I've been playing for about 9 months, and I feel like I'm not really going anywhere. The other night I just looked at fear of the dark and hallowed be they name and learned to play them both at about the speed of the tabs and in time, but I couldnt do it up to speed with the recordings. And forget the solos. I know some theory, like how to construct the major scale and how to pick out chords that are in key. I can play bar chords and stuff too.

The main thing I want to do is improvise. I learned the major scale and the minor pentatonic positions but it sounds so bad when i play over chord progressions. It doesn't sound creative at all. How can I get to the point where I can improvise? This includes improvising chords (not power chords).
Gear:

Agile AL-2000
Vox ad30vt
Orange 20b bass amp
SX SPJ bass
crappy jasmine branded takamine acoustic guitar
Try reading through the "The Crusade" articles by Josh Urban, they should tell you all you need to know about the theory of improvising. To make solos sound good however you need to get your head around the idea of phrasing. Freepower has written a good article on the subject so I suggest you check it out.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well theory is a great and wonderful thing to know.
I'm going to tell you what my guitar teacher, Dr. Frank Dibussolo at school told my guitar technique class about improvisation.

I don't remember the exact words but it went along the lines of...

They key to improv. is to learn everything you can about scales, keys, and as much music theory as needed for your instrument, and then forget it all and play your instrument in any way you want to get the creative aspect. Then input your theory knowledge to your creative learnings and there ya go.

Thats pretty much what he said.

So I suggest learn theory till your so sick of it its the last word you wanna hear.
Just play! And listen to some improvised pieces. I would suggest some hendrix. I dont consider myself a very good guitarist, but i can get some blues going pretty good. And learn some licks too. But you wont be able to improvise maiden solos any time soon...
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Shred improvising would be pretty sweet but I'm not really trying to achieve that. I just mean like any improvising at this point. Some clapton hendrix esque stuff would be really cool. But I was thinking that understanding how to improvise would help me learn like a maiden solo or something. I can figure out how to tab out a pentatonic scale but I can't really *feel* it enough to improvise I guess. So should I just browse the ultimate-guitar lessons section? or buy a book? any suggestions?
Gear:

Agile AL-2000
Vox ad30vt
Orange 20b bass amp
SX SPJ bass
crappy jasmine branded takamine acoustic guitar
Quote by spark29
Shred improvising would be pretty sweet but I'm not really trying to achieve that. I just mean like any improvising at this point. Some clapton hendrix esque stuff would be really cool. But I was thinking that understanding how to improvise would help me learn like a maiden solo or something. I can figure out how to tab out a pentatonic scale but I can't really *feel* it enough to improvise I guess. So should I just browse the ultimate-guitar lessons section? or buy a book? any suggestions?

1 - Learn theory properly, check out the Crusade articles I suggested. Learn your scales all over the neck and learn them well enough to be able to play them without thinking.

2 - Learn how to phrase a solo well, check out freepower's article on phrasing.

3 - ???

4 - Profit.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
When you find out, lemme know. Im about the same place you are.

And I read that Crusades article and it did nothing for me....
Quote by Axe Murderer
When you find out, lemme know. Im about the same place you are.

And I read that Crusades article and it did nothing for me....

I already knew most of what they contained and I learned a lot from them so you either didn't read them properly or didn't make the effort to understand them - it's not like learning a tab where you're spoonfed every last shred of information, you have to make a bit of effort yourself. At points in the Crusade it'll say things lik "learn x or y", and if you don't take the time to do that then no, they're not going to make much sense.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com