im just wondering if any one can point me in the direction of some good old school rock solos or blues!
Quote by youngncy
im just wondering if any one can point me in the direction of some good old school rock solos or blues!

august burns red
lol
YOUTUBE
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by youngncy
dont give me that penatonic crap lol!
Why? That was pretty much the only scale used in rock music for a decade, the decade in which you express interest.
Search up some of the Pink Floyd solo's like Money, they're not bad.
Music is the freedom of sound.

-jB.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Why? That was pretty much the only scale used in rock music for a decade, the decade in which you express interest.

Well said. He wanted classic blues/rock and doesn't want pentatonic scales
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
august burns red
lol
YOUTUBE

thats not old school

but listen to some G'nR, Rush, Boston, or other similar bands.
There we go I have nothing but respect for the penatonic scale but well its overused lol!
"Shook me all night long" is a great solo to learn. It contains a lot of cool bends. Switching between major and minor. And some great call and response licks. This is one that I teach everybody who wants to learn lead.
Quote by youngncy
There we go I have nothing but respect for the penatonic scale but well its overused lol!
For a damn good reason. It's awesome and the only scale that can be called magical.

Rock/blues and so on isnt really about which scale you use. It's more about phrasing and attitude and so on. You can hear in alot of great metal guys using ye olde pentatonics but sounding completely new, this is because their phrasing rocks and is original.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Oct 31, 2008,
if you limit yourself to only 5 notes (pentatonic) you greatly decrease the possibilities of improvisation.
Bollocks - a good guitarist can create a memorable solo from just two notes. That's the beauty of the guitar, the amount of control you have over it....even a single note offers near endless possibilities as far as how you can play, modify and manipulate it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by demonofthenight
For a damn good reason. It's awesome and the only scale that can be called magical.

Rock/blues and so on isnt really about which scale you use. It's more about phrasing and attitude and so on. You can hear in alot of great metal guys using ye olde pentatonics but sounding completely new, this is because their phrasing rocks and is original.

Exactly, Eric Johnson doesn't sound like many other players but still uses pentatonics (sprinkled with a few extra notes at times), it's because he does things like end on a root an octave above the root you expect, among other things.

Other classic (not so much old) rock solos's Pearl Jam - Alive, Any Hendrix (most notably though) - All along the watchtower etc.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Zeppelin

+1
Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Dire Straits
G'N'R

Man if you can't seriously think of some awesome rock solos off the top of your head that you want to learn are you sure you're cut out to play guitar?? - Just a question.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
+1
Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Dire Straits
G'N'R

Man if you can't seriously think of some awesome rock solos off the top of your head that you want to learn are you sure you're cut out to play guitar?? - Just a question.

Yeah, i agree. If you like old school rock solos, you propably should know some?

And most of them aren't too hard either. If we aren't talking about Heartbreaker or something like that.

('xcuse me, i'm a bit drunk)
My gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Squier Fat Strat Deluxe
Yamaha FG700 Acoustic
Old Nylonstrung Acoustic

Peavey Classic 50w 2/12
Roland Cube 30X
Roland Cube 60 (30~ years old)
Vox 847A Wah Pedal
Digitech Bad Monkey
Old Ibanez Rack Delay
Quote by youngncy
Thx guys and dont give me that penatonic crap lol!

And what the ****? WHAT is an old school rock solo not in pentatonic?
My gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Squier Fat Strat Deluxe
Yamaha FG700 Acoustic
Old Nylonstrung Acoustic

Peavey Classic 50w 2/12
Roland Cube 30X
Roland Cube 60 (30~ years old)
Vox 847A Wah Pedal
Digitech Bad Monkey
Old Ibanez Rack Delay