So I've got an acoustic guitar, except I think it sounds just a little bit too bassy, If I get a thinner gauge of strings will that make it change the sound significantly or not? I've actually never purchased different gauges before after like 5 years of playing..
What brand, style, and gauge are you using now? What brand and model guitar are you using? Do you play with a pick or your fingers?
Lol, I was pretty vague there wasnt I?
I play a Yamaha APX500. I usually play electric guitar and I play mostly rock, but I dabble a bit in other genres, especially when using my acoustic. Currently I use D'Addario strings, and I *think* I'm using 12s (I havent changed my strings for a while so Ive forgotten.) Hope that clears some things up.
And you are talking about playing acoustically or with the acoustic-electric plugged in? I've never really heard the APX500 described as bassy. Tone is of course a matter of opinion though!
Lighter gauge strings definitely give a different sound. You'll probably get less bass with 11's. I wouldn't go any lighter than 11's though.

EDIT:
Quote by jimtaka
And you are talking about playing acoustically or with the acoustic-electric plugged in? I've never really heard the APX500 described as bassy. Tone is of course a matter of opinion though!

That's definitely true though The APX series is all thin body guitars. There isn't much bass to begin with
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Yeah I dunno, it just doesnt sound the same as other acoustics Ive heard played that sound more "sprinkly" for lack of a better word. I will probably mostly be playing it unplugged in my room. Thanks for the advice so far.
Yeah you can try lighter strings, or maybe try Elixir strings. I think they are very bright sounding.

The Yamaha APX500, being a thin body guitar, won't really sound like a big full-bodied dreadnought guitar though. Full-bodied dreadnoughts are what most guitars are.
Coated Strings tend to hold original Tone for a while, but they're pricey. if you get a lighter gauge then it'll get a lighter sound.
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Quote by captivate
Lighter gauge strings definitely give a different sound. You'll probably get less bass with 11's. I wouldn't go any lighter than 11's though.

EDIT:

That's definitely true though The APX series is all thin body guitars. There isn't much bass to begin with

i use 11's, they're fine for me. but they tend to rust up within a few weeks for me, i don't know if it's the strings or my fingers that does it.
^ It's your fingers, the air, basically the whole environment the strings are subjected to once they are removed from the package. A few weeks of continuous playing is a normal time frame for string life. You might get more mileage from a set of coated such as Elixer nanowebs, phosphor bronze make up. These are known to be a bit on the bright side and will have more of that "sparkle" sound you're looking for.
Keep your strings clean too. Wipe them down with a slightly damp cloth after each session. I know, water + metal = rust, but finger oils and contaminants + metal = mega rust.
The reason I don't like to suggest 10's is because they play out of tune really easily. I also find that using thicker strings(12 +13's) allow me to use thicker picks. From personal experience, thicker picks give a lot more tonal complexity than thin picks.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I was thinking, since questions on strings pop out pretty often. Why edit the faq, and add in some information about strings? Like how string gauges affects tone, coated vs uncoated, differences between phospher bronze, bronze or other types of strings, reviews of brands....and maybe a little other information. It would be pretty helpful to anyone who actually bothers to read the faq =D
Quote by Twyman88
(I havent changed my strings for a while so Ive forgotten.).

ha thats probably why its dull and not bright sounding. forget gauge switching just get new strings.
Guild DV-4 Acoustic
Fender Standard Telecaster Ash MIM
Fender Vibro Champ XD
As a staunch advocate for Elixir (no, I don't work for them) I highly recommend the Nanoweb's which are the next generation of their strings (originals were called Polywebs). They ARE indeed a tad more expensive (typically anywhere from $12 - $15 dollars a set, depending on your source), but they are far LESS expensive than the world of strings I USED to live in, .....Thomastik Infelds ($30.00 a set).

They hold up well, and sound great with all-wood guitars......they are a bit tinny with laminents.
"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT