i have a fender fm 65r amp. i dont really like the distortion. i was thinking of getting a ds1 distortion pedal. on the amp, the distortion channel has gain, volume, treble, mids, bass, mid contour, and reverb, where as the clean channel (the channel id be using with a pedal) has only volume, treble, and bass. should i continue using the amp distortion for the more tone capabilities or use a pedal?

and im getting a new amp for christmas, this is just to hold me till then.

also opinions on the ds1?
Quote by freddaahh
I just head-desked so hard I went through the floor and came out in Mongolia.
The bigger FMs don't like pedals.

Hate to say it, but new amp :/
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
The bigger FMs don't like pedals.

Hate to say it, but new amp :/

will the distortion from a pedal help me with the sound a little? any type of pedal, not just the ds1
Quote by freddaahh
I just head-desked so hard I went through the floor and came out in Mongolia.
^Put it towards your new amp, no since trying to polish a turd.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i had same amp, did not handle the ds1 unless it was already on the distortion channel...for heavy distortion it did handle the big muff pretty well...i use a blues jr live now and like it a lot more...so id say new amp
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
what amp are you getting at christmas, put your $100 or whatever you want to spend now toward an OD pedal possibly or an EQ or something else once you get new amp.

DS-1 would be a waste of money on a lot of amps imo and xmas will be here before you know it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
what amp are you getting at christmas, put your $100 or whatever you want to spend now toward an OD pedal possibly or an EQ or something else once you get new amp.

DS-1 would be a waste of money on a lot of amps imo and xmas will be here before you know it.

I second this...

If you are getting a new amp for christmas (let's assume it's decent), then there's no need to buy a pedal, as with the new amp, your distortion/overdrive should be what you want onboard, and not provided via pedal.

Plus, the DS-1 and DS-2 are pretty horrid. They are good for a boost, in some cases, but the distortion they bring is just bad (to my ears). You're much better off using the onboard distortion/overdrive to get the tone you want.
It's not a bad pedal; it's not amazing, but yeah, mine doesn't do it for me.

Try and get at least a small tube amp for Christmas, since tube amps tend to handle pedals a lot better. In the meantime, definitely get an overdrive pedal, so you'll have it for when you your amp. Depending on the amp, I think you'll be satisfied.

Which amp were you lookin' at?