I need some critique on this guitar solo I wrote...
This was in March 2008, so I've gotten better since then,
but please tell me anything that I could work on
in this...

All I hear is "good job", but thats from people who don't
play, so I really don't know if its good enough for
my age (I guess...) I'm 14...

"Who died and made you David Lee Roth???"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvR-B4srlXs
Last edited by kramer5150+ at Oct 19, 2008,
You didn't play anything wrong (no audible mistakes), but to me-- being harsh here-- the thing was slightly boring. The chunky riffs you played between the tapping parts was fine, but it sounded disconnected. Not to say that you should fill every second with notes, but a bit of connection in between the parts would help everything flow.

But you didn't mess up and didn't try to overdo yourself, so great job on that. Good job on the part that starts at 2:16, pretty dang catchy to me.
pretty good especially for fourteen.... wish i played guitar at that age!
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Too. Much. Gain.

Seriously, I'm a fan of metal and high-gain as much as the next guy but that much gain just means that your playing looses definition, especially on the lower notes.

Playing wise it was fine but you should incorporate more guitaristic elements into it like bends, double stops and all that kind of stuff. You should also try using your pinky a lot more, I think I spotted a couple of incidents in there when you should have used a different finger for what you were playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Too. Much. Gain.

Seriously, I'm a fan of metal and high-gain as much as the next guy but that much gain just means that your playing looses definition, especially on the lower notes.

Playing wise it was fine but you should incorporate more guitaristic elements into it like bends, double stops and all that kind of stuff. You should also try using your pinky a lot more, I think I spotted a couple of incidents in there when you should have used a different finger for what you were playing.

Looking back I realize I did use too much gain...
I think it was set on like 9?
Now I use about 2.5 to 3 on it...
and call me crazy, but what are "double stops"?
you could change your amp =]

</3 crates
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....
Quote by True Dreams
you could change your amp =]

</3 crates

What would you suggest?
Quote by kramer5150+
and call me crazy, but what are "double stops"?

Any 2 notes played at once, usually on the same fret on guitar, they sound really good and bluesy if you add vibrato or slight bends.

Example:

e|----
b|----
g|----
d|-7b-
a|-7b-
e|----

That kind of thing.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
how old is that kramer?
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Any 2 notes played at once, usually on the same fret on guitar, they sound really good and bluesy if you add vibrato or slight bends.

Example:

e|----
b|----
g|----
d|-7b-
a|-7b-
e|----

That kind of thing.

Yeah, I normally do that on the B and G but its only
when I'm playing a scale on a slow song...
it was good for your age group, kinda. But I found it slightly boring.

Then again I just don't like tapping, it gets way overused by beginners.

Was it a contest you were in? if so what place you come in?
Quote by jordanzio
how old is that kramer?

I honestly have no clue...
Its not American made if thats what you
were thinking...:]
I traded like 5 pedals for it...
The guy who owned the store
was selling it $365...

I changed the pickups:
Dimarzio Evo 2 bridge
Duncan Designed (??) in neck

I think it might be about 6 or 7 years old...
Quote by kramer5150+
Yeah, I normally do that on the B and G but its only
when I'm playing a scale on a slow song...

The good thing about double stops is that, in theory, they can be any two notes you want so you shouldn't restrict yourself to two strings, I'm just trying to get you to introduce more of the things that make the guitar sound different to any other instrument so you don't end up playing something that would be just as easily played on a piano or whatever.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by kramer5150+
What would you suggest?

somthing like this.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=481331
or this.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head?sku=481170

Peaveys are awsome ^^ and these ones are not too expensive
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....
Quote by guitarded8one
it was good for your age group, kinda. But I found it slightly boring.

Then again I just don't like tapping, it gets way overused by beginners.

Was it a contest you were in? if so what place you come in?

I got 2nd, but I still advanced to the National Level. I couldn't go to it because I was supposed to go to band camp that week (I'm also a percussionist). Turns out that I didn't do band, so I could have went but I didn't register in time.

