I dread these threads, the which amp threads. Ill try to make it easy for you guys.

Ive currently got a 6505+ im selling, so thats a big no.

I want an amp that can do a lot of styles well, which I know is hard to come by. Ill use Opeth as a basis for tone. They do everything from really heavy to really soft clean stuff.

Im looking for tube, around 50 watts, Im trying to not make the mistake of buying an 100 watt tube head ever again.

Price is say around 1400, give or take a few hundred.

At least two channels is ideal.

I dont mind if it is a head or combo for now, I want to keep my options open.

Suggestions?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Last edited by dcdossett65 at Oct 19, 2008,
I have. I dont like them enough to buy one. The only one I sorta liked was the Roadking..and it was not worth the price. Maybe to some people, but not me. It sounds well...just like everyone else.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by mcrfobtai
Yeah, mesa, ENGL screamer, stuff like that. 6505+ perhaps?

I have a 6505+.

Jesus, I said i want a versatile amp.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I think the ENGL might be good for you. A Screamer, Fireball, Thunder and Blackmore (used) are all in your price range. They have tons of gain and are very tight
Do they have good cleans though? I dont mean like passable 6505+ with reverb cleans, I mean GOOD cleans
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I don't think it gets much more versatile in a single head than a Mesa Boogie Mark IV. The knobs are extremely sensitve with numerous pull options to shape the tone along with the high quality, on-board EQ (even if it is only 5 bands). Just make sure there is something other than a JJ tube in V1 (Russian Mesa and Tung Sol both sound pretty good there for cheap options). Mine currently has a Tung Sol in V1, JJ high gains in V2-V3, Mesa AT7 in V4 and balanced JJ in V5. Sounds great, though I'd recommend getting a head/cab if possible (might be hard with that budget, but possible if you got a good deal on a Mk IV like I did and got a 2x12 cab).

Even the clean channel is very clean with the right pups (a Seth Lover in the neck of my WR1 has sounded the best so far for me with clean).

The Mark IV also has the half/tweed power option that uses only the two outer tubes, so you can use different outer tubes for even more versatility.
Last edited by 4regt4 at Oct 19, 2008,
carvin v3? 3 channels, very versatile with each channel having 3 voicing. 50/100 watt switch. sounds right up your alley
Quote by 4regt4
I don't think it gets much more versatile in a single head than a Mesa Boogie Mark IV. The knobs are extremely sensitve with numerous pull options to shape the tone along with the high quality, on-board EQ (even if it is only 5 bands). Just make sure there is something other than a JJ tube in V1 (Russian Mesa and Tung Sol both sound pretty good there for cheap options). Mine currently has a Tung Sol in V1, JJ high gains in V2-V3, Mesa AT7 in V4 and balanced JJ in V5. Sounds great, though I'd recommend getting a head/cab if possible (might be hard with that budget, but possible if you got a good deal on a Mk IV like I did and got a 2x12 cab).

Even the clean channel is very clean with the right pups (a Seth Lover in the neck of my WR1 has sounded the best so far for me with clean).

The Mark IV also has the half/tweed power option that uses only the two outer tubes, so you can use different outer tubes for even more versatility.

ive never tried a mark series..it sounds promising though. I already have a cab, so this is just for the head.

Few questions:

Why are the discontinued? Are the unreliable or something?

Can you send me a link to some good sound clips of one?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
ENGL Screamer or Fireball. The Screamer will probably be more versatile, but if you're mostly leaning towards balls to the walls metal, the Fireball is the way to go.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by dcdossett65
ive never tried a mark series..it sounds promising though. I already have a cab, so this is just for the head.

Few questions:

They are extremely reliable amps. The Mark IV is John Petrucci's #1 amp and the amp that was used on Metallica's "Black Album" (attached to other gear of course) -- the Mark amps don't have the harsh fizz that the Rectos and such have either.

As for being discontinued... there is specualtion that the Mark V will be released/announced soon.
What would the Mark V cost new? Im having trouble finding Mark IV's below 1500-1600
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
What would the Mark V cost new? Im having trouble finding Mark IV's below 1500-1600

I got mine for $1125 shipped (lucky). But others on eBay were often going for $1265 + $40-60 for shipping. There are those that go for $1600-2000 too -- the market has been crazy on them since they were discontinued, but the economy is down too, so who knows what you could get.
Splawn Nitro
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by 4regt4
They are extremely reliable amps. The Mark IV is John Petrucci's #1 amp and the amp that was used on Metallica's "Black Album" (attached to other gear of course) -- the Mark amps don't have the harsh fizz that the Rectos and such have either.

As for being discontinued... there is specualtion that the Mark V will be released/announced soon.

Didn't McTallica use MKIIc's on the Black Album?

Also: You can get a MKIII head for 750.

Also: It'd be worth it to give the Stiletto Deuce a go, to see if you like it.

Also: Run a dual amp rig?
Quote by dcdossett65

Few questions:

Someone playing a Petrucci solo with one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHkqkL3ecTU -- most of Petrucci's live stuff is with a Mark IV as well if you look any of that up. Bunch of stuff on youtube with the Mk IV.
Quote by imgooley
Didn't McTallica use MKIIc's on the Black Album?

Also: You can get a MKIII head for 750.

Also: It'd be worth it to give the Stiletto Deuce a go, to see if you like it.

Also: Run a dual amp rig?

II C+ on Master and Justice (good luck justifying the price on one of those). IV was introduced on Black Album (not the exclusive sound on it though, but a good idea). Mk IV can get a perfect MOP tone though too.

Mk III is great as well. Supposedly a red stripe is very similar to a II C+, but he asked for versitility and the Mark IV definitely has that covered.
Last edited by 4regt4 at Oct 19, 2008,
To the guy who said the Nitro. That's 1900 and I doubt you can find it new. But my next suggestion was gonna be the MkIII. I would keep looking for a used 4 though. At this stage, you shouldn't sacrifice anything. Don't cheap out.