So I have an Epi Les Paul Custom, and I'm getting kinda tired off the muddy tone. I want a slightly better blues set-up; what upgrades can I make? I'm looking at a 100-200 dollar price range, and I'm primarily thinking I need better pick-ups, I'll probably buy used. Any suggestions?

Also, what's a good solution for cleaning pots/contacts?

Thanks!
What amp do you have?
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
slap some pickups and a tonepros on it
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Single coils.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by KennethJay
What amp do you have?

Right now, a Vox Valvetronix 60 : \

I don't really gig or make money off of this stuff (just a hobbyist, besides the fact that I do recording/mixing for cash) so I don't usually invest a ton in it. Of course, I have my goals...

I'd like to upgrade to a Fender Super Reverb in the near future, and eventually a Two-Rock Custom Reverb 50w. And of course, Hopefully in the near future, get a Fender Strat (I hear varying things on different models of the strat, which would be a good bet if I wanted more out of a blues tube-driven setup and less of a rock sound? I'm going for the more glassy, smooth SRV / John Mayer style blues.)

And what brand of pickups are at least a bit of an upgrade for my LP?
Quote by Sine
Right now, a Vox Valvetronix 60 : \

I don't really gig or make money off of this stuff (just a hobbyist, besides the fact that I do recording/mixing for cash) so I don't usually invest a ton in it. Of course, I have my goals...

I'd like to upgrade to a Fender Super Reverb in the near future, and eventually a Two-Rock Custom Reverb 50w. And of course, Hopefully in the near future, get a Fender Strat (I hear varying things on different models of the strat, which would be a good bet if I wanted more out of a blues tube-driven setup and less of a rock sound? I'm going for the more glassy, smooth SRV / John Mayer style blues.)

And what brand of pickups are at least a bit of an upgrade for my LP?

If you Know you want a strat then trade some body craigslist.
hey hey, is a guy not allowed to have more than one guitar? lol I prefer feel of a Les Paul neck, playing is very smooth and pliable. The Strat feels more... rigid, it requires more energy to play. So I prefer the play of the Les Paul and the tone of the Strat, so I guess I'd eventually like one of each.
Maybe stick an HB sized P-90 in?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
try Seymour Duncans. the Custom 5 is perfect for mahogany bodied guitars.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
So I'm looking at mayyybe... A custom-5 on the neck and P90 on the bridge? Or would it work better the other way around? (Sorry for the naivety. despite my broad exposure to guitar, I've never really tinkered around with the electronics or customizing before)
other way around. The Custom 5 is a bridge pickup with about 1.6 times as much output (14k DC resistance to about 8k respectively) as a P-90. Just be aware you'll need to buy a humbucker sized P-90 (SD Phat Cat, GFS Mean/Dream 90) as regular P-90s are differently sized than a humbucker.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.