I went down to my local music store today to try out a few amps, one of which I will be purchasing. I just got a new guitar (Agile AD-2300), so I figured, why not get an amp? After all, I've been working with a 10W Epiphone for about 3 years now. I play a kind of punk/southern rock/rockabilly blend. It's hard to describe. My budget is around $600.

The amps I tried were:

The Blackheart BH15H Handsome Devil tube amp head, I plugged it into a 2x12 (which I would buy if I got this amp) and I had some amazing blues/classic rock tones coming out of that baby. The 15 to 7W switch is great too, as I live in an apartment.
$550

The Peavey Valveking 212 combo, I liked the heavier sound I got out of it, and the great distortion. The speakers were horrible though, and the clean was so-so. This had many more knick-knacks to it, reverb, texture, presence, resonance, etc. The reverb sounded okay all the way up (I would never play it like that, but it's just kind of a test). 100W.
$600

The Fender (Hot Rod Series) Blues Junior combo, the cleans were the best out of all the amps (it is what I expected from Fender), and the "fat" switch added some really nice bite to the tone. The reverb sounded great, but when it was turned up (not even all the way) it was really washy and just bad sounding. 15W.
$550

Obviously, the Peavey has the most wattage, while the Fender and Blackheart have the same.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any further experience with these amps, and some possible advice or pros and cons. My favorite was the Blackheart, but the Fender is a real close second. Sorry for the lengthy post, I was really trying to portray the tones I got.
If you're interested in getting a VK get the 112 version... it's the cheapest and easiest to upgrade, as well as the lightest (saves your back...) it'll really roar with a speaker swap and will do metal easily with an overdrive.

Since you live in apartment however I wouldn't recommend the VK as it'll just be too loud and you'll never get to hear it truly sing. Hell, I get complaints from the neighbors playing at a volume of 2 or 3 sometimes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
id go blackheart, since the fender hardly has gain, and the valveking is for metal & sh*t
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I'd say the blackheart. It is a great amp that is good for quieter playing. The Blues Junior is also another option but I like the gain sounds I can get out of the BH more than the BJ. I really don't like te VK. Especially since it really isn't worth upgrading. When you are done, there are better amps for that much money
Quote by Raijouta
If you're interested in getting a VK, don't... it's cheap and not worth upgrading. it'll sound a bit better with a speaker swap but will still only be gain, gain, gain and sound muddy and lifeless... it will do metal easily with an overdrive but your tone will be horrible.

Fixed.

TS: Go with the Blackheart. It is an amazing amp - you won't be disappointed.
Alright, I'm really leaning towards the Blackheart right now, mainly because I can use it for gigging with the 2x12. I already have all the pedals I'd need (reverb, overdrive, etc.) if I wanted to keep the BH just for clean, then stomp on a pedal.

Plus, with the P90 pickups, the bite from the overdrive is just brain-melting.
blackheart ftw

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

either the blackheart or the fender.

I'd say fender, but that's just because I'm kinda a fanboy. And I think stray cats stuff sounds perfect on my fender and gretsch. Look at a deville (or deluxe though, since it seems like you're into the more punk, maybe psychobilly?) and it has more gain. And they sound better turned up, so idk what was wrong with the one you played

that's right, I play rockabilly, we're a rare breed on this forum.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Last edited by l3p4rd at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by l3p4rd
either the blackheart or the fender.

I'd say fender, but that's just because I'm kinda a fanboy. And I think stray cats stuff sounds perfect on my fender and gretsch. Look at a deville (or deluxe though, since it seems like you're into the more punk, maybe psychobilly?) and it has more gain. And they sound better turned up, so idk what was wrong with the one you played

that's right, I play rockabilly, we're a rare breed on this forum.

I just finished watching a few videos on the Hot Rod Deluxe, if that's what you're talking about. I'll try it out sometime this week. On the Blues Junior the "fat" switch just added more treble and bite, not much dirt to it. The Deluxe added a lot more warmth and grittiness to the tone.

I really enjoyed playing around with the Blackheart Handsome Devil head because I could go from a playing some rockabilly licks straight into a kind of punk-rock crunch sound with the twist of the gain. Plus, for the same price I'm getting a 2x12 cab with it. Plus, the pedals I already have can give it even more distortion.
Blackheart.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
In my experience, distortion pedals through good tube amps have alot left to be desired.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
In my experience, distortion pedals through good tube amps have alot left to be desired.

Well, it would be an 'overdrive' pedal.
i think you should check out the peavey classic 30. it kinda has the best of all 3 of those amps... nice cleans, very useable overdrive, and a good amount of wattage.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
New update, found a $400 4x10 Fender Deville on craigslist, I'll check it out tomorrow, I asked if he could hold on for me to try it out, he said yes.
good deal, i got mine for 450. make sure you crank it
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120