What techniques could I have used to make it better?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The good thing about double stops is that, in theory, they can be any two notes you want so you shouldn't restrict yourself to two strings, I'm just trying to get you to introduce more of the things that make the guitar sound different to any other instrument so you don't end up playing something that would be just as easily played on a piano or whatever.

Lol :] I had a friend who used to say that, about the piano.

I have been trying to learn how to sweep-pick, but its just not coming to me. Is there anything I could do to get that working better?
Quote by True Dreams

I have kept my eye on the Valveking for the past couple of months, but with money being as tight as it is, I really just can't afford to upgrade.
Somebody needs to go buy a couple of Hendrix CD's and listen to them till the CD player melts.

Sorry bro, but I didnt like it. Aside from the horrid tone, there was zero musicality to anything you were doing. It just seems like a showcase of "tricks" with noise going on in the background.

You has a somewhat cool melody going at one point, but you didnt expound on it at all.

I give you a B for effort though.
Quote by Axe Murderer
Somebody needs to go buy a couple of Hendrix CD's and listen to them till the CD player melts.

Sorry bro, but I didnt like it. Aside from the horrid tone, there was zero musicality to anything you were doing. It just seems like a showcase of "tricks" with noise going on in the background.

You has a somewhat cool melody going at one point, but you didnt expound on it at all.

I give you a B for effort though.

What part would you say was the coolest melody?
Quote by kramer5150+
I have been trying to learn how to sweep-pick, but its just not coming to me. Is there anything I could do to get that working better?

I'm going to sound really harsh when I say this so please don't take it personally.

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!

Now for the why: You need to work more on the things that make a guitar sound like a guitar, I'm talking unison bends, double stops and above all: vibrato!

Seriously, there was not one single bit of vibrato in that whole solo and that's just not right.

Speed is not something exclusive to guitar and if you're going to play a solo then you should try and at least incorporate some elements that make it so that you couldn't play it on the piano behind you in the video.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
pretty bland and boring.

Yeah you didnt mess up, but its kind of hard to mess up such a simple piece.

the tapping was entirely rudimentary, and very unoriginal.

You seem to be a beginner, so good job if you are. Takes some balls to play infront of people when you arent super confident and havent been playing for many years.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
To be honest, that was pretty weak. Not much going on, and pretty sloppy. However, the right hand-capo bit was really sweet.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I like it how no one's really excited until you start tapping. :p

good job though, it wasn't too show-offy and was pretty good, although I probably would have avoided the amount of chugs and tried to do a little more interesting chord stuff, whether it be power chords or something, but still, kudos.
Not to sound harsh, but to me that just didn't sound musical.

Like, it was just chugging on the E string with way too much distortion and a couple of tapping licks now and then. By just really showing people that you can tap, you're focusing too much on what you think will impress them and what will actually impress them (i.e. melody, phrasing, tone, technique).

It may be easy to impress non-guitarists with stuff like tapping, but it's not gonna impress your peers man. I recommend laying off the more advanced stuff and look up some lessons or articles on the stuff I mentioned earlier. Also try listening to some of the greats and learning their stuff (Hendrix, Clapton, Led Zeppelin) for ideas on phrasing (one of the most important aspects of soloing and music in general).

The whole thing with vibrato too... Vibrato is insanely important. Lack of/or crap vibrato basically makes or breaks you as a player. End of. It's the difference between "Yeah, that guy's pretty good" and "that guy ****ing sucks". Soooo yeah, listen to how the greats do their vibbing and develop that technique most importantly for now.

-EDIT- And another thing. Tapping or playing fast does not automatically make your piece or you as a player cool. What makes you cool is NOT playing like that, in the knowledge that you CAN do that if you really needed to. Otherwise you're just a wanker.
Last edited by Steve The Plank at Oct 20, 2008,