds
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
okay when you guys say its 50$ + cost of strings.. that means its 50 bucks with the price of the strings in that, or you add the price of the strings to that 50 bucks?
Quote by Jonnomainman

People should start by doing the simplest tasks such as intonation and string height over a period of time you will gain in confidence and feel quite comfortable with truss rod adjustment. Trying to change the nut without experience can damage your instrument.
Fret work is another story and should only be attempted by a skilled crafts man with the appropriate tools.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn