I've been playing shred drills along with a metronome now; I can't play very fast yet because I put most of my focus into accuracy and cleanliness. Anyway, I'm just wondering what would be a good shred song that isn't too difficult that would combine lots of shred techniques. I'd be into anything, but I generally prefer stuff like Vai and am not very into Dimebag....
Thanks.
Glasgow Kiss - John Petrucci

The main riff is a fantastic cross-picking exercise, and the rest is a great way to really learn to 'feel' the song.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Heretics and Killers by Protest the Hero. The intro is relatively easy sweep picking.
bands/artists I've seen: Protest the Hero, LIGHTS, Andrew Bird, Flight of the Conchords, Incubus, Nine Inch Nails, Between the Buried and Me, Guthrie Govan, Cynic, The Devin Townsend Project, Scale the Summit, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Darkest Hour
turn soonest to the sea by protest the hero, or anything by a7x.

the intro to turn soonest to the sea combines string skipping, classical pivots, a bit of sweeping, and some tapping as well. good riff.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Ulrich Roth/Scorpions - Sails of Charon.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Ulrich Roth/Scorpions - Sails of Charon.

Testament's cover is also quite a good "Shred" workout.
Try Starry Night by Joe Satriani.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Little hard?

It's not hard compared to most "Shred" stuff, I guess I could recommend "easier" stuff ?
Quote by Orbit91
It's not hard compared to most "Shred" stuff, I guess I could recommend "easier" stuff ?

Reb Beach isn't exactly known for picking licks though, I think an important part of song choice is that it has the whole variety of techniques in it. That said, if I was as good as Reb at tapping I would use it a whole lot

Any shred song is beginner if you slow it down enough, which you should do for all shred licks.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Reb Beach isn't exactly known for picking licks though, I think an important part of song choice is that it has the whole variety of techniques in it. That said, if I was as good as Reb at tapping I would use it a whole lot

Any shred song is beginner if you slow it down enough, which you should do for all shred licks.

Well, I've got quite a few easy Tony MacAlpine and Vinnie Moore songs, but that depends on the TS phrasing, it needs to be quite good =X

And Reb's not really that fast at tapping, he's just very melodic with it.
Liberty - Steve Vai
I'm the hell Outta here - Steve Vai
Gentle Ways - Steve Vai
The Attitude Song - Steve Vai
For The Love of God - Steve Vai
The Crying Machine - Steve Vai
Scarified - Paul Gilbert
Viking Kong - Paul Gilbert
Surfing with the Alien - Joe Satriani
The Mystical Potato head Groove Thing - Joe Satriani
The Extremist - Joe Satriani
Bark at the Moon - Ozzy Osbourne
Hot for Teacher - Van Halen
5150 - Van Halen
hue
+1 for Scarified and Technical Difficulties
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by Doodleface
Glasgow Kiss - John Petrucci

The main riff is a fantastic cross-picking exercise, and the rest is a great way to really learn to 'feel' the song.

Yes, but there is a pretty difficult sweeping section in the solo from the 24th fret beyond.
Quote by Jimi-is-god

Always with me always with you- Joe Satriani

+1

I'm learning this right now. It's fairly easy, even for some of the faster bits. Fun to play too. I would recommend this if you really are just starting out. Paul Gilbert stuff is good but I wouldn't consider Scarified to be a beginner song.
Quote by Myung-trucci
More notes per second=more emotion per second.
Take a look at Erotomania by Dream Theater. It's not that hard. It's got a bit of everything, but most of the shapes are fairly easy.

After that, you might want to Scarred. It has one of the best DT solos I've ever heard.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Wow a lot of the songs you guys recommended are too hard for beginning shred songs (Scarified, Technical Difficulties, Glasgow Kiss, etc.).

I recommend doing always with me always with you by joe satriani
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
try "Always with me, always with You" by Satriani, or "Damaged" by John 5.
Also try "The forgotten part 2" by Satriani.. a nice not too fast instrumental to check out is "Aphasia" by Europe!
Overture 1928 by Dream Theater. It's easier than most of the songs mentioned here, and isn't nearly as long.

It helps you work on your picking skills, with the chugging stuff in the intro and some moderately fast picked licks (16th triplets at around 110bpm so it won't be too bad) and the harmonized interlude after the 2nd guitar solo is a good cross-string alternate picking workout.